Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Just finished this level in UDK

triangle
Offline / Send Message
JustColorado triangle
Well it is never finished. But I am moving on to a new project. Here is how far I got on the last one.

http://youtu.be/i1bwf2oHWb4

Replies

• JustColorado
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustColorado triangle
  • Armangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armangelo polycounter lvl 6
    Nice video. It could use some more details or props to fill out the spaces. It looks a bit too clean. If you've got the time, a sweet height-based shader for rain puddles could make it top notch.
    That's some really nice rain too. Can you share your process with that? All my info or tutorials are a bit old.
  • JustColorado
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustColorado triangle
    Armangelo wrote: »
    Can you share your process with that? All my info or tutorials are a bit old.

The rain is just transparent plains with some panning rain drops.
    I learned it in this tutorial http://eat3d.com/udk_cinematics

It is not really the most optimized way to do rain. My shader complexity map was lit up dark red wherever the rain was.
  • barrettmeeker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa, I love your camera motion. How are you doing it?!
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I never before got any kind of motion sickness (not even in Mirror's Edge without reticle and runner vision) from games, but this makes me kinda funny feeling. The way the camera perspective shifts makes the whole level feel wobbly. You can see very clearly what I mean at 0:03 when first moving forward, and when running across the bridge around 1:15, looking at the two large towers.

I like that you're trying to get a natural sway in there, but because it's not quite what it should be, it actually makes the disconnect of the virtual world much stronger.
  • shrogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shrogg polycounter lvl 12
    @Snader - To me it looks like Youtubes stabilizer has kicked in, because at some points the video warps in a way that just does not look right.
  • JustColorado
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustColorado triangle
    shrogg wrote: »
    @Snader - To me it looks like Youtubes stabilizer has kicked in, because at some points the video warps in a way that just does not look right.

Yes youtube warped it. It was nice and clean on my machine. Next time they ask me about that stabilizer, I am going to say NO.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Can't you undo the stabilizer? Or at least, I think they give the option for a preview of the tweaks before saving. Seriously though, if it's because of YT you might wanna go and do another walkthrough.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I'm curious as to how you went about doing the bridge. It's hard to tell from the video as I didn't see any moment where you stopped to look down but did you model in the stones or did you just use a texture? The pop out is amazing!

Overall, it's a very nice looking level.

To fix the youtube shakiness, sign into your youtube account, go to the video, then under the video you should see a wand icon that is labeled as "Enhancements". Click that, then in the top right corner you should see "Revert to original" or something along those lines. Click that, then click save. The video might have to process again so keep that in mind, but it should fix your camera problem.
  • JustColorado
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustColorado triangle
    NegevPro wrote: »
    I'm curious as to how you went about doing the bridge. It's hard to tell from the video as I didn't see any moment where you stopped to look down but did you model in the stones or did you just use a texture? The pop out is amazing!

Overall, it's a very nice looking level.

To fix the youtube shakiness, sign into your youtube account, go to the video, then under the video you should see a wand icon that is labeled as "Enhancements". Click that, then in the top right corner you should see "Revert to original" or something along those lines. Click that, then click save. The video might have to process again so keep that in mind, but it should fix your camera problem.

I tried stabilizing it like you said. I am waiting to see what the new result will be.

For the bridge the stones came with UDK. The rest of the GEO for the bridge and about 90% the level as a whole all came from this one texture:

Castle_Diffuse.jpg

and this group of 11 models I made by extruding and breaking up the texture:

TileSet.jpg
  • SuperDuty455
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperDuty455 polycounter lvl 6
    Nice ! A little empty/clean but it's still a WIP.

There are two things I don't like though, first is the direct sun light shadows in a stormy cloudy weather with no sun visible, must be a lightmap issue or something, and second is the thunder sound triggering at the same time as the lightning, you should delay it of few seconds. Unless it's right in front of the player (say less than 500m), the thunder should always be delayed a bit.