Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Feedback Request, Doran

Hello Polycount,

I just wanted to create this thread in hopes that I could get some portfolio feedback. I have been doing 3d art for a little over 4 years now and I can admit that my time in college I didn't work as hard as I should have. Although I believed I was a hard worker (bahahaha). I have worked with some true professionals who humbled me in that department. Over the last year or so I have been working very hard however and have had a couple of jobs (currently working with an indie team). I have worn many different hats during my time being employed but my main focus is going to be creating art in Zbrush / Maya and gaining better fundamental skills (pencil + photoshop).

Any feedback I could get on the art or the website would be great. I am using the paid version of carbonmade that I tried to make look as pretty / functional as possible and bought a domain name through google in the hopes of looking more professional and having my own email :p.

The site is: www.doran3d.com

Cheers

Replies

• Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    I think your website is pretty easy to navigate. It's basic in design but there is a lot to be said about letting the art speak for you.
    One thing I have a problem with is making sure all my pieces are my strong ones. I've heard that some people judge by the weakest link. Just food for thought. This reminds me that I need to work on mine. :D
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    It's all about showcasing your BEST work, and you are showcasing EVERYTHING. In fact, I was quite surprised by the quality of some of the work buried in this site.

I would retool this to a single portfolio page focusing on 3d Game Models page. This seems to have the best complete content.

The zbrush stuff is all wip sketches, not portfolio material.

3d chars, there's only one, it's not great but not bad and could fit in the game models page nicely.

rigging vid, nothing wrong with displaying this skill, just made sure it's NOT before your best content.

I'd remove 2d and ads, not really up to snuff.

I'd also integrate the Game Garage into the single page.

With that, organized the more realistic stuff and the stylized on a single page.

Here's what I'd go with: Bison MRT, Compound Bow, Coyote, Camera, low poly ship, lp buildings, and select Game Garage assets. This would give a nice tight portfolio showcassing both skills without redundant pieces taking up space.

And as always, no About page, Resume/CV
  • Prism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i first clicked on zbrush, because of a personal curiosity. Then i checked out the other ones, and lastly the 3d models. Which the quantity suprised and impressed me. So i suggest focusing more attention on it, make that your main selling point. Increase the size 2x so it takes up the top row, with the rest below that as they are now. i dont know if that is possible though with the website. Or collect the other work as ''other work''. Also think about the order in which the 3d models come up at the list, i would say your camera, bow and vehicles are most impressive. But thats also personal preference.
  • Doran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @cholden @prism @dimfist

I really do appreciate the feedback greatly, one of my biggest problems is "letting go" of stuff I made a long time ago that I was really proud of at the time. I elimated a lot of the work on the site and made it focus mostly on the 3d models aspect. I need to figure out how to do some code editing and once thats done I will post my pdf resume in instead of the about page (should be done tonight / tomorrow).

I'll also look into making some larger images. Sadly the army didn't allow me to take models home with me so i can't get better renders of the vehicles but I think I can get some better images of the camera and the bow.

Main object though, as is everyones, is to make some better art and phase out all of this stuff : ).

Edit - I knew my 2d wasn't up to snuff, but I live in one of those places where there are a lot of small studios and they want you to do everything.