2632291223c21db50c674e67023240d3.jpg
4e648d9e442af1fec5a167f72f69366d.jpg
316add40cca38836eea42cd654062455.jpg

7c93e08776bdbd3d667c30fe683e834d.jpg
cacab7ba82d6f150087a983c3cbb08f6.jpg

9c352e3f0d65879e182a58bb0cefb4c1.png
dbe0121f2dfc1e6422d79c1541b30a5d.jpg
df1826731af42a26904248247464951f.jpg

I Have More so Check out the next Wave as well....

Replies

• MRRRRRR_DLOSO
  • 3dcaspar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dcaspar polycounter lvl 10
    Nice stuff for a good start..
    But one there is one thing which instantly strikes into my eyes:
    your normals are wwaaaaaayy to noisy! Especially the RPG and Saloon.

I'd recommend you to turn this down dramatically and do all these stuff by the highpoly.
    Maybe add some more detailed normals (photo sourced) later on, but with way less strength :)

Next thing is: I think you should work on your material definiton..

But overall good start :)
  • MRRRRRR_DLOSO
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    You really should work on your texturing and spec maps. A lot of your stuff looks like concrete. There are a lot of wasted polys on some of these such as the handle of the rocket launcher or the vase (which i would remove) also for something such as a building you'd want as little unique parts on it as possible, yours is all unique, if they did that for every building in a game the texture usage would be crazy. I feel like overall you are getting ahead of yourself and making stuff without a solid technical understanding.

As for your presentation I would work on that as well, there are numerous examples of presentation on polycount, I'd look around for a style you like. Remember less is more.

I would recommend this video for you as well. https://www.3dmotive.com/f101201

The third lesson goes over a lot of mistakes you could avoid and things you could learn from as far as texturing.

Sorry if it sounds harsh but I am trying to help.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    0 - You really need to work on quality, instead of quantity.

Your meshes are very messy with a bunch of loops in places where they don't do much (or literally nothing, like the ferrari's front fender), while missing very important loops in other places such as the now very blocky Akira bike wheels. Terminating and combining loops is a very basic method.
    rings_sides.png

You need to learn how many sides you put on a cylinder. You shouldn't make every cylinder the same, larger cylinders ger more sides. A really bad example is the grenade launcher where the largest cylinder only has 12 sides making it too blocky even at this resolution, yet it costs a whopping 5000 triangles.
    size_sides.png

Your texture maps aren't great either. There's the visual aspect like the others mentioned; your materials don't look like what they should be and all your specular maps seem to be a quick filter job without understanding what color a certain thing needs to be. You're the artist and you should know what the endresult needs to be, the program just allows you to take some shortcuts here and there. It's not a make-art-button (thank god, because we'd all be out of a job if it were that easy).

And they're spaced out inefficently and messy. They're made up of dozens of tiny islands which will give lots of seams, and you've got a lot of wasted space because you're leaving holes. It looks like you merely used Max's automatic functions like box map and automatic island packing. Again, you're the artist, the program is only a tool. Merge islands into larger ones, balance stretching and seams, play tetris with the islands. Plus you're not even using the space properly; you've got obviously tiling details on the roof etc of the saloon, the vase/statue and the clock.
  • MRRRRRR_DLOSO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @AlexCatMasterSupreme - Thanks for the feedback. I am always willing to improve my texturing. I find creating metal is the hardest part. Sometimes is comes off as realistic (for example: the gas pump nozzle, shield on the front of gas tank, and gas filter on the side of gas tank) or sometime is turns out concretely. I do understand geometry and supporting edges. Some of the edges that I added are used to get the overall shape or silhouette that is going to be use to bake my final normal map. I either make a copy of the completed low model then add supporting edges and bake normal map or if I'm on a time frame, I just use the low model, add supporting edges then generate final normal map and delete the extra supporting edge loops afterwards. As for the presentation..explain more because I show my geometry,line work, and I render them in dynamic views to show how lighting affects the shader maps.

@Snader - Although your criticism and feedback is welcomed and greatly appreciated, There is a fine line between being arrogant and condescending when addressing someone.Don't think that because I use auto unwrap or generated specular maps sometimes that I am a lazy artist. I approach each model with a different method to find out which gives the best result. I did revise the Ferrari Enzo; Thats was an older render but I cleaned Up its Edges, I apologize.See New post below...I don't just place edge loops any place. I place them to maintain form of the silhouette. I know how to terminate loops but I do appreciate the charts.2qledme.jpg

As for using the crazybump specular map generator for some of the objects such as the (grandfather clock, RPG Launcher,and Statute); We'll I do use mari 2 and mubox. I am familiar with creating layered specular maps. NOT all of my specular maps are filter generated and I don't know how you came to that conclusion. For example the grenade has grunge and dust buildup on it so those parts will not receive a reflection so it would be matted. The metal chip and scratches are lighter than metal that is not weathered or haven't recieved truma.As for the tileable textures, I painted those tileable textures. Yes I could have changed the variations to break up the texture but I considered it to be a static objects.

