Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Baking Errors

Hey everyone, I just recently completed a tutorial for making game ready models. This meant that i would have to bake a normal map, while i follow the tutorial to the letter i still came upon some baking errors. Any help in resolving this would be greatly appreciated! Ps. The image on the left side is that of the bake and the error is this strange line down the model.h.jpg

Replies

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Under Mesh on the left tool bar try switching the Tangent Space settings to whichever software in which you baked your normals.
  • PrimeWire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the quick reply! Ok so i did as you suggested and the normal looks perfect under the xNormal Tangent which is not the program i used to do the normals. I used 3ds max and tried the 3ds max tangent as well it still had the error is there something else that could be causing this or should i be ok? perhaps a sloppy bake? (im still relatively new to baking)
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    You've tried checking "flip y" over in the normal map's settings? I don't know if that's the issue, but it's generally a good thing to try.
  • PrimeWire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That worked wonders... My "hopefully" last two question is with these options changed will this be how the mesh will render in game? Or will the game editor be option similar? Game this is for is Killingfloor which runs off udk i believe. How would i make a texture with a normals map? From what i understand the texture itself will be a complete map? maybe AO map? not completely sure on that any help would be appreciated. Thanks again everyone!
    edit: I did try the different coordinates flips before i had changed the tangent. Didn't try it after the tangent which was a new guy mistake i suppose XD.
  • dazzerfong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Each specific engine/renderer has their own tangent basis. As it so happens, the difference between 3DS Max's and Marmoset's tangent basis is the green (Y) channel, which is flipped.

Don't confuse the purpose of the maps. Normal map will always be on its own (maybe with a specular in its alpha channel), but AO and cavity maps either are used on themselves to occlude global illumination or are multiplied on top of the diffuse map to simulate GI.
  • PrimeWire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay so i should be done with this normal now that it looks fine? My next step would be to make a cavity map correct? Then my diffuse map? Thanks again for the help the tutorial i was watching on digital tutors kinda just ends after the normal maps bakes D:.
  • dazzerfong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cavity map is more or less similar to AO: however, rather than capturing macro detail, it captures micro detail better. Use XNormal for it, if I were you. Incredibly nifty, and easy to use (though the program's sore on the eyes :) ).

To be honest, you can skip out on the cavity map if you wanted to, particularly if you don't have any smaller details the AO might have glanced over. Before you do that, make sure everything's working and fine, then go make the diffuse!

If I were you, clean up the UV's a bit. They're a mess right now.
  • PrimeWire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried a test run making normals on xNormals and didn't get good results :l. The objects uvs are part of a larger gun it just was hidden, the tutorial i was following told me to bake each object separately>.>. I believe I've packed the entire uv map fairly well ill post a picture tomorrow if anyone wants to check it, i will also post a complete normals and cavity map.
  • dazzerfong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After baking in XNormal, did you flip the green channel? If you did, don't. Also, don't bake separately: explode the mesh instead. Much more efficient when baking like that: for starters, you only ahve to click once.
  • PrimeWire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so i finally finished the normal map and would like to ask how does it look to other people? I believe that most of the present error areas are able to be fixed in photoshop, but i could be mistaken about that any information regarding that would be very much appericated.h2.jpg
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Are you splitting your smoothing groups with hard edges/separate geometry? Also could we take a look at your normal map?

I would advise not getting in the habit of fixing your normal map problems inside of Photoshop. You should really try and figure out the real reason behind it. It's just a bad habit to get into and a hack. It also won't produce as good of results if you actually fix the underlying problem and get a good bake the right way.

Earthquake has 2 threads that explain quite a bit about normals and baking. I'd invite you to check them out if you haven't already.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107196

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81154
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    It looks like you have a lot of 'X' shaped smoothing errors. If you look close you can see this.

These errors happen when you bake your normal map with your triangle orientation in one direction, and then display your model with the triangles going in other directions.

