Problem: Maya : Uv: Renaming Uv Set: Uvs disappear

Rendered7Useless
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Rendered7Useless polycounter lvl 8
Program: Maya 2014

Subfeature: UV editor

issue:

- while renaming a the current uvset the current uvs disappear.
- If an undo is attempted the uvs remain gone.

Current work around:

- save
- copy uvs into new uvset
- rename
- delete old uvset

This problem isn't persistent. It seems to be random, but if someone could shed some light on this issue it would be great. It seems like this type of thing shouldn't need a work around.

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    What version of Maya, Where do you change the uvset name, any particular type of projection etc...

Doesn't delete the UVs for me.
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deadly Nightshade polycounter lvl 10
    Instead of going via the UV Set Editor, call the MEL-script directly:
    performCopyCurrentUVSet "1" {"0", "ls -sl", "0"} "";

Do you get the same issue then?

I've had these copying problems before, but can't recall what I did to get rid of it (it probably went away when I incorporated UV set -functionality into Nightshade UV Editor)
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Is your mesh skinned?
  • Rendered7Useless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rendered7Useless polycounter lvl 8
    m4dcow:

The version is Maya 2014 Service Pack 2. Theres no projection, its already been unwrapped.

Right now i'm combing meshes into one. One of the purposes for this is to optimize lightmaps. In the separate meshes sometimes the lightmaps have been named differently for whatever reason i.e. (lightmap, LightMapUV). So if you want to combine the UV's they need to have the same name or else you get two different uv maps. (not sure if words are making this clear, i'll get some images or a video if not.)

Deadly Nightshade:

I'll test that out. Its on a random basis so I can't tell you right now. I'll save a file and upload it next time i get a mesh that does it, maybe its some weird settings i ticked on not knowing. I'll also check out your UV editor. It's a such a random thing.

JohnnyRaptor:

Its just a mesh, no skin.
  • g2mXagent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    g2mXagent polycounter lvl 4
    Program: Maya 2014

Subfeature: UV editor

issue:

- while renaming a the current uvset the current uvs disappear.
    - If an undo is attempted the uvs remain gone.

Current work around:

- save
    - copy uvs into new uvset
    - rename
    - delete old uvset

This problem isn't persistent. It seems to be random, but if someone could shed some light on this issue it would be great. It seems like this type of thing shouldn't need a work around.
    same problem in Maya 2017, the solution is "Edit -> Delete by Type -> History", then rename the UV Set.