Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: WeAreInsanity

Hey there! This is my first thread on Polycount. It's actually been a while since I've been on an art forum, so I'm excited to get some good crit, improve myself, and do what I can to help out others.

I'm a university student in my junior year studying new media with a focus on 3D graphics, design, and animation. I'm fairly fluent with both 3DS Max and Maya, and I've used Blender in the past, but not for several years.

Here's the beginnings of my winter project. I've been approached by a prof to help create a game. We'll be using unity, and my role will be game design (shared by all members of the project) and asset creation. I've never really worked with low-res models before, so my December project is to create a high-poly character and turn it into a low-poly character afterwards. Or something like that.

Here's what I've got.

hrPtin7.jpg

1WH93gD.jpg

This was done in 3DS Max.

C&C always welcome.

Thanks! I'll be online tomorrow to start checking out some of the other galleries on the forum.

Replies

• WeAreInsanity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Next update.

pA2X8Hv.png

Fairly satisfied with the mesh flow around the shoulder. Arm shape needs work.
  • WeAreInsanity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the model a while ago, forgot to upload the wireframe of that. Here's a texture update though. Still some work to go, especially on boots, and hair isn't even started yet.

jm9gu9T.jpg

EDIT: Also, apologies for the low quality jpeg. The next update will be better quality.
  • WeAreInsanity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New update. The hair will be redone as soon as I can get ahold of my model for some pictures. These textures were pulled from awful cell phone photos. :P

However, the rest of it is mostly done. Spec, alpha, bump, and diffuse maps. No normals because I can't sculpt worth a damn.

TCSaqOb.png

And here's a wireframe:

FD1ijqn.png
  • WeAreInsanity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally feel comfortable uploading this next preview, so here we go. The assignment is to get a character modelled, textured, and rigged for my advanced animation class next semester, so here's where I'm at so far:

3mWhdp7.png

Modelling done, sitting at 18k tris/9k polys. Unwrapping done, but the only textures so far are vertical gradient maps. Going to at least add some transparency to the eyebrows to make them less bushy, and maybe some amb occ if I can be bothered, but I'm really liking the simple, cell-shaded style to be honest, so it's probably going to be light on texture maps.

It's not really game-oriented anyways, although it's pretty obvious it's inspired by (read: ripping off) Wind Waker.

Colors are still up in the air; those'll probably get finalized tomorrow.

C&C always welcome.