Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Making a tree

dralex789
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
dralex789 polycounter lvl 7
Making a nice high rez tree over the next few days. Figured I would post some of my work so far. Going for a high fidelity texture that holds up close, and uses tessellation and normal maps beneficially together rather than separately.

First few days was some visual tests and making the base texture. Going to start work on the actual mesh for the tree, and move to the leaves and twigs pretty soon. Going off of a black cherry tree for most of my reference

HMW8hEL.jpg

i8SsbTW.jpg

Replies

• refriedspinach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    refriedspinach polycounter lvl 3
    that bark is looking fantastic! cant wait to see some more
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    This is incredible! Is normal map baked from photo ? Subbed, cant waint to see moar!
  • dralex789
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is incredible! Is normal map baked from photo ? Subbed, cant waint to see moar!

Thanks a ton! Yeah it is, kinda. I did a good deal of Nd02 experimenting with a flat image to see what worked and what didn't. I ended up using a slightly adjusted image (black and white high frequency looking heightmap thing) plus the original image and various passes to get the final result. Something I did specifically take into account was the heightmap for the tessellation. I wanted the normal to compliment it rather than try to achieve the same goal, so I ignored certain shapes when making the normal map.
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    I thought it was your reference picture :D Very nice ! The moss works incredibly well!
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I really like the treatment of such a simple image. Even the bokeh looks nice. Is it realtime?
  • dralex789
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »
    I really like the treatment of such a simple image. Even the bokeh looks nice. Is it realtime?

Yup! This is just taken in the original marmoset. I pulled in their forest cover sky and then tweaked the DoF settings slightly to get what you see there. Also thanks cougar!
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    That's really impressive man :o
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow I thought it was a photo at first..impressive.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Have you tried Knald? It is excellent at this sort of stuff and you get AO, cavity, normal, height etc all at once. Pretty damn awesome. Definitely worth checking out and you might find you get better results than from ndo2; it will definitely save you some time.
  • dralex789
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek wrote: »
    Have you tried Knald? It is excellent at this sort of stuff and you get AO, cavity, normal, height etc all at once. Pretty damn awesome. Definitely worth checking out and you might find you get better results than from ndo2; it will definitely save you some time.

Hey man, thanks for the tip. I've been wanting to check out knald for some time ( I was actually going to use it on this till I got such a solid result with the heightmap I already had). Definitely a thing to try for next time though!
  • dralex789
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit of an update, copied from my blog [url]www.digitaldracott.blogspot.com:[/url]

akBrRte.jpg

This weekend I spent my time trying to settle on the right approach to making the trunk. My options in my head, and conclusions were this (keep in mind this is for a base mesh, not something to bake a normal from):

Speedtree -> don't own, cant export from demo version, UDK only viable for now, that one is out

Hand model -> viable, but slow, unwrapped can suck

Zbrush -> doable, but fine branch work gets tricky and slow

Paint effects -> control is limited, but has good UV options

I spent my weekend trying out each option and decided to get a test mesh in from both zbrush, and from paint effects. The zbrush one turned out alright, but was not worth it's time at all for the final shape (something I could have hand modeled in no time flat).

Something of interest to note was that decimating a sculpt to put my texture on, did let me fiddle around with what differences geo levels made. I tried 2 meshes, one at 1k tris and another at 4k and noticed that because I was rendering with tessellation, the levels made no difference. For my paint effects attempt, I kept things super low (especially on the smaller branches) to see what kind results super low poly work would bring in.

Again, it was all tests. For the most part I wanted to learn about different workflows and experiment with finding something that worked. My final call will be to use paint effects. Honestly the main reason for this is converting paint effects to polygons in maya makes for a UV perfect tree (a HUGE time saver). Looking at what I had at the end, there were some things to take note of:

-4 divisions is just too small for medium branches
    -My texture is effective at certain scales for covering up mesh intersection (a big worry of mine)
    -Variety in model silhouette can hide lots of repeating texture-ness (a real world I swear)
    -Tessellation breaks down a bit with a global scale on tiny branches. I may make a non tessellated material for those branches.
    -UV scale can change a bit between branch sizes but the small branch sizes need a smaller UV scale in general to get rid of some of that ugly noise.

