Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SubstanceAbuse:When handpainting is proceduralized,only proceduralists will hndpaint

So a couple months ago I felt the great urge to shoot things, moving things, things that shoot back. Realizing that this was an activity best done virtually, I re-loaded Borderlands 2 and gave it another play-through.

Now, usually, I try to leave my artists eye behind when I'm playing for fun. Yet, as I was cavorting about I found myself "dissecting" the textures and thinking about how to do them procedurally. Could I get that "cartoony" look?

Only one way to find out....

On the left are Gearbox's textures, followed by 3 random versions of my procedural interpretations.

showL.jpg

and yes I know how to use a color picker :)

Replies

• Lokter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lokter polycounter lvl 6
    There's dark magic at work here.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Dude, these are way too small to evaluate.

I know how the guys at gearbox make these textures and the final pass is an "inking" pass. There is a plugin called "toon it" for photoshop that can get things off to a good start, but I think if you really want to get the full effect there is simply no way to do this 100 percent procedural. You can try and you can get close, but it will never looked as polished as the real deal. That's how I feel about it at least.
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Awesome tests, Would love to see a higher res next to each other especially the 4th one down.

Making painterly looking stuff is damn hard procedurally... Though I have heard some studios using SD and still getting a painterly style.

edit: also even if you get 60% to the look with randomization and variations it is still really awesome if the rest of the 40% work can be done in photoshop. Just saying. Sometimes I end up doing masks in SD since I already have a preset for some masks based on normals, AO, and curvature... than I get 80% of the way in and than just modify in Photoshop to get the rest of the way.

Keep testing on! :D
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hang on, f'n Google+ wont let me choose a size.

ok, so Google+ blows, I want Picasa back.

any recommendations for image sharing?
  • shrogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shrogg polycounter lvl 12
    Try http://imgur.com/, Simple to use, you can paste your clipboard image onto it etc. and it supplies different image sizes and embedding code
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick little update, only one new texture, the other two are being difficult...

boxy.png

Gearbox is upper left.
  • JamesTKirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesTKirk polycounter lvl 8
    This looks interesting.
    How did you make those details like ducttape and info label?
    Did you paint them in substance by hand?
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nope, there are no bitmaps used on any of these.

the tape is just warped rectangles that I then normal map so I can generate an edge mask.

the shipping label is just mores squares, and the fragile/this end up stamp was made with disks, triangles and squares.

takes more time to do it like this, but it lets you do all kinds of cool stuff, and it takes up less disk space/bandwidth during download.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Hey man I am very interested in higher res screenshots and possibly the graphs for substance designer, if used. These look great and Substance designer seems perfect for this sort of thing!

Keep it up!
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Yeah man bumping this before it goes into nowhere. Also would love to see the higher res. Also are you making normal/height maps than adding this detail on from a height. Would be awesome.
  • Moosebish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moosebish polycounter lvl 12
    I could definitely see yours being used as a base texture. Its definitely hard to make anything auto generated look "hand painted"..