Home General Discussion

Maya - Name Joints and handles in viewport

Dawsky
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Dawsky polycounter lvl 9
Hi Community

I was looking through Google and through this forum recently but could`nt find any help, so I desperately start this thread.

I was wondering if there is a way to name joints and handles so their names will appear not only in the hypershade/outliner but in the viewport aswell.

To give an example:

There are 2 joint connected with an IK handle.
In the viewport I now want to see the name of the joints, just next to it,
(This needs to be attached to the joint, so if the joint was moved, it`s name would move with it) as also the name of the IK handle and for example it`s current lenght
(this would have to be connected somehow to the value in the attribute editor so it would update automatically).

If this was applied to every joint and handle on a rig, the animatior could see all names and current values right in the viewport without having to look up every single value in the attribute editor.

Of course this only makes sence as long as the rig doesn`t get too complex, as it would become to confusing to see what is going on.

If this is not too hard to explain, I would be very happy to hear how this works, if even possible or maybe someone knows a tutorial on how to make this happen?

I hope you guys get the point even though my english isn`t perfect :)

Thanks in advance and have a nice day.
Dawsky

Replies