Home General Discussion

Do I really have to use Maya for animation?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
Not that there's anything wrong with Maya, but it seems to be the only option if you want to focus on serious rigging/animation. Is there any other tool out there right now that specializes in animation that is as good or close and user-friendly?

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    you can rig and animate in most packages, but most studios work in maya for this, so prolly best to learn what the industry uses.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    I find max more friendly than maya all day err day
  • lluc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lluc polycounter lvl 14
    A paper and a pen ! Animation is an art not a software!
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    As opposed to all other disciplines of course.

Yes, I'd learn Maya personally. Whilst not absolutely totally necessary, you're better off knowing it than not.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    motion builder is just as standard as maya, if not more so.. uses python for scripting and what not intead of some made up language :)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Maya has been able to use Python alongside Melscript for the last several versions.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    thatanimator maya has had python for a long time now, a lot of it;s legacy stuff is mel of course, but most new scripts are in python using either the pymel moduals or the cmds ones.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Pshh always, yo!
    Sucks, don't It?

In all honesty from what i keep hearing it is the beezzzknees.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    I mean correct me if I'm wrong but, it "shouldn't" matter what tool you use to make the work as long as you make the work.

That being said I'm sure there are studios that exclusively use maya, max, or motion builder,but the programs are just programs, the concepts are going to translate throughout.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weeeeeeeeeell still, motion builder ;D python or mel or not!
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, I'll toss Softimage's XSI into the mix

I believe it's Valve's go to animation software, and it sure is a thing of BEAUTY!
    A few other local TV & FX houses around town use it as well.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    thatanimator, I thought motionbuilder was primarily for editing mocap data?
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    You can use modo for animation.
  • jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    Besides looking at the base tools and studio popularity, it's also helpful to research the ecosystem around the software.

What are schools using? AM, iAnimate, and AnimSchool all provide rigs in Maya (though the latter may also provide XSI equivalents?).

Who's writing helpful scripts/plugins and for what software? On the Maya side, you have stuff like the incredible Morpheus 2.0 project and all the associated scripts from the CGMonks guys. You also have the Red9 Studio Pack which adds tons of functionality. That's not to say other software packages don't have free scripts available that would help your workflow, but it's hard to compete with the sheer amount of stuff available for Maya due to its current popularity.

Maya's not perfect animation software by any stretch of the imagination (and I would love for something better to come along), but it contains a mature tool set and a robust ecosystem of rigs, scripts, etc. Unless you have personal opposition to Autodesk or simply can't get your hands on a student copy or whatever, choosing Maya is a pretty decent option. At the very least you'll be able to get up and running quickly because there's a lot of training content available!
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    ive always found 3ds maxes cats and animation tools to be fantastic, what sort of advantages does maya actually have?
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl wrote: »
    thatanimator, I thought motionbuilder was primarily for editing mocap data?

I guess it is. but that doesn't mean it stops there, you still have all the keying features you'd ever need.
    I do all my handkeying in motion builder.

I know it's way standard in Sweden and I've come across tons of job listings where they want motion builder experience and I'm assuming it's not just for cleaning mocap.

The thing is that since it's primarily for mocap (quoting you on this, didn't ask autodesk rly :poly136:) it has a ton of nice tools like layers (which exist in other packages sure, but these are smoother to work with), offsetting your whole animation based on a quick tweek, like for example if you need your character to actually be 10 meters further in Z, you'd have to go and modify individual keys in other programs (just moving the hip's Z-curves would fuck you up else where, and moving everything in Z would probably as well) where as in motion builder you just move the whole character and click "move keys".. you've got the workflow of takes rather than seperate files / trax editor crap - for each animation, so you can quickly try something different in your animation by just moving all of the keys to a new take, tweek it, like it or not and delete/keep the take.

those are some things I like about it.. then of course the FK/IK-magic rig :poly124:

and that rotations aren't...hmm..global..local?...I dunno..
    I was cleaning mocap in maya a month or so ago where I had to match up run-starts and stops and whatever to 90-degree angles, with a run animation that was facing just forward. pasting in the forward run pose into a -90 or 180 turn would of course have the character flip at the last frame. motion builder would have done some magic there and......just....worked.. but in maya, I had to use the studios tools and copy a bunch of properties back and forth and trick maya into turning the character.