Home Technical Talk

Which apps do you use to create ornaments and circular shapers?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
I've always wondered how people draw circular shapes like the one on the top of this table.

new-ampir-col-9-b.jpg

The problem is that the circle should be divided in segments and software should support some visible guides to help with that. Is there anything like this in PS, Illustrator, Inkscape?

Replies

• SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    The picture is very small, so it's hard to understand which part you are referring to, but if I'd have to do something like that, I would use Cinema 4D (some of the repetitions could be easily done with MoGraph), reproducing the patterns with splines (I find it more manageable than Photoshop/Illustrator Pen Tool) and when I'm done, export it from the Top view as a .DXF, so that Illustrator can open it, if needed you can copy the paths and paste them in Photoshop (from Illustrator).
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    You could create it in Illustrator starting with a Star object, and specify the number of sides, then copy, past in place and modify by pulling all outside handles, repeat as necessary. Same for patterns on the side, you can then place a vector smart object in Photoshop and create your texture sheets.
  • Moosebish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moosebish polycounter lvl 12
    The whole prop could be divided into fifths, so you'd only need to texture 1/5 of the circle. I'd probably just eye ball it, then adjust it back and forth until it looked right..

For the patterns that go in a circle, I'd make a tileable and unwrap that strip in a straight line so that it wraps in a circle.
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    You can create the pattern in a straight rectangular plane with many divisions then use a bend modifier (or twist) to conform it to a circular shape. Then screen shot or render it out and clean it up a bit. This would be using 3ds max.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Illustrator would work fine. As would photoshop.
    It looks like a sort of flower pattern. Just create one petal and make a copy with rotation setting the pivot point to the center. Turn on the grid or setup guides if you need to.
    Then you can just duplicate again with the same properties to get the whole flower pattern.

The exterior scroll work could be created as a single tileable piece then used as a pattern brush on a circular line stroke, or create a long part and use it as an art brush stroke.