Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need help with character creation

Aneroit
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Aneroit polycounter lvl 9
Hello! I'm new here and I'm a little bit shy :)
I'm working on character in ZBrush, but I can't get any satisfactory results. I have only a half year experience, so You know guys :shifty:
Two weeks ago I have invested in a Intuos 5 (my very first tablet) but I still can't improve my work.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Replies

• AlexKola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexKola polycounter lvl 9
    Hello, I think you are making a good start. I can see that you are challenging yourself with this piece that has several interesting forms.

The overall shape of the body is working proportionally I think. The long finger spikes might cause someone to say the arms are feeling long but It looks to me that you've put some thought into the length of the limbs.

I think that since his proportions are working well enough that going forward I would suggest focussing on refining the forms of individual parts, like boots, gloves etc. Try to avoid surface detail until a little more form work has been done. for example, the scale and overall shape of the feet look right, but the curvature of the arch could be defined more accurately, the armor covering the instep needs to be designed in a way that feels it was manufactured by hand. The general feel of them is too soft.

Refining the shapes is going to come down to study. Firstly, you could study from reality, like finding an image of a real boot that has the overall shape you are looking for. The toe spike is not necessary in the reference I would say since it's shape is purely a design element and is arbitrary because it does nothing in terms of convincing the viewer that what you're looking at really is a boot. I'm not saying scrap the spike it or anything just find an image that reinforces the anatomy inside the boot and resembles the broad shape of the boot you've designed.

An artist also needs to study other artists, especially when you feel like you're hitting a wall. Look at your favorite masters on cghub and examine the work that parallels the direction of your own. In the boot example, just check out some awesome knight characters boots and try to match a models quality that makes sense in terms of overall form but without copying the specific design.

Hope that I made sense.

On a side note I'll link this video that breaks down really well how to present your character on a page. Keep value in mind here. Use contrast in hue, saturation and value to draw the viewers eye to the focal point of your image. You can also use contrast in a variety of other ways to direct your compositions but that's another long convo.

Best of luck, and again a solid start.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6BlTEytocc"]Digital painting techniques, value planning (BST ep1) - YouTube[/ame]
  • Aneroit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Alex! Thanks alot for motivation and good clues! To be honest I did not thought that You will answer ^^ I'm You know... Just a gray man among masters :D

Thank You again! I hope I will use Your clues wise!
  • Aneroit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still have problems with clothing

Newest progress (No progres xD)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Still practising, but clothing is the hardest for me... Do anyone have some clues?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Your first step should be throwing up some images with a neutral (50% grey) background. Models are hard to read on black the best of times, and that cloak is disappearing entirely into your background colour.
  • Aneroit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Of course! Forgive me!

I will add some, when I come back from school ;)
  • Aneroit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Posing suck's but folds are not that bad:

image.jpg
  • Aneroit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello guys!
    I've been working on armor in Zbrush. Here my question:
    1. Can You advice me something about detaling it? I'm carrently using QuicSketch to paint details. Maby You know something that could help?
    2. Do You have any ideas how to fill gaps marked on red?

Character_Strip.jpg