Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] Lil' Whiskey Saloon

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
DanRobson polycounter lvl 6
Hi guys,

I've been working on this environment on-and-off for a good while now, so thought it was high time I shared it with you all to see what you think.

So yeah, its a saloon... but I wanted to avoid the classic wild west, hollywood style saloons and go for something a bit more authentic.

Here are a few shots of where I'm currently at, along with individual shots of some of the assets from the scene.

beauty1.jpg

register_3.jpg

stove_3.jpg

frame_1.jpg

clock_1.jpg

lamp_1.jpg

I realize I'm quite far along, but I still feel like the scene is lacking when it comes to the smaller details, and could do with just a general polish pass to make the scene look a bit more 'lived in' and take it to the next level, so if anyone has any suggestions or just feedback in general then it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Replies

• nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathdevlin polycounter lvl 12
    Currently the images are not displaying you tease.
  • DanRobson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oops, thanks for the heads up. I'll learn to use this computer one day.

Fixed now!
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 12
    Looks great so far, kind of reminds me of The Order. Nice presentation for the props too!

As far as crits go, I think the lights are too bright with too much lens flare. Perhaps having some variation in the intensity of the lights would be good too.

For some small details, how about bar stools around the bar, more bottles(and pitchers?), candles on the tables, and a coat rack? Some more dust particles would help too, but that may be pushing it too far into something like The Order and I'm not sure if you wanted to do that.
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathdevlin polycounter lvl 12
    No worries, there's always something to catch you out. Loving the scene, quality and overall presentation. The assets are beautifully made, good material definition and a consistent quality across the board.

I assume the engine is CE3 ?

In terms of missing details my initial impressions were the lack of bar stools beside the bar, even a couple would help.

Around the right of the door against the wall a bookcase could work or storage boxes and or a coat hanger.

Compositionaly the table on the right hand side would benefit from bottles or small props on it to lead the eye back into the scene.

The light getting cropped on the right leads my eye off the image consider moving this left a bit ( before the bottles )
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Looking awesome there Dan, keep it up! Props to you for achieving that with the current FreeSDK if that's the version you used! (you'll catch my drift) :)
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    hey, looking good so far. most of the assets are pretty solid too.

i think the biggest problem is the overall composition, the scene is lacking a focal point.

the lights are placed in a way that would be realistic, but doesn´t help your composition, you should use the lights to highlight certain parts.

for example the center of your scene, that should be your focus by default is pretty dark, while there are strong accents at the right and left border of the picture.
    i would turn down the green light rays to a subtle minimum. maby place the lights differently or turn the intensity of those to the corner of the scene a bit down.

the card table and the wall with the pictures would make a good focal point, because of the higher concentration of detail, but currently there are too many dark spots in between there.

i made a quick overpaint to demonstrate what im talking about
    overpaint.jpg

and maby tone down the lense flares a bit, or put some more effort into their shape, right now they look very bright and rather dull.
  • Avvi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avvi polycounter lvl 3
    Amazing detail, mood, texturing! Every prop feels like it's in a right place, I mean they all strengthen the autenticity you strive for.

The lighting could be better though. Lamps themselves are OK, but I imagine the light being more directed from the top. The first thing is that then your beautiful detail would be stronger. The seconds is that now it looks more like ambient, less than artificial indoor light.
    But the mix of cyan outside light and sepia/brown interior light seems very good to me!
  • genwu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu polycounter lvl 7
    Damn dude, this looks stunning. The level of detail in the props is incredible. As others mentioned though I think this could add even more badassery through a different look at your composition/focal point. As it is - my eyes get spread thin with so many pools of 'dark'. Ace work though man - keep it up!
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks gorgeous dude! Fantastic work. :D
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't worry too much about missing bar stools from a nineteenth century bar - it was pretty much standing-room-only at bars from the period.

The fallen lantern would be a problem - the oil would quickly run out, and the open flame would have ignited it. In only a few minutes, there wouldn't be much left of the bar. The lamps on the bar are also just asking for trouble - drunks + open flame + tinder-dry wood are just a bad combination.

The most common pictures on the walls would be of unclad ladies of questionable virtue.

The horizontal beams of light from the lamps are distracting. Please say no to lens flares! The only time you see a lens flare is through the lens of a camera. Privateer was a great game back in the day, but they have much to answer for popularizing that artifact in video games... sigh....

There really should be some gas lamps on the wall. Pre-electrical lighting was very inefficient and places tended to have many lights.

The amount of light really doesn't match with the lack of people; I'd expect a crowded bar with this much light, or one shut up with only light from the windows & doors.
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    The assets are amazing! I'm just not sure about how they're being put together. It feels like there are things missing.

I'd have to disagree with DWalker and say maybe the bar stools and other such things would be a good idea. The scene looks a little empty.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Nice work! But yeah, those lensflares are distracting, either make them a large glow around the lamp to simulate the thick atmosphere, or make them more lensdirt-y, or get rid of them, imho :)
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stools at the bar really are a fairly recent idea; even into the early twentieth century you would stand at the bar to drink.
    barneyflynnspellbowery1899.jpg
  • BJA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BJA
    Pretty awesome scene, great lighting and assets! the background is a bit too brownish for my taste. Maybe give the wallpaper a different color or make the red a bit stronger so it stands out better?
  • Ehsan Gamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehsan Gamer polycounter lvl 6
    Very nice job. Awesome assets. I love the details on assets.

Keep it up
  • romy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    romy polycounter lvl 12
    Excellent work Dan ! those assets are gorgeous ! Too bad we don't really see the them in the final scene though..
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome, looking mighty slick Dan! Would be nice to get more shots with some close ups of those detailed props you made. The till and wood burner are really nice. Feels like a missed opportunity to have them so small in the shot. Could be interesting having a shot next to the till with glasses, DOF , looking across the bar top etc... Could do a similar thing with the wood burner.

