Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Laser rifle

NBLM
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
NBLM polycounter lvl 13
Hello, I'm working on this rifle. It shoots lasers

Its in an early stage, but if anyone has some feedback feel free to post it.

There is my blockout:
ocut.jpg

I will then proceed with the highpoly. Again c&c much appreciated !

Replies

• NBLM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NBLM polycounter lvl 13
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Why does a laser rifle have a charging lever?
  • BigK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigK polycounter lvl 4
    I like where this is going overall but I have a few comments/questions.

I like the general silhouette. But with the scope you obviously have the eye piece but the other side tapers down to nothing, so where does the view in the eye piece come from? I think you need port on the forward facing side to make the logistics work.

There is a good amount of detail on the front half of the rifle but almost none in the back. Adding some more detail in the handle and stock would help balance it out a little.

The stock would be extremely uncomfortable for a human to shoulder. With how hard the edges of the butt are and without it being curved whatsoever it would be very uncomfortable.

Last thing, this is a laser rifle so the mechanics are obviously different than a normal gun, a clip would not hold bullets but might be something like a large battery. Right? Wrong? Well depending on its location the laser bolt needs to be able to travel down the barrel a good length to give it accuracy right now it seems that the actual barrel would be too short to get the type of range that you would want with a rifle.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this gun.
  • NBLM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NBLM polycounter lvl 13
    @JadeEyePanda
    good point.
    I added it to give that gun a more interesting silhouette to the otherwise very streamlined design.
    But I'm still not confident about that lever.

Maybe it looks better without it, what you guys think?
    cfsb.jpg

@BigK
    Thats not an conventional scope it should be a electronic scope with a camera somewhere build into the gun.
    The battery is that block at the bottom of the gun before the trigger guard. There is also no release button for the battery atm.

Regarding the handle and the stock I've forgotten to say that I'm currently working on it intensively.
    That razor sharp edge at the stock comes from the hole there, the mesh is open at this end.

I will post some screenshots of the updated stock later on.

Thx for your comments guys
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    It's looking like a nice, compact high-poly sculpt, at any rate.
  • NBLM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NBLM polycounter lvl 13
    @JadeEyePanda thanks :)

It's time for an update:
    I've finished the highpoly back in September, but forgotten to post it here.
    Maybe someone recognize it from the waywo thread.
    4nag.jpg

Over the last weeks I was able to work on the lowpoly and did a testbake today
    (just auto-smooth and flatten mapping).

It looks decent enough for me, so I will unwrap it properly and then start to texture it.
    lcu7.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    I enjoy the design on this, looks very compact and powerfull :)
    You seem to a few smoothing errors on your bake, but that might be because of the auto uv and bake.

Some of your edges are to hard in the highpoly and that can be seen with the aliasing on the normal map.

Blue: Smoothing errors.
    Red: Sharp edges.
    Green: Floaters don't go well with the underlaying surface, edges can be seen.
    jd47Sx8.jpg
  • NBLM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NBLM polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for your feedback Stromberg, I was aware of the bad floaters on the front and the smoothing errors but I didn't noticed those hard edges at all.

I will fix this asap and then start to unwrap. thx
  • Broadway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Broadway polycounter lvl 9
    I think the general shape of the charging lever was nice; you could always try turning it into some kind of doodad that would make sense for a laser gun.
  • NBLM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NBLM polycounter lvl 13
    I'm back from the dead and started to texture it (very wip).
    I'm not to sure about how it looks like atm, I might give the scope some paint. I think there is to much bare metal on that gun, right ?

eg3h.jpg
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah id add some chipped paint stripes or some emissive colors in the cracks. Overall looks bad ass