Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need some feedback for my portfolio please~~

Hi guys, I am new here. I would love some feed back on my portfolio site. I am still new to the game development process, but I would love to get better at it. Thank you!

My portfolio site: www.jianzhiying.com

Thank you again

Replies

• supremedalek925
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    supremedalek925 polycounter lvl 10
    You've got some cool stuff. One thing that I notice though is a lot of your images are in low lighting without a lot of contrast and look pretty desaturated, especially compared to the photo reference of the temple that you have posted which has very nice lighting on the main focus of the image.
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    I appreciate the cleanliness of your site. It isn't too bogged down with content. One thing I might suggest though is to avoid scrolling on the main portfolio page. You could have smaller icons for each project. This way you can see everything you've done right away. A video fly through of some of your scenes may help too. One other thing I noticed is that your "slumber land speeders" scene seems to lack cast shadows. I feel that shadows would really help the scene. Hope this helps.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Not a fan of the outlines. The're very bright and distract from the background, and the brokenness doesn't add anything except distraction. I was gonna say that all your images are too dark, but really you should just remove the alphatransparency. Instead, have something like a medium gray outline that becomes a wider lighter outline when hovering over the image.

The font choice could be more consistent and more interesting, too. Right now you have a boring sans-serif in several colors and a couple of display fonts. The standard Arial isn't too bad, but it's a lot of differentt types of Arial. Why is some text yellow, some white, some grey? Why is almost every piece of text a different size? Is there a hierarchy to the size? Why is the font on the frontpage images different than the one on the individual pages?

I suggest a single fancy font, in one color, used across all the images and the header for your logo/name. And one simple font that is two colors gray and the same color as your logo for links and stuff, which is the same size across all the text(something around 16px should suffice).

I do like the columned approach of your resum
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    In your Dragon Land piece, how did you create the two dragons on the tombstone?
  • Souldancer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »
    Not a fan of the outlines. The're very bright and distract from the background, and the brokenness doesn't add anything except distraction. I was gonna say that all your images are too dark, but really you should just remove the alphatransparency. Instead, have something like a medium gray outline that becomes a wider lighter outline when hovering over the image.

The font choice could be more consistent and more interesting, too. Right now you have a boring sans-serif in several colors and a couple of display fonts. The standard Arial isn't too bad, but it's a lot of differentt types of Arial. Why is some text yellow, some white, some grey? Why is almost every piece of text a different size? Is there a hierarchy to the size? Why is the font on the frontpage images different than the one on the individual pages?

I suggest a single fancy font, in one color, used across all the images and the header for your logo/name. And one simple font that is two colors gray and the same color as your logo for links and stuff, which is the same size across all the text(something around 16px should suffice).

I do like the columned approach of your resum
  • Souldancer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey wrote: »
    In your Dragon Land piece, how did you create the two dragons on the tombstone?

Custom Alpha and use ZBrush
  • Souldancer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I appreciate the cleanliness of your site. It isn't too bogged down with content. One thing I might suggest though is to avoid scrolling on the main portfolio page. You could have smaller icons for each project. This way you can see everything you've done right away. A video fly through of some of your scenes may help too. One other thing I noticed is that your "slumber land speeders" scene seems to lack cast shadows. I feel that shadows would really help the scene. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the feedback, I will change the image size on the main page
  • Souldancer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've got some cool stuff. One thing that I notice though is a lot of your images are in low lighting without a lot of contrast and look pretty desaturated, especially compared to the photo reference of the temple that you have posted which has very nice lighting on the main focus of the image.

I will try to play around with it, I found lighting in Unity is pretty hard, at least I haven't become good at it, but thank you for the feedback