Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

werewolf WIP

this guy has taken me a god dam long time and still isn't finished :(

going to take a break and do something else for a while now. i plan to finishes him before the end of the year.

fhp7.jpg

Replies

• loki1991
    why is no one commenting?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Do you have a sculpting program?
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    There's not too much to comment on to be honest. You just gave us a screenshot of what looks like half of a character lol.

Anyway, I'm no character artist but there are a few problems that stand out immediately. For starters, there is very minimal muscle definition. Werewolves are supposed to be strong, fierce, vicious creatures that should be feared, part of that is because they are usually have huge muscles with sharp teeth and claws.

Additionally, the character's arms look way too much like a box. Going back to the idea of muscle definition, that is definitely one of the biggest issues with the character.

The face of the character needs work as well, assuming this is only half a character that you would use symmetry on, then many parts of the character would look incredibly strange (especially the head and legs.)

Symmetry can be great to use on characters, but I think it's important to make both halves of a character different in some way, especially for monsters. One of the big reasons I think we as humans fear monsters is because they are usually anatomically strange. Insects for example, have many legs, many eyes, etc. A werewolf shares many similarities to humans in terms of base silhouette, but you really need to highlight the things that would make it look like a werewolf (the muscles, the claws, the fur, etc.)

There are other things that stand out such as the feet and the chest muscles, but it goes make to the overall problems being the fact that the werewolf looks too blocky and there is little muscle definition.

As a final critique, I would suggest working on your renders a bit. If you can't afford (or don't want) a tool like Marmoset Toolbag, you could look into other things like the Xoliul Shader. I mean, even a skylight would make it look better.

Don't take any of this as an insult, it takes a lot of work to make great characters and nobody is naturally good at it. Practice makes perfect, and good luck with the changes!

Check out this thread of somebody else's werewolf. It's a different style than yours but it is really well done imo. http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109332
  • loki1991
    yeah maybe i should of waited till i finished the claws on the hands and the teeth so i could do a proper symitry and final adjustments.

anyway thanks for the critic. i will post more later when i get around to finishing it. also with the fur i plan to use the maya fur tool for some wicked looking fur when i animate him :D