Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Abandoned Theater - Portfolio Building

John Ehresmann
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
John Ehresmann polycounter lvl 4
Hey everyone,

Right now I'm in the last 4 months of Full Sail's Game Art program (Online) so now I'm starting to work on building my portfolio. For this months work, I'm doing an abandoned warehouse shot, so I figure I'd try and get some feedback from the awesome people here, because I really want to push this project as far as I can.

Ehresmann_John_GPF1_Moodboard_zpsd62515ce.jpg

SkillmanTheatre-InteriorJPG_zps489852ba.jpeg

windows_wire_zps0d149a5b.png

windows_nowire_zps921c0ec2.png

Right now I'm just going past the blocking out the shot in Maya stages, and moving on to getting the different assets for the shot modeled before starting to go and bring everything into UDK. Hoping to have most of the work done for modeling sometime tomorrow or Friday.

As always, critiques are welcome on what you're seeing, and looking forward to seeing how far I can push this, my goal is to try and get something close to PS4/Xbox One in terms of final presentation.

Update #1 Just posting some adjustments I've made to the blockout/working on some of the windows. Going to take in some of suggestions made by Polygoblin, and look at adjusting some of my reference.

~John

Update # 2

greybox_5_1_nonwired_zpscecaac28.png

greybox_5_1_wired_zpsff90f765.png

greybox_5_2_nonwired_zpsb871aa86.png

greybox_5_2_wired_zpsc80fab57.png

Update # 3

chairs_nowire_03_zps7538cffd.png

Chairs_wired_03_zps99f5f693.png

rails_wire_01_zps889b3521.png

rails_nowire_01_zpse2f1c0d7.png

windows_wire_03_zpsc0c69fcf.png

windows_nowire_03_zpsef222526.png

Update #4:

udk_wip_02_zpsfc20ffc3.png

FINAL

Ehresmann_John_Week4_zps24380829.jpg

Replies

• Polygoblin
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Those chair legs are a bit thin compared to reference. My fellow Americans would present a problem sitting on these. It would also be nice to have a few broken/missing chairs to sell the abandoned theme. The cracked pavement photo ref you have set aside for your floor looks to be leading you away from what I'd think a stripped auditorium floor would look like. Everything else looks good, just stick to that reference!
  • John Ehresmann
    Offline / Send Message
    An update on how things are progressing.

greybox5_nonwired_zps44b8ea4f.png

greybox5_wired_zpscfd7ea7f.png

windows_wire_zps0d149a5b.png

windows_nowire_zps921c0ec2.png
  • John Ehresmann
    Offline / Send Message
    I can definitely make that adjustment, thanks for the suggestion Polygoblin.
  • John Ehresmann
    Offline / Send Message
    One last update for the night.

As of now, I've gone in and started to figure out how I want to flesh this out some more, because to just copy the source image isn't enough, need to find some ways to breath some life into it. Decided to add another section of seating up at the top, before it was just a blank space and didn't really know what to do with it, decided ultimately that it'd be nice to have a theater seating section.

Figuring out where to place exits for the guests, and starting to plot out other stuff that I could bring in to help flesh out the scene, stuff like exit signs and the like.

Since I'm planning on trying to go for that next gen look, I'm probably going to try and model as much of the detail into the meshes as I can, where I'd normally use a Normal map to bake the detail, stuff like the ridges in a rollup door, or since I've gotten the go ahead from my professor, maybe experiment with Tesselation to save on the polycount for that kind of stuff.

The variation that Polygoblin suggested, I'm going to ultimately create a few variations of the seating to alternate when I'm placing around the level, using one of the individual chairs as the source for all of them, and going from there.

greybox_5_1_nonwired_zpscecaac28.png

greybox_5_1_wired_zpsff90f765.png

greybox_5_2_nonwired_zpsb871aa86.png

greybox_5_2_wired_zpsc80fab57.png
  • villacis23
    loving it keep it up!!>
  • Cibo
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    Windows looking to small and to high and the second floor a little small.
  • John Ehresmann
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on some changes I've made throughout the day/progress I've made. Getting ready to start bringing assets over into UDK/starting to UV assets as well. Still a ways to go, but large chunk of the modeling is just about over in terms of the broad strokes, but after meeting with my professor tonight I've seen a lot of small details that I want to make sure to include, as soon as I've gotten all of the major assets in place.

Cibo, thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely keep doing some playing around with placing and size as I start to bring this all into UDK. Thanks for the input, it's greatly appreciated.

chairs_nowire_03_zps7538cffd.png

Chairs_wired_03_zps99f5f693.png

rails_wire_01_zps889b3521.png

rails_nowire_01_zpse2f1c0d7.png

windows_wire_03_zpsc0c69fcf.png

windows_nowire_03_zpsef222526.png
  • Yuke
    Offline / Send Message
    Yuke polycounter lvl 5
    Good work so far, nice to see you're starting to add a bit of variation to the scene alongside your modular assets. Some seats missing as well as the backs being at different angles/broken is definitely a good idea that I'd continue to push and add throughout the scene.

A couple of other things that I've noticed are that the windows on the side walls seem to be a lot smaller than in your reference and also look a bit higher up. In the reference they seem roughly centred on the lower section of the wall with the rectangular windows tiling above. I'd also make your windows wider, looking at the windows on the left of the image they seem less square, the perspective is distorting the look of the windows on the right.

