Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Churn_Wip

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
eye-work polycounter lvl 5

Hello,

For this character I'm going towards slightly exaggerated proportions. Inspired heavily by Brink's character design, and Jon Foster's art.

This is a basemesh which I'd like to keep refining with your help.

Please advise what looks wrong and stands out, so I could start going deeper into the rabbit hole.

chk blog for higher res.

Thanks fellas.

Replies

• eye-work
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

- Refined the body more adding details.
  • eye-work
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

- Started to play around with emotions / expressions.
    - Didn't get satisfactory result, reverted to neutral expression
  • eye-work
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

- Took some time off from looking at the body; didn't like the proportions and the style, decided to redo it fully, yet keeping the head.
  • eye-work
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

- Took the time to experiment in rendering out separate parts in Keyshot; seeing the different angles through a true perspective camera.
    - Played around /w fibermesh in creating dreads.
  • eye-work
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

- Here questions arise, which seems better the longer coat, or the shorter (jacket)?
    - And does the Pelt on the shoulders add to the silhouette of the character or take away?
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    I like the progression of this character! About the coat...I think there is a more imposing silhouette with the fur, and I definitely like the way it looks longer. My opinion is that the fur would look better if it didn't terminate in his pits, but maybe followed the lapel. Cheers!
  • eye-work
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye, Dim - I agree, making changes as of now; also want to make it more game-chr like, so adding a gauntlet /w long nail-blades for a weapon. I'll post it soon, you'll have to tell me if it works or not :)
  • eye-work
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Those boots rock. A little kit bashing goes a long way! Did you use any reference? I do think the material definition is a little iffy withhow it is rendered. Is that a canvis where the eyelets and zipper are? Could you show a polyframe capture too so I can see how you built them? Rock on.
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    This is looking superb, and I agree with Dim, the fur should go all the way down the lapels as it looks a bit odd stopping under his armpits. Fantastic work though,especially those shoes! :D
  • eye-work
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim,

I used the zipper and the back-top part (the handle) as an insert mesh in Zbrush. The wireframe is a mess as of right now, I'll show it off a bit later.

Yeah, I accentuated the leather alphas, for them to, theoretically, bake better.

I'll need your opinion in my next post :)

Auld,

Thank you :) Aye, pelt/fur concept has been changed to more of a hoodie - take a look.
  • eye-work
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fun time has come, when I get to play around and brake down the symmetry.

As I want this to be a game character, I decided to make him more game-like by giving him a weapon. And this is where questions arise.

1)

- Cut one of his sleeves off, adding a claw-like weapon and other accessories.
    - Want to make the underpart of the armored arm have a Witchblade vibe;
    - Likewise, the top having a demonic face.
    - The pelt/fur has been changed to a hood, still not sure how to fully integrate it into the jacket; might just keep it as a separate piece.
    Thus, the arm is used for sacrifices, etc. (because the character is a Neo-Voodoo Priest)

2) 

- Because it has been suggested that the character as a whole gives off an urban / earthly feel, the armored arm is a little bit far fetched;
    - Thus bringing it back in time, and giving the character old/grungy w/o faces or patters.
    - Instead of the claws - a sickle ?

3)

- The red pieces are the new accessories added;
    - Nothing on the fingers, possibly just gloves
    - Two Shredder-like meet hooks
    - Experimenting of giving the 'hoodie' shape a bigger silhouette.

Which weapon do you guys think suits better for the character?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I think that last hook design would be a little difficult to use as a weapon. He'd have to move it past his target and then pull backwards to actually do any damage with the points.

Your best option might be to take some time to work out exactly what this guy does for a living and develop a suitable weapon based on that. The rugged, waterproof clothing and weathered features makes me think of a dock worker or sailor. Maybe you could do something with a stevedore's hook or something.
  • eye-work
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack,
    My original intention was on making this character to be new-aged Charon, so him having Stevedore's hook would've been an awesome idea.

Ya, i'll go in the fantasy direction, sticking with the fantasy approach. Hopefully I'll be able to describe in which direction i'm going based on my WIPS :)