@Snader - Stop over exaggerating, I only used the 3ds Max automatic unwrap once on the Ferrari Enzo. You can even tell that I stitched the vertices or islands on all the others, but I do understand what you're saying that the space could be used more efficiently to minimize seams and stretching. Do just cherry pick one model and Saying I am doing this with all the models. I only use the automatic unwrap because those were sections that were under the car and would be seen by the player.

As the grenade launcher the reason it is 5,320 because of the top attachment part with the grooves. Without the grooves it's poly count is 4,738 polys which is a different of 582 polys.The reason why I went with the 12 sides opposed to the 16 or 18 was only to lower polycount and bake down the hires mesh to smooth the edges. But, I understand..give the bigger cylinder more side and less sides for the small ones that can't be seen from a distant or in constant eye view.2zr2wht.jpg

@3dcaspar - thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I will turn down the noise a lot. I have been having problem with 3ds max not showing my normals correctly until I crank the number up but in unity and UDK my normals a correct.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Just popping in here to agree for more people to do this :) a voting poll is so much faster and "private". :)

Then if people want they can post a reply and choose whether or not to give you some more guidance/guidelines.

You sir have just changed the internets!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Look at how racer presents his models, nicely. http://www.racer445.com/mp7.html
    Yours look dated.

Snader isn't being arrogant, he's being right, you are wasting an insane amount of polys on that model.

Overall I'd have to agree that a lot of the things you've done can come off as lazy, like your tiling on the roof, on a UNIQUE roof, if it's unique you have no excuse. It should be like 4-5 tiling textures anyways not a unique unwrap. Furthermore how you labeled your poll pretty much insinuates that you think you are getting really good. I have no problem with you wanting to learn but you are not listening to what all people are telling you, he made a lot of great points.

Look at other peoples wireframes, then look at yours, you even have straight up Ngons in your wireframes.

I know you probably think I'm a dick but you need to listen to people, he's taking time of his day and calling it like he sees it, at least he's being honest.
  • 3dcaspar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dcaspar polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with AlexCatMasterSupreme..
    Snader definitely didn't sound arrogant in any form, he just pointed out some very important points you're doing wrong.

And to be honest, the uv-layout of nearly every model looks very very unefficient and like some sort of auto unwrap. You're wasting so much uvspace on your maps, which you have to avoid!

For the Grenadelauncher:
    You do not just have the problem with giving it the wrong amount of edges on individual parts, but it seems that you still have a lot of supporting edges on it (which are basically only needed for a highpoly). You could spare a LOT of polys on that :)

As Snader said: better focuse on just on model and make this one really good, study things on it and develop it, so it becames a good folio-piece (instead of doing loads of assets which aren't that good).

Go on, listen to the critique, don't take it personal and you will develop! ;)

(I know what I'm talking about, since my first post here and some harsh critique, I listened to it and could develop my skills further with the great help you get here)
  • MRRRRRR_DLOSO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @3dcaspar & AlexCatMasterSupreme; Thank you again for the feedback. I wasn't trying to come off as overly confident with my artwork. I am a member of several forums and sometimes you have to get creative with the headlines or make them stand just to get someone to view or respond to a post. I must say that I am happy for the quick responses. I got the poll idea from a friend and he said is a good way to gauge if you're making progress so I just copied what he put.

I wasn't saying @Snader was wrong but when you keeping saying "YOU Need To" in every other sentence or You should know the correct cylinder sides to use. That is assuming someone has already told me and I am not applying it. To be honest that is first time I have heard of it but the logic made sense to me. Most of my learning after college is from cg tuts, digital tutors, and some gnonome stuff that I have been to get my hands on. Each artist had different styles so I am still finding out what work for me. So It make people feel like he is accusing them of hiding something or trying to pull the wool over someone's eyes. It could have been said in a better way. It was borderline condescending/arrogant as if I need to put this kid in his place. I agree with being harsh if you know the person but at least show some common courtesy. For example: "I notice you models have some ngons. I would recommend using this charts to see how to effectively terminate edges/vertices because your model has too many visible ngons" then leave it at that.There is no need to insult someone's work without knowing their skill level or education background. I understand people are busy but its your choice to respond to a post. Everyone that has commented and clicked on my poll, I have look at some of their artwork taken a few notes on how they use their models, their UVs maps, and I study how they are creating their material desired effects. I am not just watching responses to my thread.

@AlexCatMasterSupreme thanks for the link to Racer's Artwork. He has very nice hard surface modeling and renders. I will implement some of his technique on how he present models. I have been receiving feedback for old instructors that have work on dated titles so I see their techniques are showing it age now. You're not a Dick,man neither is Snader. I understand where both of you are coming from but Its not what you say, it how you say it. No need to insult someone work. Just say I would highly recommend doing this way because it is the correct way.
  • gunawanzx