Home Technical Talk

How can I achieve this textured super low poly look in Maya?

ckj
ckj
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ckj polycounter lvl 4
I'm trying to achieve this effect in Maya:

geoadaylunar-682x1024.png

I'm able to model the triangulated, hard-edged, subjects but I'm having trouble with the shaders and lighting.

A few specific questions:

How can I achieve the hard edged shadows without an overly intense light?

Is there a way to achieve this textured paper look without resorting to photoshop?

Are there any general tips you might have for someone who's exploring this style?

Replies

• Deadly Nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deadly Nightshade polycounter lvl 10
    Anti-aliasing on shadows (hard or blurred edges) are controlled by the renderer and/or lighting setup. Are you trying to recreate this in Maya or are you using some real-time engine? We need more info in order to help you out with that.

As for the paper pattern: To me it appears to be uniform across the entire picture, suggesting that this is actually a post-effect and not something in the material. (If it was in the diffuse, or on a detail map, we would see perspective distortion).
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    iam not sure - but you want to look into the cell and toon shading in maya/mental ray.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF6pPQnzSCE"]Adding textures to toon shaders in Maya - YouTube[/ame]
    Maybe that helps. There also some camera filter on your image..
    But yes - as deadly said - we need some more infomations.
  • ckj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ckj polycounter lvl 4
    Are you trying to recreate this in Maya or are you using some real-time engine? We need more info in order to help you out with that..

I'm working on a study of the style in Maya using this character and a similar landscape as found in the above photo: moonion.png. Eventually I want to explore this style in UDK, but I'm not really there yet.
    As for the paper pattern: To me it appears to be uniform across the entire picture, suggesting that this is actually a post-effect and not something in the material. (If it was in the diffuse, or on a detail map, we would see perspective distortion)

Right. I guess post works for now. I attempted a high res texture in the diffuse and it was lacking sharpness. Any other ideas? Perhaps something with the camera?
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    You can use planar projection mapping from inside maya if you want to get something that look similar to that image. just applying it after in PS would be easier though. For the texture overlay that is.