Anyway tomorrow night Ill make my final base mesh pretty quickly (probably keeping it as a paint effect so I can add leaves through that method later) and move forward from there (I'm thinking twigs and leaves coming soon).
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy fuck, this looks amazing. Is some sort of shader magic involved?
  • gunawanzx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good job .. this is how the amount of poly
  • dralex789
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uncle wrote: »
    Holy fuck, this looks amazing. Is some sort of shader magic involved?

Not this time. All done in marmoset. Could consider tessellation magic perhaps though :p
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    This is looking AMAZING so far, keep it up!
  • dralex789
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, pretty much wrapped it up. Ended up making my own twig and leaf textures and used that to make the rest of the shot up (this entire thing was built around closeups). I did figure out that overall, it makes sense to choose a route to create for in terms of view range when to foliage. What makes a great show in terms of cover and detail, doesn't always make a great distance read, etc. After some experimenting, I decided that overall, I wanted something that help up close up which resulted in some creative liberties as to where certain densities fell (in terms of leaf placement, etc).

Anyway, its not perfect but I am pleased to get it as far as I did. Was a great study, but its time to move on to something completely different. I may make some separate renders with marmoset 2, since I am still using 1 and rand into certain shadow darkness colors when using a spotlight. Ill get some pics up later today of my textures and leaf cards.

uByCKEn.jpg
    OvZshz3.jpg
    A5osI2r.jpg
  • odd_enough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odd_enough polycounter lvl 9
  • AbKI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AbKI polycounter lvl 6
    That is gorgeous work. :)
  • genwu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu polycounter lvl 7
    Freakin beautiful. I'd love to see your wires on both the tree and leaves though. Awesome work!
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    :O Why this is sooo goood. Great work!
  • Heather_Bea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heather_Bea polycounter lvl 5
    Amazing! I would love to see the wire frame to get an idea of how it was made :-)
  • genwu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu polycounter lvl 7
    Ha..In my sad attempts to try to keep such high quality on some tree bark - this was all I could come up with. I'll definitely be going back to doing more studies to try to someday get to Alex's level. But - for now, this is all I got :( So depressing seeing such high quality work all the time and trying to match it :poly134:

02_MillerJayson_Bark_v004.jpg
  • dralex789
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu wrote: »
    Ha..In my sad attempts to try to keep such high quality on some tree bark - this was all I could come up with. I'll definitely be going back to doing more studies to try to someday get to Alex's level. But - for now, this is all I got :( So depressing seeing such high quality work all the time and trying to match it :poly134:

Hey man those are pretty cool! Are you working from texture source or are you baking them down?

Alex
  • ikarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ikarus polycounter lvl 10
    very nice genwu
  • genwu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu polycounter lvl 7
    @dralex, all texture source! ndo2 and the knald demo for my height map (and just tinkering in general). I definitely want to explore this more though until I hit your original quality! xD

@ikarus, Thanks man! :D
  • dralex789
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy delay batman.

Sorry for the slow response to this thread. I ended up taking a few weeks of for the holidays then got slammed right as I got back. Below are the pictures for those curious. Tri count for the entire tree came to around 30k.

Was a great project to learn a ton about pipeline. Here are some conclusions I came too for those curious:

-Good bark can cover up for a lot of problems with the mesh/UV seams of the actual tree
    -While smaller leaf cards are nice, it is more efficient to make bigger cards with more leaves that you can later split into smaller ones. You could include a twig card in this.
    -While some programs like speedtree can be very helpful with prototyping, hand placing /modeling gives unrivaled control. In my experiences here I would say hand placing will be what I do in the future to save myself time
    -Testing can save tons of time, but also create lots of time. I saved myself hours with some quick R&D with the textures (testing normal maps before making stuff tile) but I created hours off work learning various tree pipelines when I have just stuck with common sense techniques in some areas.
    -There are some definitive restrictions to rendering leaves within the original marmoset. The biggest I found was that there was no shadow color or intensity control. As a result when the transparency of the leaves caught the shadow, I would get super dark areas of my renders. Specifically where AO was also in effect. Unfortunately turning off either resulted in sub par renders.

For next time:
    Bigger cards, more color variation in the tree
    Lower tri count, better results
    Not picking a black cherry tree, as their branches are just too weird (they fall in between different things/styles our brains are used to seeing

Also here are my reference shots for those curious!

As always feel free to PM with questions, etc. Also around on twitter (Dralex789)

yiQfxaS.jpg

NETtwZu.jpg

q5R5kI0.jpg
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Cool mini tut, well done!