Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sword Singer: Wage war like water [Blizzard Char. Student Art Contest 2014]

high dynamic range
Offline / Send Message
Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
Hey Polycount:

So, I've made a decision, I'm going with this theme:

Shaia Podders, Sword Singer: Unlike many warriors of the Horde or Alliance, Sword Singers concentrate more on form and technique as opposed to the size of their sword or brute strength. Some remark they flow like water when they fight. And those brave enough to challenge these wandering Sword Singers usually find themselves outmatched after their first strike.

Inspiration/Reference: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRDG6np1GlA"]Syrio Forel, the First Sword of Braavos [Game of Thrones][/ame]

Planned Pipeline
Thumbnails > Concept > ZBrush rough sculpt > Final sculpt > Retopo > UV > Bake > Texture

Definitely humbly requesting that people hit me with feedback and critiques. This one's going to be a rough ride.

Current WIP:
Sword Singer WIP 09

Texturing! Any critiques?

f7otoTa.jpg

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thumbnails. Originally did several Alchemy thumbnail sessions, and now refining them down through both additional Alchemy and Photoshop work.

Any one of these stand out as a good, effective silhouette?

FRE6jPQ.jpg

MWks8xp.jpg
  • Lokter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lokter polycounter lvl 6
    I like numbers 10, 11, 24, 33.

Anything without the big capes and flowing cloth bits. While it might look cool, I just get the feeling that a proficient swordsman wouldn't want capes and stuff getting in the way. I like the idea of a very tight fitting leather, showing of a very athletic form. So it looks graceful and deadly rather than having capes and chains and ornaments everywhere.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    I agree with Lokter. For me almost all those silhouettes look good, but if you think about the role, fighting style, background of the character, most of them simply don't fit.

Also, I don't know the rules of the contest, but if it's Blizzard I guess it's lowpoly, so all those little details you put on some silhouettes are useless and won't be in the 3D model, they are just disturbing.

Do you already have an idea/ref of what you want to do ?
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I like 18 and 30 the most :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Texelion: No reference of explicit nature. Hoping this part of the concept phase helps me nail something down.
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    Personally I'd say 14's the best, the rest to me feel just too spindly or unbalanced, I'm also struggling to grasp exactly what it's meant to be? I'm aware these are just thumbnails but the fact that they all share the same head and rough proportions suggests that you must kind of know in your head what it is no?

For me it's kind of a mouse warrior..? If so, I'd strongly suggest looking at some of the redwall book covers, excellent covers in and of themselves, but pretty relevent if that's what you're going for.

Couple of examples:
    LORD-BROCKTREE.jpg

The_Long_Patrol.jpg

50997.jpg

It would appear (unfortunately) that finding decently sized images of these covers is nigh on impossible, as is finding any images of some of the covers I remember gawking at in the library as a kid, which were unfortunately some of the better ones, and as I remember them more relevant to you than the ones above :(

But if you are going for one of those 'animal warrior' things, I always thought that redwall did it best. And as luck would have it seems that this person does some pretty decent fan art for the series, chichapies.

redwall_races___mouse_2_0_by_chichapie-d3dhwaq.jpg

Anyway, hopefully something there helped.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @mazz423: I was thinking deer when I originally pulled the first base thumbnail, but very much I think I'm going down the Redwall path. Something a little more reserved than the current WoW standards for character silhouettes. But I'm not working with a lot of polys, so /shrug.

I'm going to take a dive through this guy's deviant art page.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more refinement of the focused down thumbnails, mostly from 14 as per mazz423's suggestion.

Any one of these looking the best?

940vqg5.jpg
  • daemoria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a fan of the forms in 1 and 5. But 9 looks like it could be a good costume if you decide to make this beastie more feminine. You never specified a gender in a post yet, do you know what you're going to go with?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • WadeWT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WadeWT polycounter lvl 6
    I like 6, although I prefer the shoulders and scarf in 7. I like the sort of regal look they have. Reminds me a bit of some of the character designs from this comic: http://www.rice-boy.com/vattu/index.php?c=102
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP 03

Greyscale rendering of the final concept in progress.

