Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Art Nouveau Style Resturant [Large Images]

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Fang polycounter lvl 7
Hey. I'm making this interior project and want all of yar feedback. I'm being pretty concise so sorry about that, I am tired but want to put this up before I change my mind! So there.

There is alot of room for improvement so anything at all is well appreciated. Thanks.

Disclaimer: A floor texture visible in one of the screenshots is not mine, it is default Amnesia. It will be replaced. Painting on wall is a manipulated piece by Alphonse Mucha. (His stuff is public domain, as far as I can tell)
Breif:
Interior environment styled as an art nouveau restaurant + assembled and presented in Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
Mini Overview:
  • Tile-sets for level architecture
  • Props
  • Lighting
  • A touch of VFX & Sound
  • aka a game environment.
Screenshots:
cafe_4.pngcafe_3.pngcafe_2.pngcafe_1.png

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    This looks so sultry.

/swoon
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    hey there,

a promising scene you have there from what I can see.
    To keep my feedback short for the moment I only want to say that the lighting is the main issue in your scene. Everything is too dark to see details or material effects.
    So first I suggest block in a proper lighting. I suggest you browse for some fotos of restaurants or search for references in movies how those places are lit.

The main question you should ask yourself: What should a visitor / the viewer feel when entering / seeing this place? At the moment it is very spooky. Just add a light spot from a flashlight and a few hrash shadows and this will be a perfect setting for game like silenthill something.
    The room can communicate many emotions via its lighting.
    You could go for a warm and friendly look like maybe this (a place were people would like to spend their time and eat):
    oakroom_restaurant.jpg

You could go for conspriracy-vibe, like in smooth criminal:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWu_htIxYtM"]Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal (Official Video) - YouTube[/ame]

watch?v=eWu_htIxYtM
  • Fang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fang polycounter lvl 7
    @JadeEyePanda, Thanks! /mucho appreciation

@Slave_zero, Thanks, I'm very pleased that the second reply to this thread produced Smooth Criminal.
    - Alright, you bring a solid point about the lighting. I want to maintain some of the spookiness. Maybe I could have parts of the resturant be a warmer and more lit areas..create a bit of variation?

I will get to the above, but today I finally got started on the piano texture after uvs and baking. So here's a wippy.

piano_1_1076_2446_1-15-2014.PNG
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Absolutely love it. I thought of Amnesia/Horror games in general when seeing the pic, didn't even notice it was in the engine too!

I think the mood is really good, but like Slave_zero said, I think some areas could be lightened up just a bit. If this is supposed to be a game environment, maybe make point a + point b in the level design be a bit lighter than the rest. Points of interest, essentially, rather than everything being the same scheme.
  • Fang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fang polycounter lvl 7
    @Higuy, thanks a bunch

I have been playing with the stuff you guys have said. And been messing with some of the materials aswell. I dropped a bunch of flowerpots in a messy manner, just trying out things.

I want plants on a few different levels, some up near the ceiling, some hanging down etc.

Anyway here how it looks atm.
    lighting3.png

lighting2.png
    lighting1.png
  • Sebvhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    I know the screen I'm using right now is poorly calibrated but your screenshots look really dark to me.

Apart from that it looks awesome.
    I wish I knew some restaurants looking that way :)
  • Docm30
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Docm30 polycounter lvl 10
    I like the lighting in the third screenshot in your latest post, but the first two are too dark. It doesn't really make a lot of sense for some lights to be turned off; usually if the place is open all the lights are on.
  • Fang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fang polycounter lvl 7
    @Sebvhe & Docm30, I will have to be careful for sure. I have to mention the fact that this is midnight, after closing time. Thanks a bunch none the less guys!

I've touched a few things like the flower pot. Changed some colors on the walls. More to come. The walls still need atleast another pass - all over - the pillars and textures etc. Maybe make a shade for the wall lightbulbs? I'm not feeling it at the moment. Add carpet probably.

flowerpots.png
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I think that piano could use a higher specular power or just a specularity map. The highlights are way blown-out.
  • Sebvhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    And after closing time you forgot to turn off the light ? I'm not sure Mother Nature will be very happy :poly124:
    Anyway the lighting is way better !
    Is there some water flowing from the ceiling to the ground ? If so, it looks a little bit weird in such a luxurious place. Plus it doesn't seem to fall verticaly
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    If you could possibly free up some time, here's how to give the piece an -enormous- punch. Add in the clean up crew. Even if it's just one silhouette in the shadows, though I'd say one or two (identically clad, different haircolor) proper models would be better.

Add in a few simple props like the last plates from the final guests. A mop bucket, a regular bucket and a table wipe. A glass of wine left by the pianist. Turn off the lights in half the restaurant; that part's already been cleaned.

And there you go, quite quickly, from a sterile videogame level, to a calm scene from a movie. There's a story, a small, intimate one, but a story nonetheless.

Heck if you're really short on time, have just one almost-finished meal on one table with a bit more light. The keyholder's about to go home, but it was a busy night and he hasn't had any time to eat while customers were around. Employees have already left, and he's about to. He's tired and it's late, but they did make a good profit. Every coin has its flipside.
  • Fang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fang polycounter lvl 7
    Snader wrote: »
    If you could possibly free up some time, here's how to give the piece an -enormous- punch. Add in the clean up crew. Even if it's just one silhouette in the shadows, though I'd say one or two (identically clad, different haircolor) proper models would be better.

Add in a few simple props like the last plates from the final guests. A mop bucket, a regular bucket and a table wipe. A glass of wine left by the pianist. Turn off the lights in half the restaurant; that part's already been cleaned.

And there you go, quite quickly, from a sterile videogame level, to a calm scene from a movie. There's a story, a small, intimate one, but a story nonetheless.

Heck if you're really short on time, have just one almost-finished meal on one table with a bit more light. The keyholder's about to go home, but it was a busy night and he hasn't had any time to eat while customers were around. Employees have already left, and he's about to. He's tired and it's late, but they did make a good profit. Every coin has its flipside.

Yep yes I want to do that, I will probably do something without character art in the short term - like a bag or a bucket and mop. Wine glass on piano and stuff like that for sure.

I've doubled back and worked on the groundwork a few days - alot of that is the walls. So I have gone and baked highpoly normals and ao whereas previously there were none.

*sorry shitty quality screenshot

skitch.jpg
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Need's more light cant see much.