Home Technical Talk

(Mobile) Texture Sheet Padding

Tarsus
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Tarsus polycounter lvl 9
Hi,

I'm working on a little (isometric 3D) mobile game at the moment and tested around with textures. I wanted to make a bigger texture sheet for some smaller textures and encountered the good old seams.

My first thought was to insert padding, but it seems a little strange to me by this type of rectangular seamless environment textures.

I would like to know if this is the right way to solve the seams?

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot:

Seam_01.png

Texture without padding:

Texture_NoPad.png

Texture with padding:

Texture_Pad.png

Just to show the actual texture parts:

Texture_Actual.png

Replies

• MethodJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MethodJ polycounter lvl 4
    I remember running into this problem with dev on PS2 era games. I think the solution we used was to adjust the UVs of the object - bring the UVs close to the edge, but never actually touch it. So a U value of .95 or thereabouts.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Well yeah that's the simpliest and lighter way. Bleeding is always an issue unless you have no filtering and mipmaps.
    There's a way with shader instructions to wrap fragments of a texture on themselves but thats probably a bit costy for mobile.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    if ur using Maya, make sure to have pixel snap, and snap 1-2pixels inner the tile.

If you are using a 128x128 px per square, just paint ur tile using 124x124, and u will have 2 pixels of room for padding. You will unfortauntely have to plan yourself for those things. This way you will be able to have filtering. As Noors said, turn off mipmapping.
  • Tarsus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tarsus polycounter lvl 9
    These are some very useful tips, it's looking much better already!

I'm using Max by the way.

Thanks for the great help!