Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

dwall's first model ever, yes I'm a noob

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
dwall polycounter lvl 4
Hay guise!

Gosh I'm so nervous, first real post and all :poly115:
I made this back in April/May while applying for a school I really wanted to go to, but sadly I didn't get in this year so I'll have to try again next year.
Maybe it had something to do with there being over 500 applicants for 30 positions and I had zero (edit: almost no) experience before March 2013? :icon15:

I lost a bit of momentum over the summer and I've had a really hard time getting back to modeling (it just seems so intimidating!) but I think now is the time to act if I'm ever going to get anywhere! Two of my old high school buddies, both of whom have jobs in the industry and are by my standards damn good artists, encouraged me to post this here to kick start my modeling :)

So this dune buggy, being basically my first model ever, was the most complex model I could come up with that I thought I could manage to do in 6 weeks (deadline for application) with my limited skills (keep in mind I was working full time as well).
It's not modeled after any existing car, I just looked at a lot of pictures and videos of these cars and did the best interpretation I could. I tried to make the engine as realistic as possible but it was a bit overwhelming!

I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I still haven't learned to unwrap or texture so this is just rendered in marmoset with a few basic materials and lights. Any feedback or acknowledgment that you've taken a look is appreciated!

Enjoy!

YvHuaNW.jpg

tfF3jxL.jpg

mFiQ4E9.jpg

cvMoomi.jpg

ILHoek3.jpg

P5U91tk.jpg

Replies

• A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    Model wise, I think it looks great. Cool design, interesting parts like the chunky ass wheels and engine.

Modelling skill wise, it's hard for us to judge your modelling skills if you don't post wires along with your model too. From what I can see this is a high poly model so there might be things you are doing that are inefficient and there might be better ways to do things. So post some wires :)

If I was to give feedback from these images alone I would say I don't see anything that immediately stands out to be wrong. There's no pinching, no weird crazyness happening on any of the surfaces etc, and scale/proportion seems fine.

Also, try to get learning to unwrap, a good texture can really bring a model to life and make it shine ;)

Keep up the great work!
  • Jack Ryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have something to be proud of here if this is your first model.
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Hey dude I have to say that if this is your first that's really badass!

I would suggest moving on to learning uv'ing and texturing so you can push it even further. It looks great from these images and I'd like to see the wires so peeps can give you feedback on them. :)
    As for a few small critiques of what you have so far: I'd put more color variation on the parts, as it helps readability and creates more visual interest. As for the lighting and rendering, I think you should have like a good directional shadow cast across your model to help break up the forms and look more natural, and a ground plane or a stage or something for it to be grounded to and cast shadows on. This would really sell your model by making it feel more extant.

I hope this helps and I think this could turn out really great!
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
    Great model for a first model. Are you saying you never modeled anything before this at all?? If so, you should be proud as hell. My first models were nothing like this whatsoever. Post wires for sure so we can see what the topo looks like.
  • dwall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dwall polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for all your kind words guys! I'll post wires as soon as I can (and as soon as I figure out how to do it properly).

Maybe I should clarify, I have modeled a tiny bit before this. I made an attempt to model my cellphone in high school but one of the temps we had corrupted my file early on so I said "screw it" and didn't touch maya again for 4-5 years. Strangely enough I got an A in that class even though I didn't produce anything for the teacher to grade...we didn't have a good teacher, maybe that's why I never got into it back then.

Last year I did parts of a locomotive tutorial from "Introducing Maya 2012", but I didn't finish it.
    OH! I just remembered that I did a simple model of my flashlight (my actual flashlight, not my p***s) the day before I started on the buggy that I had totally forgotten about.

Basically depending on how you see it this could be my first "real" model that I did from scratch and more or less finished, or it's my...4th?

Sorry if I got myself more praise than I deserved!
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
    If your just using basic materials in Maya, make another material that is a composite material instead of standard. If that is something that is similar in Maya compared to 3ds Max. When you make the comp. mat., make the 2nd material as just a wireframe material by checking off that ticker in the app., and making it a color that will stand out over the original. This should just overlay a wireframe on top of the first one. Sorry I don't know Maya's way of doing this really.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Like I told you on facebook, great to see your stuff on PC!

I got to say that it look cooler then I remembered, though you had a render that wasn't really making the model any justice. Great work! :)

Regarding wireframes I'd say there is two equally easy ways. Click "show wireframe" in marmoset or turn on "wireframe on shaded" in the viewport options in Maya's viewport 2.0. It's under shading. In the viewport, not in the settings :) I'm saying viewport 2.0 cause it got some nice anti aliasing features you can use..

I remember UVing being the most daunting part of 3D modeling in the beginning but when you get the hang of the basics and the tools it's very straight forward.
  • dwall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dwall polycounter lvl 4
    Okay back again with some wires!
    Before you look I'd just like to state for the record that I'm aware that there's a ridiculous amount of unnecessary polygons, it's a wonder that there's any of them left for you guys to play with ;)
    There's about 1,870,000 polys...