Taking a LOT of confidence and inspiration from The Witcher with their reference to medeival western europe armory and garb.

Thoughts?

tumblr_mzhj9rWeT31s4i600o1_1280.jpg
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    Don't take this the wrong way, but I can't help but think that it feels a bit too grounded. It feels devoid of "freak."

If you look at the body types of WoW characters, they each more or less have some form of cartoonish exaggeration. I kinda think that the cart is being put before the horse in this scenario.

You're trying to introduce a new race to the WarCraft lore. What does the level 1 version of this thing look like? Scratch that, what do these things look like in their skivvies?

My advice: First, silhouette studies of "naked" WoW characters - 1 male, 1 female from each race. Figure out where they're being exaggerated and why. Next, use this information to inform where and how you will exaggerate these things.

Then, ask yourself more about the culture of these things. How and why is it that they have come into a reputation of "flowing like water?" Who formed the tenets of their society? What are the tenets of that society? What virtue do they hold above all others? What is their greatest vice? What is their preferred weapon? What professions/classes do they exalt and/or abhor?

Find the answers to these questions, and THEN ask yourself how their armor would look.

But, that's just what I think.

EDIT: fixed messed-up idiom...
  • Haftoof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haftoof polycounter lvl 4
    What is the base of the anthro-species. Form follows function, find the base, look at it's environment, find out its natural ability. Figure out the body design and match the species to your concept, then think about clothing to match the species. A desert rodent might look more towards 4 with the wrapping around the neck that can be pulled over the face.

Just thoughts.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The anthro-species is deer. Culturally to me, that doesn't really scream anything else besides Western European which WoW has done time and time again already.

I'd be honest to say I'm at a loss for what culture to roll with the WoW hasn't done. for this character.
  • Voncire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like 7 or 10 as they are more in in line as bravo
  • Haftoof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lots of different species in that kind of arena.

What about a desert antelope. You already have slight touches on that "dune"-like look in the above concept (tight fitting with wrapped scarf around the neck).
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That could work! And from there, err it closer to medieval Turkish aesthetics and garb?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    The head is really saying "armadillo" to me right now, I suggest looking at various cartoon deer to get a good stylized deer head shorthand.
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
    to me, deer and fine clothes + weapons and armor just don't fly together very well. if anything, I would imagine that kind of species to be much like taurens. also I would use the fact that deers have elongated neck, rather than just deer's head on average humanoid body.

/ps I know that taurens can wear plate armor in game and can also equip finest elven weapons, but their selling point was in the very first WoW intro, and its kinda sticks, no matter what.
  • Haftoof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tauren were fashioned after native american culture. WoW is also about breaking stereotypes. I can see a desert antelope going with turkish culture. The horns provide interesting texture.

Medieval Turkish can go towards crusaders or traditional middle-eastern themes, up to you really. Just a matter of building it out. You shouldn't need to change the build of the character too much, just add some distinguishing features (coloration, horns, etc). There's a couple of different desert species so look about see what you like.

You can also go saharian if you want. Might also want to look at mountain antelope or goat for other variety. With Tauren they definately took a lot of influences from a lot of different bovine for the horns and overall coloration.

(I agree on the armadillo, I edited it out of an earlier post because it wasn't that important.)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sword Singer WIP 04

So with suggestion and brainstorming you guys have done, I'm pushing this towards a Persian/Turkish inspired design, and changing the species to an Anthropomorphic Antelope.

I'm feeling confident about this, but time is short. Hopefully the silhouette here is crazy enough.

The value scheme isn't refined, I'm still blocking armor and clothing before I do value checking and adjustments.

Thoughts?

1560768_10151945159988227_1397861067_n.jpg
  • killazzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dig the form in this latest concept, my only critique would be to perhaps match more closely the slenderness of the waste and arms into your legs, there looking quite large and being an Anthropomorphic deer of some kind, you could have them be less bulky, I realize the armor is propably making up the most of the form so, perhaps follow the idea of the waste fabric thats more tight with its body. Otherwise i really dig the armor elements, im not really seeing Turkish/Persian as much as I would like, but it definitely reads desert.

gerenuk-antelope-chris-scroggins.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP 05

I think I am close. I know the silhouette is still not super crazy, but I hope the artists on the World of Warcraft team might see this silhouette as serving a lithe and nimble figure isntead of the player armor sets of huge and epic.

