Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Next gen character

Hey guys, im looking to advance my sculpting skills and want to try to get into next gen character creation. Would love to get your feedback! Right now im sculpting the body and then will work on the clothes.

811_max.jpg

Replies

• ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    way, way, way to high of a subdivision level for what you have. You need to try to lock down the anatomy and structure in the lower levels before going anywhere near the number of polygons you have.

Detail is last in order of priority. Structure first. For example make sure the skull is appropriately shaped before you start sculpting mustache hairs.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Accroman: Define next gen, did you want to make something of the quality you see in games like Killzone: Shadow Fall?
  • accroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks so much for the feedback ysalex. I understand not sculpting in hairs and stuff early and getting the anatomy and structure right first. I brought the model down a few subdivs and considered zremeshing and resculpting. I left the eyebrows just because i feel like the person isnt human without them haha. JadeEyePanda, i really want to create realistic characters like the ones you see from games like the Last of Us, even though thats only PS3. I expect PS4 games will definately push the envelope of believability. I just liked that Joel to me was a character with so much depth like the characters you see in film.
  • accroman
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Its better than the previous shot but have you thought about starting with a well quadded base mesh? The forms are still pretty blobby and seems like the current subdiv being worked with is still a little high.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Just to note, this guy has some really long thumbs. Might be a good idea to bring 'em back some. Are you working with references?
  • accroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys thanks so much for the feedback! its really helping me a lot! Torch i started with zspheres then built up forms but yeah im finding that i constantly have to go back to lower subdiv levels to fix the forms i built up. Im primarily using elliot goldfingers anatomy for the artist but for the most part im just sculpting from my mind. I resized the thumbs a bit too and added alphas to create skin. I dont want this guy to be overly shredded but at the same time i want his body to be well defined. Not sure if that makes sense but yea :) Side not i havent sculpted his toes since he will be wearing shoes but i might just do it anyway for the reference.

Im looking at actors like christian bale and michael fassbender for facial reference :)
    christian-bale-batman.jpg

816_max.jpg

334_max.jpg
  • silkroadgame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    His muscles are very good so far,but lots of details,such as his ears,mouth and nose are still need to modify.
  • imApex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imApex polycounter lvl 8
    I personally think the head in the last shot is great. Not everyone has this perfectly shaped skull like in most games and what not. Big ups. However silkroad is right about the ears, they definitely need work.
  • accroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    128_max.jpg

quick update. I took what you said silkroadgame and tried to modify it to bring it to the same level of detail as the muscles. Cheers again guys!
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Nice improvement with this last one. I'd definitely suggest bringing his pectoral muscles down. Your character is clearly very muscular, so one could assume his pecs would be larger. Note how they come down below the top of the bicep.

how-to-build-your-pectoral-musclesmov.WidePlayer.jpg?v2

Edit: Might I throw in that you're still probably working at a higher subdivision level than necessary. It's easy to tell because you get a very noisy look to the skin, where it's very bumpy in places where it shouldn't be.

When you work on a piece, work at the lowest subdivision you can until you're absolutely sure you need that next set of polys. It gets difficult to smoothe skin while retaining detail with a high subdiv. Sorta like... smoothing out bubbles in a screen cover.
  • accroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey stirls thanks for your input. I'm fixing the pecs now. I understand what you mean by working at lower subdivs. I was just hoping you could give me some indication as to where the blobby parts are on my mesh because I can't really see it probably because I've been working on it all the time. I'll do a smoothing pass at lower sub div levels to try and iron out the roughness