General feedback would be to copy and paste some of those props you already made around a little more. Think about telling a story on every table. More chairs, bottles, tables etc... Make it feel more dense could help it feel more used and how you would expect.

I don't currently get a sense of what happened or why its empty. I need to be told more of a story for it to really blow me away.
  • DanRobson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, wow lots of great feedback here, thanks a lot!

As most of you have mentioned I think the main aim should be on establishing a focal point in the scene as this is something its definitely lacking at the moment. Also, great suggestions all round for improving the dressing and busying up the environment. However, with that in mind @nathdevlin I agree with DWalker in that bar stools were generally not in use during this time period. I do think the bar looks a little empty however so Ill see if I can come up with a more creative solution to dealing with this.

@Goeddy - thanks for the paintover mate, I agree that toning down the light at the edges of the scene will help draw peoples eyes to where I want.

@romy @IchII3d Im hoping that once I manage to dress the scene a bit more comprehensively there'll be more opportunities to take shots from other angles and hopefully give each asset a bit more exposure. I agree that I could push the storytelling in the scene a little further as at the moment its all a bit unclear.

Also.. haha yeah I suppose the lens flares are a little bright at the moment, Ill look at either turning them down or doing something a bit more interesting (and less offensive) than the standard cryengine ones :)

Thanks again guys, all very helpful stuff.
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    octokitty polycounter lvl 14
    Could you show a wireframe of the cash register? I'm actually making one very similar right now and would love a glimpse into your process. Just a wireframe would be good enough. If you have time, any sort of explanation on how you make your props would be really helpful. I've just never made realistic, high res props before! Thanks :)
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome stuff!
  • DanRobson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @octokitty: Heres a quick screengrab from the max viewport. Theres nothing fancy about it to be honest. In this case I probably threw more polys at it than I usually would for an asset this size, because it was always intended to be used as a portfolio shot.

I think one of the main things that makes or breaks an asset like this is whether you have a decent highpoly and a clean bake.

register_wireframe.jpg

As for workflow, I created the highpoly in max - just poly modeling really and a lot of splines for the smaller fancy details. I then use xnormal to bake out my normal, height, ao and a cavity map to use as a base for my textures. Again I probably wouldn't usually have bothered with a height map/parralax occlusion for an asset this small but in this instance I though it would be worthwhile, even if it is quite subtle.

Hope that helps? :)
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    octokitty polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks! That is helpful. It's funny, I'm totally lost on making an asset like what you've done, although I have done plenty of low poly and high poly stuff... just nothing realistic with a lot of detail. I think what's throwing me off is the big shapes mixed with the smaller details, and making it all flow in the highpoly. But this wireframe and your workflow explanation does help! :)
  • DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    Great work! I love the material definition :)
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow this is great! Excellent work!
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    serriffe polycounter lvl 9
    awesome work! I'll keep tabs on this one :)
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Inspiring work, the attention to detail is amazing. I'll definitely be watching this
  • DanRobson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update:
    beauty2.jpg

Things Ive updated:
    • Taken a look at the lighting based on the feedback Ive received. Still not 100% sold on this so I imagine it'll probably change again before Im done.
    • Made a few variants of the oil lamp. A dimmer version and one which is switched off. Still haven't touched the ceiling lights though (sorry about the lens flares! :) )
    • Created a quick beer-crate prop to help pad the scene out a little.

Im going to be away from my PC over Christmas so its unlikely I'll be able to update this over the next couple of weeks. If Im lucky I might have chance to knock together a prop or two on my laptop...

Peace! (and Merry Christmas :) )
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Looks awesome man! We just posted an article. :)

http://www.crydev.net/newspage.php?news=119164

And Merry Christmas to you too. x-mas_smilie.png
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaw dropping :) awesome quality and lots of great details!
  • gutty333
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy wow, this is super amazing. Will be keeping an eye as progress continues.
  • chrisavigni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisavigni polycounter lvl 12
    Loved your props, great modelling! Congratz, your scene looks amazing!
  • DanRobson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys!

Thought Id post the progress I've made on this scene over the past few weeks.
    There's a few new assets in there including the coat stand in the foreground (also hidden behind the bar!), the beer crates scattered around and some book variants. Also been tweaking the lighting as I go along. I'm relatively happy with how its looking at the moment.

As a few people suggested I've taken a few other shots of the scene from different angles to try and showcase some of the different assets.

I think I've spent enough time on this now and I've been chomping at the bit to move onto something new so I'm calling it finished. Thanks again for all your comments and great feedback!

28_a.jpg

28_b.jpg

28_c.jpg

28_d.jpg
  • Lord Waffles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Waffles polycounter lvl 10
    Looks fantastic mate,

very well done!
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Looks pretty finished to me. I really love the lighting!
  • kimmokaunela
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kimmokaunela ngon master
    This looks very good! Nice textures.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    This looks pretty awesome! :)
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    This is looking great. :)

Only small thing, in the last shot, the furnace/heating thing, the color of the glow + the lens flare is a bit odd.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    good job mate, you can be proud of this one
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    totally lovely
  • IvanMartinez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IvanMartinez polycounter lvl 7
    Amazing work Dan!!!. Congrats
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    fatnastic work! looks amazing
  • LevelArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you post a little about your work flow and techniques? if is not to much to ask. Great work BTW.

-LA
  • veetya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like late shots. can you write a few words about texturing walls, floor and ceiling? did you use some tricks, or its just casual workflow?
  • Phaeton1911
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phaeton1911 polycounter lvl 4
    oh shit thats unreal (ha!)

love the stove and the register, perfect piece all round