Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Alice from Monster Girl Quest ( Cryengine)

TAN
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
TAN polycounter lvl 12
Hi everyone ! I finished my first character model after all these time !

Alice from Monster Girl Quest ! She deserved a good 3D model ! :D

I got all renders from Cryengine real-time. I used Lightbox of Geo from Crydev ( Credits to him )

So, she has Physics Based ( Real-time) hair, Screen Space SSS, I modeled her in Max+ Zbrush and used CAT in max to animate her.

That is my first "serious" character so to speak. You can find both screenshots and a video of turntables and animations I made ( By no means I am a " rigger" by the way)

So here we go;

70ljeUr.jpg

OsRFv5M.jpg

w38F7Eh.jpg

hAs4DKF.jpg

Face animatiooons ! :D

20YFptk.jpg

E8xHPFQ.jpg

L12FLZR.jpg

8mAQ9WB.png

These are the references I used

SFtAN9l.png

mpWomen.png

WWyCLu3.png

bnZUJka.jpg

Here is the video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCJAQA-c1rQ"]Alice - Youtube[/ame]

So people. I really want to be good character artist. So I need every kind of feedback I need from all of you. C&C please ! SO basically kick my ass please :D

SO until then I am jumping to Noob Character Challange. Thanks everybody !

Replies

• TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    The charakter is cool but i dont like the ugly background and the blue cryengine logo.
    Cryengine is cool but this blue logo disturb so much.

Maybe use an Toolbag 2 Trial for this presentation? ^^
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    I don't agree with this. The background is good in my opinion, because its not getting your attention from the character itself.He is showing a character, not a background. But you are right about the cryengine logo.

TAN - I like the character, but not the animations. They are weak, so I wouldn't show them with the presentations, just if they would be better. One more thing that you could improve is the hair. Its not detailed, and I see a floating part in it. Also, the textures could use more definitions.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Uhhmm...yeah...you´re right. The Background is Ok, but the CryEngine Logo definitly disturbs.
    But i like the Toolbag Grey more :P

To come back to the char:
    The charakter is as i said cool but she is looking a bit flat.
    Don´t know...maybe wrong light settings..or missing AO ?

Gazu
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    @ Obscura and @ Gazo

You are right I guess. I will hide that logo next time. Thanks for pointing that out. :D

I really wanted to test out a bit of animations really. But now I got solid feedback from veterans, I am going to only put her "turntables" in the video. Thanks a lot for the heads up !

About flatness. I guess I screwed up the lighting at that part. I wanted to make a 3 point simple lighting for her. But I guess that didn't worked out.

For reference here is how she looks in max:

z7tLrlC.jpg

FmKmeNn.jpg

Now you guys mentioned it I put her in another level and I guess I really screwed up lighting there. What do you people think ?

QNDo1Kf.jpg

Also obscura, what do you exactly mean by " floating point" ? You mean some unassigned vertices ? . Can you point out where it is exactly ?

I will repost the video here again today as soon as I edit it. Thanks for the feedback and keep it coming people :D
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    presentation in the forest level is much nicer :) congrats on completing a full character including animation and technical setup! good job!
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    I confirm that. The Presentation in the CryEngine looks so much better.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    OK people. Quick update upon your feedbacks ! She now also has Glow i n her eyes and Gloss on her golden ornaments. For hair I did what I could.

Screenshot and a new video ! So is it better presented now ?

BQH8SHY.jpg

TdN5SCh.jpg

JiUCTTj.jpg

3CilROo.jpg

XqM20QB.jpg

GsZ8Eeo.jpg

KR4V6ho.jpg

Turntables video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rQaThyYiuI"]Alice - Youtube[/ame]
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Nice job so far. I do have to say that there is no depth to your texture. It looks flat and blown out. Why bother putting it in cryengine if it is just going to look like a flat painted surface. Really push those normals and specs. I'd suggest doing a cavity map to add to your AO. You can play around with it and definitely push the depth. Also maybe a little color variation in her skin as well.
    Just my two cents. You are doing a great job and pretty well rounded.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Dimfist wrote: »
    Nice job so far. I do have to say that there is no depth to your texture. It looks flat and blown out. Why bother putting it in cryengine if it is just going to look like a flat painted surface. ?

That is what I exactly realised after I put her in Cryengine :D

I never asked myself " Why putting a cartoon character in Cryengine ? " :D And result is just as you say, she is kinda flat.

Really thanks for pointing to cavity map by the by. I never tought of that :D

Now how do you add a Cavity map to your Cryengine material ? :D Just kidding :D Will find a way of course :D
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    For your first serious character I think it turned out really well

I don't think the problem is that it's a cartoony character, it just looks like you rushed the sculpt so the forms are soft and not very well defined. More texture resolution in the face would have been a good idea too

You should have spent a lot more time on the hair in my opinion, it's very important for characters and right now it just looks like you just pulled a bunch of pieces out of a single mesh with the snakehook brush.

Also is this character seriously 90k polygons?
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    Looks very good but i think its better to make the highlight for her dress in the specular and not hand drawn.
    Her hips (and ass) can be a little bigger or the waist more narrow the reference has more power (and sey factor :\ ) in the form.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    @ AtticusMars

Invest more efforts in hair - Noted :D

Increasing texture resolution for face - Noted ( Will make a different texture for face and eye from now on )

Proportions: Hımm so I missed the " sharpness" of the figure then. Dammit. I really worked on that specifically though. Any point you can guide me about that AtticusMars ?

Note: 90k polygons? Hell no :D I had used Morph Targets for her face animations before and they are hidden. She half that amount or something :D

@
    Cibo

Hip / Waist Ratio: How the hell did I miss that opportunity ?! I am so angry at myself now. Thanks Cibo. That reall made me see what you mean.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    OK. People I have noted down all your C&C's. I am now jumping to Monthly Noob Character Challenge Before it is too late to make some good art. Time is limited.
    I will use everything you guys have showed me here and that model will be even better.

When I complete it 10 days later I am expecting you guys to drop and give me feedback again :D

Thanks for everything people.