EDIT: Sorry I'm afraid that I deleted too much of my history along the way so there's no un-smoothed version left :/

wUxH1Ae.png

PpC33Am.png

ikJelnz.png

Cuc14nM.png

7p6mFYT.png

ZfkIH12.png

rSA7COv.png

E6n2VBK.png

OwAHv1C.png

0Z8uyk5.png
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    this is pro work compared to my first vehicle model
    very well done, stick around!
  • dwall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dwall polycounter lvl 4
    this is pro work compared to my first vehicle model
    very well done, stick around!

Thanks a lot! Since I'm having troubles getting started again due to self-inflicted performance anxiety, words like yours are really motivating :D

I'm a bit conflicted as to where I should go next, I think I've decided but I'm not 100% sure.

From my "industry contacts" I've gotten the advice to continue with maya until I'm comfortable with the basics and then maybe start looking at learning zbrush at a later stage.
    This is probably what I'm going to do, but another really talented guy I spoke to at a gaming expo told me: "What? you haven't started on zbrush yet? No, you don't need to start with maya first".

I'm confused...
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    dwall wrote: »
    Thanks a lot! Since I'm having troubles getting started again due to self inflicted performance anxiety words like yours are really motivating :D

I'm a bit conflicted as to where I should go next, I think I've decided but I'm not 100% sure.

From my "industry contacts" I've gotten the advice to continue with maya until I'm comfortable with the basics and then maybe start looking at learning zbrush at a later stage.
    This is probably what I'm going to do, but another really talented guy I spoke to at a gaming expo told me: "What? you haven't started on zbrush yet? No, you don't need to start with maya first".

I'm confused...
    my advanced lighting and texturing instructor is just learning zbrush so don't feel bad about it
    I know very little about zbrush myself
  • dwall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dwall polycounter lvl 4
    my advanced lighting and texturing instructor is just learning zbrush so don't feel bad about it
    I know very little about zbrush myself

Yup, I'm going to get started on understanding unwrapping and texturing.
    I got the advice to model a box or a barrel, and I can see that this is good advice but a barrel just seems so ordinary after I spent all that time on tiny little details of the buggy ;)

One box of barrels coming up!
  • Jack Ryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it possible to see isoline wires? It's quite difficult to tell your construction when you show wires from the smoothed version (or whatever the equivalent is in Maya).
  • dwall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dwall polycounter lvl 4
    Sorry about that, I goofed up the workflow somewhere along the way and deleted too much of my history and didn't realize until hours later. I still have all my old revisions somewhere though, I'll take a look and see if it's possible to compile a low(er)poly version from bits of the different saves.
  • dwall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dwall polycounter lvl 4
    Back again with some progress!

I'm still battling with my inner demons from time to time but it seems like I've overcome them for now and I've got some work done. Hopefully it'll be smooth sailing from now on :)
    I made a first attempt at sculpting a prop in zbrush!

Jeff Parrott's WORKFLOW SERIES: THE TREASURE CHEST from 3dmotive have been a HUGE help. I can't believe how easy he makes it look compared to how hard I thought it was. Sure it's a pretty basic sculpt from what I understand but still, I had imagined it to be hard as f**k!
    Fozwroth and sltrolsson gave me some tips as well, thanks guys :D

I made the basemesh in maya and sculpted it in zbrush.
    My head spun quite a few turns as I was trying to prepare the mesh for obj export as all three, Jeff in the tutorial, sltrolsson and Fozwroth, gave differing opinions as of how I should do it properly.
    One of them said I should use crease edges, another said that crease edges were crap and that I should create even tesselation on my basemesh and not use control edges, and the third said I should use control edges and that tesselation didn't really matter that much.

I ended up spending way too much time on what I know understand may be excessively even tesselation, but it worked out fine in the end :)
    As of now it's only a highpoly sculpt but I'll update when I'm further along as I plan to follow the tutorial with retopo, baking and texturing :)

zIPZaZk.png
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Be careful with the detail you are sculpting into the cannon barrel because it is starting to look like concrete. I am not sure what you are looking at for reference, but metal tends to chip and scratch which are fairly subtle compared to what you sculpted in there. The wood looks really nice though, good job with that.
  • dwall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dwall polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for the feedback!

Oh! Of course, I'll keep that in mind :)
    I didn't really have a reference, I just thought of how old cast iron pans and cast church bells look and freestyled it from memory. I did the same with the wood.
    The look I was going for was old and rusty with battle scars, like maybe a cannon ball hit it or a sword or pistol struck off a tiny chip that grew as the salt water made it rust.

I think I saw this image sometime and thought of it unconsciously while I sculpted:

Liberty_Bell_2008.jpg
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Cannons and bells are not made of the same metal, nor are they the same thickness. Also not all metal that cannons are made of actually rust, so be careful with that as well. Try to find some reference of cannons and sculpt from that so you get more believable results.
  • dwall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dwall polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks again, I'll do that!
  • dwall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dwall polycounter lvl 4
    Small update :)

I've been busy with work but I at least found the time to learn the basics of normal map baking and retopo - I'm pretty satisfied so far :)

Retopo in Maya, baked in xNormal with external cage file made in Maya.
    I have no idea how to make pretty renderings in Marmoset yet so bare with the fugly render.

ApEdhbO.png