Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

M1928 Tommy Gun (WIP)

Hi, I have been working on a M1928 Tommy Gun and have reached the final stages of the texture process, however, i'm not entirely happy with the results so far. I believe it's has lost it's realism because of the texturing and possibly how i have layed out my UV's.

Any feedback would be helpful please!
(I have included the UV's with this post!)

[SKETCHFAB]006470851e8b432894b9901ce57cd99a[/SKETCHFAB]

Replies

• ng.aniki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ng.aniki polycounter lvl 13
    Hello ! :)
    A few things :
    -Did you make a high poly for the whole gun ?
    the wooden parts(Handle, etc) looks like they just have average normal map without any baked data. And I don't have any reference under the hand but I doubt they were that square-ish.

-I think your metal texture have to strong scratches. And those scratches are wrong. You should try to imagine how they get on the gun, in what direction they should be, and where. For example, it is not possible for a scratch to go straight along a corner.

-You should also make a more interesting specular. Have some parts where the specular is less stronger because of light rust for example. (Now that I look at it I am not sure if there is any specular map at all ?)

-The back of the gun (at the shoulder) needs some work, some more information to tell where the wood end and where the metal start. There should be something else there (in the normal map too). Imagine at how they made it. (example: http://www.smashinglists.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Tommy_Gun3-600x450.jpg )

You could definately have some Ambient Occlusion baked into the diffuse also. And some more dirt.

Edit:
    I forgot:
    -You should use several pictures as reference, and from different angles, the handle and the metal part around the trigger are really too large and squared, look at some more references pictures.
    -Your UVs looks fine, you could have overlapped some parts though.
    -But when I looked at the wireframe, I see many edges that are useless, you should spend some time cleaning the mesh and reducing the polycount.
    -And finally, it looks like there are some holes in your mesh. (Like on top of the safety pin)

Anyway, good luck for the rest, keep up the hard work !
  • ben365-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ng.aniki

firstly, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated, a few questions i need to ask though

The mesh includes a specular map but was wondering how i can make it look it has specular detail on the mesh?

Is there a way to make sure that i do not end up with stretched textures on my mesh, this usually occurs when applying details to the mesh, but sometime they can turn out blurry

My plans for this mesh are:

- Look back at the high poly mesh and fixed the some of the parts such as the handle
    - Remove the unnecessary edges
    - Focus on getting in the detail for the diffuse and spec
  • ng.aniki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ng.aniki polycounter lvl 13
    You are welcome, happy to help !

For the specular, to have "Specular detail", like small highlight here and there, you need a really contrasted specular. The whole specular should bit a bit dark, to allow to have strong highlights at some places. (Here is an example of specular map from, I don't know where, but to have an idea of the brightness/contrast that you could aim: http://pogs.free.fr/DoW/spec.jpg )Basically the specular map is there to determine the contrast in the texture, and then you should have a way to change the specular intensity in your material.
    (Also, don't forget to play with the gloss/specular power)

usually, how I proceed (Everyone has its own way, but this is mine):
    I usually start from the diffuse, flatten (with some layers of the diffuse hidden if necessary), you boost its contrast(Have 2 different "bightness/contrast" or "levels" adjustment layers for the metal and the wood, each part should have its own contrast and brightness).
    Then I reuse some of the layers I used for the diffuse, to boost some details. Note that some brighter details in the diffuse might look good if they are darker in the specular. (You can think about how things look in real life. Some dirt might be bighter than what is is on, but have no specularity).

And after that I usually add details in the specular that is not at all (or barely) visible in the diffuse, to make the specular more interesting. Usually some dirt that would be darker in the specular.

If you want an old/rough look to your model(Like Stalker for example> http://i.imgur.com/ubDWmcV.jpg ), you can have some grain as multiply in the specular or even also in the diffuse.

This is like the global pipeline, but it really depends on what is the texture for.

Is there a way to make sure that i do not end up with stretched textures on my mesh, this usually occurs when applying details to the mesh, but sometime they can turn out blurry
    There is no magic solution, you really have to chose your textures wisely. Choose texture taken at the right distance too. For example, some textures you will find are taken really too close the subject. So the only way is either to have it on your texture at the wrong scale (Will look wrong/sometimes blurry/sometimes stretched) or to make it tile, which is not always ideal. So the solution: Don't pick that texture and chose a better one. Most of the time I pick photos that are taken far away from the surface, if the resolution is good you can use it for bigger and smaller details.

Don't hesitate to make some tests, bring the texture on your model, and if it is not satisfying, just delete it and find a better one. With time you will build your own library of textures that you like and that fits easily on your models.

Edit: Also, you could look for other video game weapons online, or in people's portfolio, find a style that you like and try to replicate it, to do the same style of texture. It is always good to have a nice reference.
  • ben365-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For your information, here's what the gun looks like before any modifications to the textures, this is the point where the mesh loses it's realism!
  • ben365-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a quick update on the progress of my Tommy Gun:

Made adjustments to the wood handles and the back of the gun

And I have completely re-done the UV's and baked all my textures, here what it looks like now:

don't know why my attachments are not showing on the forum

TommyGunPreview01.jpg