Home General Discussion

Using Concept Art for Model Reference

Pyxis
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pyxis polycounter lvl 5
Hi all, I'm a games student who will be graduating and building a professional portfolio soon, and I have a couple of questions about the etiquette of using other peoples' concept art as reference to build your model(s).

1. If you contact the artist for permission and don't get a reply, should you steer clear of using that image? Or just proceed with the project and make sure they're credited?

On that note, is it always necessary to ask permission?

2. Is it bad form to model a character or scene from an existing game/other media and put it in your portfolio?

3. When you're modelling from a concept, can you make changes to it? ie. remove a prop, change a shirt colour etc.

I keep getting differing answers to these questions from my profs and grads from my program so I wanted to clarify.

Replies

• MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    1. I would steer clear of using an image you're not given permission to use.

2. Hazardous' portfolio seems to be comprised largely of existing characters and he seems to be doing quite well for himself. One of the more interesting reoccurring themes throughout this forum is people making finished pieces out of unused concept art.

3. This is something you should use your own judgement. Go with what you think works best just try not to diverge from the concept too much.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    2. Is it bad form to model a character or scene from an existing game/other media and put it in your portfolio?
    Hazardous has Chun Li in his portfolio and Capcom doesn't seem to care. Just don't attempt to sell it or claim credit for originality.

Though any reason why you can't make concept art yourself? Personally, I rather the stuff that goes in my portfolio is original with only some pieces being fanart (and are really good ones at that).

The only exception is if I'm applying to a studio, I would want to send them art that mimics what their artstyle is like.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    1. Technically and legally you don't really need to ask for permission, since you are making a transformative work, but it's normally considered the polite thing to do. There's plenty of concepts to use. I'd still be very careful when using concepts for movies/games, although you are pretty safe when using any concept non-commercially, the worst you should get is a take down notice.

2. If you model a known character/scene, just make sure you label it as fan art. I would limit the ammount of fan art you have in your portfolio though.

3. Yes, you can do whatever you want to it, but it will look better to a studio if you can follow a concept.
  • Pyxis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pyxis polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for the replies, guys. Hazardous is one of my absolute favourites ever, I forgot he had Chun Li on his site! That's encouraging then, I'd love to do some updated models of PS2-era characters someday...

MattQ86, finished pieces out of unused concept art? You mean like what they're doing in the noob threads?

JordanN, I'm with you on preferring original portfolio content, but I'm strapped for time at the moment. I don't want to tear my hair out designing a character and then rushing the model when I could ace the project with someone else's design.

ZacD that's interesting, I've always had it drilled into me that we have to stick to the concept to the very last detail, I'm pleased to hear that's not entirely the case.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    For all these cases give proper credit to the original copyright owner, and possibly a link.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yes, remember that the industry is small. You might end up applying at a studio where the artist who made the concept you used as reference works.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11