Am I ready to go and sculpt, Polycount?

qqW2uAa.jpg
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    It looks nice out of context but honestly It does really fit blizzard style imo, it's just look like a regular anthro.
  • CSOConnor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Concept looks pretty good so far. I'd say you should really exaggerate some of those forms though, specifically the shoulder armor and the antlers. Get more of an extreme s-shape with the horns, blizzard is all about their silhouettes. Keep at it, you've only got a few more days to get it done! Looking forward to seeing more.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP 06

Starting rough body sculpt. Moving onto rough armor and clothing sculpt.

gCRqcCj.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nvm, no time to sculpt to get AO bakes and what not. Going straight to low poly construction mostly.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sword Singer WIP 07

Rushing down the pipe, should get to UV's soon once I figure out the afghan, additional topology edits for limbs, etc.

I think I'm happy with the sword geo. I wanted to keep it simple anyways, like Needle from "Game of Throne."

Anyone see anything stand out to fix in terms of wireframe or topology?

Free-view the model here.

RT5vzeo.jpg
  • Broadway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Broadway polycounter lvl 9
    Cool! A Turkish antelope is possibly the one animal/culture combo not already found in WoW, heh. Suggestions:

- Agree with above folks that forms could be more exaggerated. The places where pieces of the costume overlap could have the overlapping edges pushed outwards more to make it look more chunky.

- You might want to show more of the upper thigh pads (the things under the skirt) because the striped pattern on these in your concept is cool so you might as well show them off more :)

- I'd make the chest jewel a little bigger, and maybe add geo for the metal pieces around it to give them some form and make the chest plate area kind of a focus

- You have the trailing neck sash in the back - you could also drape part of it over the front of the chest plate for some asymmetry

- Maybe make the head smaller? It seems a bit too beefy for an antelope

- Just throwing this out there, I know your plan was to go for a straight rapier for the sword, but I think it would look cool if the sword mirrored the curving shape of the antlers. You could repeat that motif elsewhere too, like maybe curve the shoulder pads outward a bit or something.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sword Singer WIP 09

Texturing! Any critiques?

f7otoTa.jpg
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    Wow good job so far! I know you may not really have time to go back for this, but the antler silhouette holds a lot of weight, so some more attention there could be beneficial. Consider:
    Talbuk.png

Also I feel too much noise in the kilt and chain mail. WoW tends to simplify many tiny things into fewer chunkier forms. Consider chains like these, or even scales.
    BloodElf_Female_Flimsy_Chain_Mail_Armor_Set.png
    1068.jpg

just my 2c. I can't wait to see the final! :)
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    I suggest you check out Tyson Murphy. You can see how he paints in the lighting information. Also adding a gradiant to the character from darker near the feet to lighter near the top is a commonly used practice. It helps to focus your eyes as well as give a sense of depth.final_texture.jpg
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Here's what that amazing paint job looks like in real time. tysonmurphy001.jpg
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Larger forms, stylize the chain-mail to something that will read better from a distance. Pick a top down lighting scenario and roll with it from there. Punch the contrast a bit more.

Cool start though, keep going and make sure you finish!
  • Megacorpse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Megacorpse polycounter lvl 8
    I really love your color choices ! But yeah, as a wow-style character you should make detailed textures chunkier and push your highlights to have a clear material definition and make your character easier to read from a distance. Your silhouette already works well.
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rafferty_Eggleston polycounter lvl 9
    Nice progress since the first time I saw your thread. You should add more hue and saturation changes. Right now it looks like you're using different values of the same color (i.e. the sleeves are the same brown, just light and darker versions of it). If you look at Dimfist's example with Tyson Murphy's piece, the red fabric has blue hues, and the metal has brown, etc. You can really push your hue and saturation changes with the hand painted style. Additionally, there looks to be some UV inconsistencies. Your mail on the arms is of a much larger scale than the mail on your torso. The chain mail doesn't really look too hand painted either. Looking forward to more progress and I wish you the best of luck!