Home General Discussion

Razer Orbweaver/Tartarus for 3D?

G3L
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
G3L polycounter lvl 9
Would anyone recommend this peripheral to map hotkeys and not having to use the keyboard for those uses? It felt pretty comfortable and I'm sure it's nice for gaming but it would interest me even more if I could use it with Maya, Photoshop, etc.

Orbweaver
http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-orbweaver

- Tartarus is pretty much the same thing but I think the Orbweaver is the newer version -

Replies

• James Ordner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Imo, that's just a replacement for a keybord (with less keys), which to me makes it rather useless. If you want something like this, I recommend this mouse. You don't need to move between the peripheral and your keyboard, and you have a ton of commands you can use on your right hand.
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    I used an older version for years and loved it with 3ds max. The problem was that when I would go to a new workstation or on a clients computer i would be lost trying to do simple tasks. I now just use the regular keyboard and avoid the hassle.
  • GrevSev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    I was using the Nostromo In maya for a bit
    The speed boost was fun and massive buuut I gave it to my cousin because i had just got a new keyboard

I hate using the default keyboard shortcuts for any game or program.
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    Personally I'd stick with a 9 button mouse and that'll be enough to be efficient. I have a Tartarus after I already remapped everything in 3ds Max to the keyboard and mouse and I still have plenty of room. The only thing I would use it for in Max at this point are windows you pop up now and again or script windows just because it would be easier to remember Tartarus maps than keyboard modifier and maps after a fair amount of time of not using a key.

The biggest pro of these are the ability to not fuck up default keybinds when your first learning a program but once you know your program thoroughly and unkeybind everything to rekeybind (unless it's something silly like photoshop where you can't unkeybind some cmds..) Its use diminishes compared to a multi button mouse.

biggest con is it's not really workstation to workstation friendly so expect to be significantly slower if your at any other computer.

If I had to rate it, I'd say for initial convenience it's great.. but over time I find it'll slow you down in some respects. Up to you in the end - but def recommend just adding loads of buttons on a mouse first.

Edit* - The way I use it isn't a replacement keyboard but an extender (can easily argue keyboard is more than enough buttons but my counter argument is this is much more organized and can rotate all keys without modifiers).. and I have it rotated 90 degrees to get the hand rest out of the way.

I'm not for or against the product.
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the replies so far!

Seems like having a mouse with multiple buttons is a good way to go. So bringing up the slice tool or add edge loop tool would work with the mouse buttons? I've never really used any of these kinds of peripherals so trying to see if they work well with 3D programs since they'll work for gaming real well, that much I know.

I should also make it clear at this point that I wanted to invest in something that wouldn't cramp my hands at times. Having to alt+MMB makes the thumb on my left hand go sore and I have so many things I want to hotkey but I don't want to overextend my fingers to the other side of the keyboard.

On that note, Ive seen people use a wacom in 3D which seems pretty nifty but I'm all about hotkeys. Plus would be nice to have a peripheral that I can take to work and use at home as well.
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    G3L wrote: »

I should also make it clear at this point that I wanted to invest in something that wouldn't cramp my hands at times. Having to alt+MMB makes the thumb on my left hand go sore and I have so many things I want to hotkey but I don't want to overextend my fingers to the other side of the keyboard.

I've never had any soreness problems with the alt button yet, but sounds like you're referring the view port nav which you can change I believe with a script.

But in my setup this is no problem as I just use shift as the modifier as it imo is the most ergonomic of the 3.
    I'll just give you an example in terms of the Razer Naga and w/e the Logitech equivalent is.

I tend to keep the most active keys on my mouse so it's usually edit poly cmds.
    The #'s are the side buttons.

Razer(1) - Inset
    Razer(1) Shift - Outline

Razer (2) - Bevel Mode
    Razer (2) Shift - Bevel Settings

Razer (3) - Connect Mode
    Razer (3) Shift - Connect Mode
    Razer (3) Alt - Collapse

etc. etc.

Typically I keep similar or mode changes on same keybind (and keep tool sets in regions of keys or the mouse - like edit poly cmds on the mouse) but with a modifier change to regulate the chaos of 100+ keybinds.

But if you consider to still use the middle mouse nav in 3d studio max I suggest you don't buy razer as in my experience the middle mouse will usually break in a couple years of use due to crappy design.
  • crimeny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use the spaceball, keyboard, mouse combo
    and I second the mouse with many buttons.
    however, the g600mmo/naga is to me huge overkill. I prefer the logical placement of buttons on the g700. The top three buttons use for transformations.
  • James Ordner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L wrote: »
    Plus would be nice to have a peripheral that I can take to work and use at home as well.

I don't know how many other mice do this, but the g600 saves all its keymaps onboard, so if you plug the mouse into any computer, it just works.