Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Living Room

EDIT: I received crit that I should add more detail, so I did that as well as other improvements. I'm almost ready to call this scene finished, but I would love to hear more crit. Thanks for looking.

UDK environment. Most recent progress:

9nb2.png

e5pj.png

Replies

• MethodJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MethodJ polycounter lvl 4
    Hi Sushi! I am getting a PS2 vibe because the textures seem a bit low-res, especially on the books. What platform are you aiming for? If you have tech restrictions for mobile, totally understandable!

But if you are just trying to create a portfolio piece, then overall, I'd like to see more texture detail everywhere: higher resolution diffuse, more obvious normal, and maybe some spec to differentiate surfaces. Right now the books stand out to me as needing cleaner and more defined textures.
  • sushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your feedback MethodJ, I'm aiming for a current generation platform and this is something I'll be putting in my portfolio.

The books are using 256x256 textures which I'll increase to 512x512 and I'll put some more detail into them. As for the rest of the assets, they use fairly high res textures but I am going to try to get more detail out of them like you mentioned.

Thanks!
  • sushi
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The shadows seem very odd - especially on the right side of the TV and above the curtains to the left.

The lighting overall doesn't make sense; the light should be primarily from the window, with secondary lighting from the ceiling lamp. At the moment, the brightest light seems to be under the coffee table.

Many of the textures - the books on the coffee table, the TV - seem washed out.
  • sushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks DWalker. I see what you mean about the lighting. I have a directional light placed outside the window - I'll try modifying the orientation of it to see if that helps.

Thanks again for your feedback :)