Another piece I noticed are the support beams on the ceilings, in the reference they are higher in the centre and slope down as they reach the side of the room, making them more triangular than rectangular. I'd look at doing the same with yours to add some interest.

Keep it up!
  • John Ehresmann
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Yuke,

Thanks for the feedback, I'm definitely going to take that into consideration as I start to piece this all together inside of UDK. I definitely think you and Cibo make a good point with the windows, and I'm going to explore the scale of it.

As for variation, yea Variation is something I know is key when trying to sell realism, nothing in life is ever perfect, otherwise it just looks mechanical, so I'm trying to bring in some variation (i.e. going to have probably 4 different sets of chairs to place around the shot.)

Another thing i'm going to be doing, after my meeting with the professor, is actually put the theater on a slope as it heads further back towards the wall to add a little more interest in the floor, as opposed to having it be just a flat surface.

Yea, those beams ATM are more or less place holders, going to be heading in today and refining those, the rails, the posts a little bit more, and the exit doors, so aiming to have that update up tonight, and possibly the first UDK pass as well. Deadline for the assets is Tuesday, but aiming to have it done much sooner because I know that the biggest thing that's going to need to be focused on, to really sell the scene, is probably going to be the textures. Having solid models is a good start, but to really make this shine it's going to be on my lighting and my texturing probably.
  • John Ehresmann
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, after checking the reference again I see exactly what you mean, it almost look like it's starting to Bow or something, it has a certain weight to it that mines lacking (the beams)
  • John Ehresmann
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: Aiming to have some more shots tomorrow. Just building some smaller chunks in Maya to kind of use as puzzle pieces to fit certain gaps a bit better.

Hope everyone's having a good weekend!

~John
  • John Ehresmann
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a quick messy lighting shot of everything inside of UDK as of this moment, still work to do but it's starting to come together.

udk_wip_02_zpsfc20ffc3.png
  • John Ehresmann
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update:

Aiming to have textures 80% done by tomorrow night, with my meeting with my professor, been busy with work so all I've really been messing around with is the lighting, though I've started to work on getting the concrete floor texture rolling. Needs a lot of refining, but wanted to see how it was looking so far with the scene.

UDK_WIP_06_zps5deb5e6b.png

As always, looking forward to feedback and hope everyone's having a great week so far.

~John
  • John Ehresmann
    Offline / Send Message
    Some textures I've been working on, should have whole level shots up tonight, with more textures but I went back to square one for textures because it really wasn't looking how I wanted.

ConcreteFloor_Presentation_zpsb264f1ee.jpg

RollupDoor_Presentation_zpscd7266c5.jpg

White_BrickWall_Presentation_zps96885ddb.jpg

~John
  • John Ehresmann
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty happy with how the shots starting to come together, still more stuff to texture, and eventually some enhancement props to be modeled but as a whole I'm feeling pretty good about this one as of now.

UDK_WIP_15_zpsb2173474.png

screen05_zpsae7534c8.png
  • John Ehresmann
    Offline / Send Message
    What I'll be turning in for the second week of class. Loving the freedom that NDo2 and DDo have given me for getting work done on the fly, while facing these deadlines.

GPD_1401_Ehresmann_John_Week2_Presentation_zps5bc090f0.jpg

Still have a lot more to do in terms of nailing down lighting, tweaking some problematic stuff, adding in some other assets, but with 2 weeks still to work on this, I'm feeling pretty good. Hope everyone likes what I've got going on.
  • John Ehresmann
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the final shot for the class. Not thrilled with it, feel like there was a lot I left on the table to be done, and it bugs me, just have to move onto the next piece and learn from my mistakes.

Ehresmann_John_Week4_zps24380829.jpg
  • skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Hey John, sounds like you learned a lot from this environment. And that's awesome. If I had one suggestion for your future environments it would be to start your lighting early and really give it a lot of attention. Good lighting can make an average environment look interesting and bad lighting can make a great environment look mediocre. And it can also greatly influence your texturing. And don't be afraid to really push the colors in your lights. Your key light looks like it's pretty close to white with a hint of yellow. If you look at your first reference image it has some really strong yellow/orange lighting and pretty amazing lighting overall. Try a strong yellow/orange key light, with some soft blue fills and backlights. That will give you some nice variation with some subtle greens in the transitions. Similar to that reference image. Experiment with colors and placement.

Lighting is an amazing tool and one of the strongest for environment art. I highly recommend this book here: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Color-Light-Guide-Realist-Painter/dp/0740797719/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391445461&sr=8-1&keywords=james+gurney+color+and+light"]Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter: James Gurney: 9780740797712: Amazon.com: Books[/ame] It is AMAZING and will really help with lighting.
  • John Ehresmann
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Skyle,

Yea if I had to say there was one thing I felt really REALLY needed work it was the lighting, it got better as it went along, but it started to become pretty clear I need to work on it some more as I got closer to a finished product. Thanks for the tip on the book, about to look it over now and see if I can't pick it up. I'm starting up on my next environments pre-pro as I type this, trying to figure out what kind of shot to go for this month.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Regards,

~John Ehresmann