Home Technical Talk

Convert to STP, IGS, X-T file formats?

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Obscura grand marshal polycounter
Hi! Currently I have a job, where the client said that he will need the models in STP or IGS or in X-T (?!) file format to be able to "print out" them as injection moulding tool. My question is, how could I convert the models to one of these file formats? I work with Max and Zbrush, but they don't have option to export in these formats.

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I forgot to mention that I can't ask the client, because he also have a client, and that guy will make the injection moulding tools, and I have contact only with the first guy that I mentioned. And he also don't know how could I export to these formats.
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    I'm afraid you won't be able to convert them. STP or IGS are file formats for CAD drawings, where a mesh is defined by mathematical functions, like NURBS, so completely opposite of polygonal models in Max and Zbrush.

You could ask if they could print out from .STL files, which are exportable from Max and they work great, and with a completed mesh in 3Ds Max you can do a STL Check Modifier, check for errors and you're ready to go (I printed a couple of objects from .STL files from Max, no issues).

The other alternative to deliver .STP or .IGS would be to recreate the model in a CAD program, like Solidworks or Rhino, with NURBS. Also, you could import your poly objects in Rhino for instance, and convert to NURBS (each face will be transformed in a NURBS patch) but I'm pretty sure you'll have loads of issues with open meshes and overlapping parts).
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Omm thats really sad to hear. Recreating them isn't an option because these are sculpted highpoly character models. So I still hope I can do this somehow :poly122:. I looked around on the internet and I have found a few answer that is saying its possible, but they didn't really explained how. I'll try to convert with rhino, but if somebody know an alternative solution, I'm all ears.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I searched more, and I found that FreeCAD can import obj, and can export both stp and igs so it looks like the problem is solved :)
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreeCAD didn't worked, but I succesfully converted my polygonal mesh to NURBS with Rhino, and exported it as STP!
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Oh cool, let us know if it printed ok!
  • yeasboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Dear please reply for my message which is send to you.

• whyareyoumakin1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whyareyoumakin1 polycounter lvl 7
    Hey Obscura, this is an old post but just curious, how did you convert your mesh to NURBS in Rhino, I was almost able to get the conversion working but not quite.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry but this was very long time ago and I can't remember :/