Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Nextgen vehicle

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
explorer3d polycounter lvl 13
Hello guys.
I would like to share with you my personal work.It's a heavy vehicle.I create in 3dsmax and grab the screenshot.also use the Xliulshader,It's cool shader .
The concept download in http://www.sagaofseven.com/concept/.Stuart Kim is a Great artist

11533949674_d1fafb4473_o.jpg
11533906404_71c951f2f4_o.jpg
11533948744_d9cafac4bd_o.jpg
11533948424_c6fc6eaaf1_o.jpg
11533999994_c31dc24331_o.jpg

Replies

• explorer3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a capture video in 3dsmax
    youtube:http://youtu.be/rEgFspp2hS0
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I want to start by saying that I like the dirt that's splattered on the underside of the vehicle. The grunge and decals on the texture look great.

Now, let's get something out of the way.

I'd tread carefully using the term "nextgen". It honestly means nothing anymore. People get extremely skeptical when that term is thrown around. It's often done so, by non-artists that really don't understand the term, such as marketing professionals. As an artist it just sets the viewers expectations sky high until they see what it is that is termed "nextgen". Usually it's a disappointment. You really just don't want to set yourself up like that.

You don't want to tell your viewers how great it is. You want your art to speak for itself. That's one thing I absolutely love about art. It's absolutely pure.

Now for my critiques. :)

I think it would benefit much more with some beveled edges and more geometry to create a stronger silhouette. It looks like you kept it very straight and simple with most of the shapes (what should be actual geometry) coming from the texture itself. That can work for isometric games or a model that will be viewed from a distance. But for everything else, you really should add geometry to make the silhouette much stronger. For instance, the door handles really should be modeled in with geometry instead of just relying on the texture.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Really nicely executed. Tight texture work and a pretty clean bake. I agree with Tobbo though.... Be careful with the labels.

It doesn't come across as a particularly next-gen vehicle. You could add so much more to the geometry and work on some advanced shader's. Looks almost painterly and flat in appearance.
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    looks very nice :) I would suggest you to add more color both into spec and diffuse
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The worn paint at the mid-line of the doors feels unrealistic. Cars just don't wear like that.

As far as 'next-gen' is concerned, PC vehicles in PS4/Xbone games will be measured in the hundreds of thousands of polys. The last firm numbers I have are for Forza 3, which was from 3 years ago on the 360 :
    FxzNI.jpg
    LOD0: 172753 polys
    LOD1: 45074 polys
    LOD2: 21802 polys
    LOD3: 13134 polys
    LOD4: 6360 polys
    LOD5: 2556 polys
    Hi-res cockpit: 79845 polys

(n.b. the 'firm numbers' came from someone who parsed the actual game models; the 'squishy' numbers are what developers' marketeers claim. I'd be willing to place 4's show room models in the 400k range, and 5's well over 1M.)
  • explorer3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo LANKUS MAXIMUS Paul68RageousThanks for your critique.Indeed, The "nextgen"title is not appropriate for my purpose. I have changed it.About use more geometry for silhouette.I agree your advise.that's have smooth edge for show hard surface.
    DWalker It's great information for me.Thanks :). The Forza is especially for car game. Most camera targets around car body.so I believe the huge faces for High quality necessary .Also i want to know polys that vehecle in others game.such as Call of duty,Battlefield,etc.if you have some information about it.
    It's my first to post work at Polycount. Thanks you guys. Your critiques are good tutorial for me
  • explorer3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have anyone can point out what the spec of PS4/Xbone games.just like the above vehicle.(polygon count,texture size,texture category,etc). I just want to know how much graphic performance increase in PS4/Xbone platform.Maybe it will be change the workflow.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Hey there. I saw your post in waywo and I thought to drop by and leave some feedback:

Judging your asset from the reference you have used I cans ay the following: You did a great job there. As far a I can see you really stayed very close to the detailed concept art and in my opinion even pushed the quality a bit further (concerning materials)

Now to the points where your asset is lets say lacking a bit:
    First everything Tobbo has said is true. BUT:
    The initial design by the concept artist was done for a game that combines RTS and fps gameplay and perspectives I guess. So I think the artist also did a good job to populate the vehicle with details but keeping silhouette very simple and avoid much geometry details that will eat up polycount budget. With that in mind it comes as no surprise that the vehicle is rather boring in terms of shape and silhoute and geomtry details especially when viewed from fps perspective.

What I want to say is: Most of the negative points for this asset are pretty much outside of your responsibility if you want to kepp close to the concept. The design flaws or lets say the missing awesomness for a frist person vehicle are already in the concept (for a reason) and unless you wanted to rework a lot of elements significantly there is no way around doing the asset like you did.

As a suggestion for future assets I would say: Pick your refences more carefully. Although this is executed very well, the assets is lacking silhouete interesting shapes, shapes on the surface mostly follow the lacking silhouete forms etc.. So the asset by it self will not so much impress as a FPS style vehicle. I think it is important when you show the asset arround that you make it perfectly clear what your referenece was. If you put it into the portfolio make sure the concept is very easily acccessable. Because if someone is missing to check out your concept, all the design flaws of the concept may be passed on to you and your ability to design.

To further improve on the assets at its current stage I only can say that you could try to bring in more color and a bit of contrast. From a visual standpoint the vehicle could benefit from some faction-stripes / logos or a well placed camo-pattern to give it some additonal color and interesting elements. You could make an extra presentation-sheet where you show a few different colorstyles that you find appealing for the car. Form a presentation standpoint I'd say don't hesitate to show the vehicle also in a rts perspective because it was designed to be viewed from that.

Tl;dr - version:

Great job, but pick your references more carefully. If you really want to do a nextgen looking vehicle, pick a concept that literaly screams: awesome design, well-designed and non trivial froms/shapes and/or shitloads of details.

some references that I would go for:
    concept1
    concept2
    concept3a ceoncept3b