To fix this, always remember to force your model to be triangulated before you bake and import into a 3D package. Before you bake, add a "Turn to poly" modifier on your 3D object and choose the 'limit polygon' option to 3. This is a non destructive way to bake and export your 3D model with 'forced' triangulation. This will fix many of your issues.

Rarely if ever fix bake errors in photoshop, in a production environment it's a waste of time.
  • Fridock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fridock polycounter lvl 11
    Umm just asking here, what would be more preferable - tangent or object space normals? Personally i bet on object space because it always gives me nice results, but i obviously don't see the other side of the coin here.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Object space I believe gives more accurate results. Most engines will require tangent space normal maps though. I heard that you can't have mirrored UV's with object space normal maps either. Can someone confirm this?
  • Quack!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! wrote: »
    It looks like you have a lot of 'X' shaped smoothing errors. If you look close you can see this.

These errors happen when you bake your normal map with your triangle orientation in one direction, and then display your model with the triangles going in other directions.

To fix this, always remember to force your model to be triangulated before you bake and import into a 3D package. Before you bake, add a "Turn to poly" modifier on your 3D object and choose the 'limit polygon' option to 3. This is a non destructive way to bake and export your 3D model with 'forced' triangulation. This will fix many of your issues.

Rarely if ever fix bake errors in photoshop, in a production environment it's a waste of time.

+1000

Yeah, I think if you simple triangulate your mesh before exporting you should fix these issues. The problem is that when quads are imported into Toolbag, Toolbag needs to decide which direction to triangulate in, and that may vary from your 3d app. With max you shouldn't need to triangulate before baking, but certainty before exporting for best results.

Tobbo wrote: »
    Object space I believe gives more accurate results. Most engines will require tangent space normal maps though. I heard that you can't have mirrored UV's with object space normal maps either. Can someone confirm this?

Tangent space maps are pretty much industry standard, support for object space maps is very slim in game engines. With object space maps you can't mirror (unless you have a special shader), its much harder to add hand-painted detail, and there are issues with animation as well (again your shader needs to be set up to allow animations).

So stick with tangent unless your programmers/technical artists on your project tell you to use object space.
    dazzerfong wrote: »
    Each specific engine/renderer has their own tangent basis. As it so happens, the difference between 3DS Max's and Marmoset's tangent basis is the green (Y) channel, which is flipped.

The differences are much larger than the swizzle/handness/green channel orientation. Max, Maya and xnormal(mikktspace) all calculate bi-normals and tangents differently, which means that if you bake a normal map in max, and send it to an engine calibrated for maya style maps, you'll likely get smoothing errors.

You should always bake in the app that your engine's tangent space is set up to use, if you're not sure, talk to your programmers.

You can also use handplane to transfer from object space maps to the tangent space of your choice for various engine.

Some engines use their own proprietary tangent space (like UE3/UDK, source, etc), and the best way to get accurate results is to use handplane.
  • PrimeWire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe i have separate the smoothing groups with uv hard edges? Not completely sure but i selected edges on the model that had large angles and "break" the egdes on the uv map. Normals.jpg
  • PrimeWire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so i should be fairly set then if i triangulate the model before i export it into toolbag? Thanks everyone for the response xD
    Edit: I did give both normal post by Earthquake a read which is where i began to do the uvmap hard-edge splits but i may have messed up along the way, may need to give it another shot.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe textools http://www.renderhjs.net/textools/ has a script for setting uv islands to smoothing groups.

It looks like you have some other errors here too, that green decal with the wings should not be green, make sure the highpoly source mesh does not have inverted faces.

And another bit a little lower on the map has strange screen-door like artifacts. Not sure what would cause that, duplicated polys in the lowpoly maybe?
  • PrimeWire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have used tex tools to use the uv island for smoothing groups then went back and fixed a few minor smoothing group errors. Checking into the issue about the Eagle i was unable to find any inverted faces,vertices, or anything of the sort. The attached picture has a few areas circled in red, which leads to my last question of what are these areas and is there any way to fix them?
    Edit: I did triangulated the mesh aswell
    H3.jpg
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Your normal map is inverted.