Home Technical Talk

Wacom tablet for Zbrush???

Hey guys, here is a question : for my Zbrush and Photoshop work should a buy a WACOM Bamboo FUN Pen&Touch Small or Wacom Intuos Pen & Touch Small, Silver/Black ? There's not a big price difference between them.

Replies

• arcitecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arcitecht polycounter lvl 6
    IMO the bamboos are a waste of money, not as well-built as the Intuos, and really damn tiny, could not get any use out of it at all. I use an intuos3 large and its indestructible and well sized. A Medium would probably be about perfect for working on a normal-sized monitor too.

Anyway, if budget is a big concern I'd look around at alternatives like Monoprice to get something large enough to not be horribly frustrating to use. Wacoms are very nice but I just don't see the value at the lower end of their line. Just my opinion, YMMV.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Wacom seems to have renamed all of their pressure sensitive tablets to Intous and as far as I can tell "Intous Pen and Touch" and the "Bamboo Fun Pen and Touch" are basically the same tablet with different cosmetics
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    I second Intous 3 mines been going strong for a few years now, surprisingly coffee proof too!
    Only reason why I might contemplate upgrading in the future, is A) more pressure sensitivity and i'm right handed so the buttons under my pen hand seldom get used, so i might opt for one with more buttons on the left.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Like AtticusMars said, the two you've mentioned are the same thing. They just got rebranded.

In older generations I've used the Graphire, Bamboo, and Intuos. They all work fine.
    If you're budget conscious get a Bamboo. You'll lose out on the tilt sensitivity of the intuos (now intuos pro), but its just fine for pressure and erasure.

If you're traveling with it the bamboo can be a good idea considering the replacement cost if its broken or lost. Not that I've had that happen even stuffing the old models without a detachable usb cable into a backpack daily.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Bamboo is good enough for its price, it's pretty buggy though.
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Bamboo's work, but the small form factor is a lot more limiting than you think. The other character artist at my job used a tiny Graphire 2 for the longest time (the work area was smaller than a post card!) and as soon as he got a 16 inch intuos there was a clear increase in the fidelity and quality of his sculpting and texture work.
    If you are really really pressed for money go for bamboo. But I strongly recommend you invest in an intuos. Those things are durable as hell. I had mine for 5 years and the only reason it broke was because the cable caught in a door and i literally yanked it out. The new black ones have replacable USB cables so they ought to last for a long long time. I think 90% of failed units came frome a frayed or busted usb cable.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Fingus wrote: »
    I had mine for 5 years and the only reason it broke was because the cable caught in a door and i literally yanked it out. The new black ones have replacable USB cables so they ought to last for a long long time. I think 90% of failed units came frome a frayed or busted usb cable.

I am not very good with custom hardware jobs but couldn't you have repaired yours if only the cord was damaged or asked a handy friend?
    Just wondering if you threw It out just because of that or if you still have it or did repair it?

I had both lower end products of Wacom/bamboo and it is small but I got used to it and the price is fine by me, though it is getting to show its age of about 3 years now, the other(not bamboo) lasted 5+ or so. I haven't checked the price of Intuos but I wouldn't mind giving it a shot, I had fun on a cintiq once.:poly136:

Also did someone make a nibless pen yet, cause those things do damage to the surface after a while and no I don't press hard, even with pencils/pens/markers.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    IMO the bamboos are a waste of money, not as well-built as the Intuos, and really damn tiny, could not get any use out of it at all. I use an intuos3 large and its indestructible and well sized. A Medium would probably be about perfect for working on a normal-sized monitor too.

Anyway, if budget is a big concern I'd look around at alternatives like Monoprice to get something large enough to not be horribly frustrating to use. Wacoms are very nice but I just don't see the value at the lower end of their line. Just my opinion, YMMV.

sorry.. but imho the bamboo was quite good, i dont know how the ones are, that are now on the market, but i had an older one
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSuyCz3acKDVXdh1s2kRwyRnOe7xIhMKD5R64kKM7d6OimJOmf4SD-akLuS
    and this one was really well made
    you dont have that much pressure points and no tilt function,
    also not as many buttons and no wheel, but for texture work and sculpting, this is enough to work with

size arguement doesnt really matter, some people prefer smaler tablets and some people prefer bigger ones.
    you can also get the bamboo and the intuos in different sizes

the only thing i found annoying with my bamboo was then pen.
    durable but no rubber grip and not as comfortable as the intuos pen
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    D4V1DC wrote: »
    I am not very good with custom hardware jobs but couldn't you have repaired yours if only the cord was damaged or asked a handy friend?
    Just wondering if you threw It out just because of that or if you still have it or did repair it?
    Yes you can repair it if you're willing to do some soldering, you can also keep your drawing surface in good condition by taping a piece of paper over it (I've never done this but I'm told vellum is really nice for this) or you can just replace the cover sheet (or use no sheet?)
  • Zimlorog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zimlorog polycounter lvl 7
    I would honestly stay away from Wacom. They look very nice, indeed, but from my experience with a Huion H610, they're not the best out there. Check out this review from Ray Frenden.

I had been using an Intuos 4 for a few years now, and after reading his reviews, I decided to get an H610. The difference in pen fidelity was immediate. Also, for $60, how could I go wrong? Cheaper than even a Baomboo, with the same or better specs than an Intuos.

But as with all things, read the reviews from Ray, and on Amazon.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I just figured something out and since I never even think about it till my nibs start dieing out till tonight... But you know what screw it cause it works and I never have to change my nibs again.

Thank god and sorry Wacom but you have got to see this one coming it actually has been long awaited by some but most definitely me, since I never found a solution I created one for myself.

The Poor mans guide on:
    How do you make a nib-less tablet pen.

The Non-Nibble: :) (I call It)

Your going to need the pointy top Wacom pen, not the newer ball one.
    I don't know what those are like so I can't help you.

1. Either use your only pen (at your own risk) or an old one you have laying around.

2. Get Q-tip, Elmer's glue out (or some very strong and I mean strong glue/cement even)
    (I am even thinking of trying to nail the Q-tip to the nib so it doesn't move when your going crazy hard on It or at an angle.) (I ended up using Hydrocal ! )

3. Cut the Q-Tip about 5% from the top of the Q-Tip (we want the white stuff only)

4. Glue the nib to the Q-Tip top (obviously the plastic end with cotton around It, not the other way around.)

Enjoy endless scribbling with the non-nibble nib h4ck from yours truly -me

done... (Forever)

I am bootlegging Q-Tips $10 dollars a tip get them while they are HOT!

I added a clay to the inside of mine before gluing because my nib was worn down and badly scratching my surface.

You have no idea how happy I am right now. :) koolaid happy.

It is easily undo-able with little to no damage at all (depending on your method of solidifying the Q-tip top to the nib.) and It is a cheap ass solution and an easy inexpensive fix that even a cave man can do on top of that...

what more could you want? no It doesn't make a sandwich.

You know what is monumentally trippy it looks JUST LIKE THE NEW PENS!!!
    Stewie: (laughs) Oh, you know, I'm thinking of the three of you. I'm-I'm thinking this guy...