Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: NecronPariah

This here topic be the sketchbook of: George Sutherland Howard. Disturb not these pages, for an ancient curse dwells within them.
Just kidding. Come on it, feel free to critique/comment on anything you want. I'm a freshman at Champlain College, studying Game Art and Animation, hoping to focus more on concept art later, but I'm enjoying 3-D modelling at the moment, as well. Been drawing since before I could walk, so any help I could get to improve my drawings would be really, really appreciated.

Replies

• NecronPariah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I took a while to upload stuff - the Polycount website was being derpy on me. Here are some renders of an alligator snapping turtle I did for my first ever 3D modelling project.
    List of things I already know to fix because of in-class critiques:
    - Needs more wrinkles (a lot more)
    - Legs aren't long enough
    - Eyes are too low on the head
    - Lines on the beak look like they have just been raised from a flat plane, not actually part of the beak itself

Info on the work:
    Polycount: 5,979,136
    Program: ZBrush
    The idea of the assignment was not to have a low polycount, but rather to understand primary, secondary, and tertiary forms. I did add secondary forms, but they got covered by the tertiary - something I'll have to watch out for in future Zbrush projects.

So yeah. Pictures: turtlerender1_zpsa3323aed.jpg

turtlerenderbeakcloseup_zps4dd46ff0.jpg
  • NecronPariah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silhouette Concept for a character I've had in my head since summer 2009
    Done in Photoshop CS6.

alicesilhouette_zpsb0a451f7.jpg
  • NecronPariah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting portrait for the silhouette character above:
    alice___quick_portrait_by_necr0npariah-d5u5lgc_zps36fb9232.jpg
  • NecronPariah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked with some references from the internet to make this simple dinosaur-inspired dragon sketch, and then my professor helped me with the realism (make eyes face forwards and emphasize a different muscle mass due to the dragon being a predator).
    Things to work on for next version:
    - Make horns less like a simple aesthetic decision and more like they are functional (make them a crest, change their position so that they can actually be used as weapons, etc.)
    - decide body type (Theropod with wings? Crawl on ground, like bat? Raptor? I know I'm going to try to steer away from the 4 legs + 2 wings if I can at all help it.dragonsideview_zpsb07c6991.jpg)
  • NecronPariah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another silhouette practice - same character as last time, but with swords.AliceSilhouette3_zpsa682b5f9.jpg
  • NecronPariah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dragon in Charcoal
    IMG_0097_zps36bac0a7.jpg
  • NecronPariah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An insane changeling in his preferred form (my Dungeons and Dragons character, if you must know:
    mal_vasilee____insane__changeling_assassindigital_zpsf031280b.jpg
  • NecronPariah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't posted in a while, so I have a backlog of stuff.
    Here's some work in pen and ink I did for my Changeling character after receiving critique from my professor on the earlier digital painting.

Things I tried to keep in mind to make better:
    - Making the other facial muscles work better with the wide grin, particularly around the nose and eyes
    - Drawing the mouth and teeth as a curve, not a flat plane
    - Drawing the teeth as actual, functional teeth.

sIZHTok.jpg
  • NecronPariah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've started to do more work in 3D this semester, and the first work I did in that time was this bust of a friend's dwarf character in our D&D group.

Without beard:
    XtCwQKc.png

With beard:
    4fAteuU.png
  • NecronPariah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just finished my 3D Art final project - you can view the video here!

Grading for the project that applies to the final clip:
    - Animation is created at 30 frames per second and is at least 15 seconds (450 frames) long. Outstanding 9-10 points, Very Good 8 points, Acceptable 7.5 points, Poor 1-7 points
    - Used at least two camera angles or an animated camera and the camera is carefully framed in order to enhance the scene and help tell the story. Outstanding 13.5-15 points, Very Good 12-13 points, Acceptable 11 points, Poor 1-10 points
    - Lighting in the scene enhances the overall look and mood of the scene. Shadows make sense in relation to the visible light sources in the scene. Outstanding 13.5-15 points, Very Good 12-13 points, Acceptable 11 points, Poor 1-10 points
    - Static meshes have clean geometry with only the amount of polygons needed to define the shape. Outstanding 22.5-25 points, Very Good 20-22 points, Acceptable 18.25-19 points, Poor 1-18 points
    - Skin weights are set for proper mesh deformation (mesh bends smoothly). Outstanding 9-10 points, Very Good 8 points, Acceptable 7.5 points, Poor 1-7 points
    - Artistic quality of the diffuse (color), specular and normal maps. Outstanding 54-60 points, Very Good 48-53 points, Acceptable 44 47 points, Poor 1-43 points
    - The animation properly utilizes the 12 principles of animation (timing, exaggeration, anticipation, follow-through, etc.) Outstanding 18-20 points, Very Good 16-17 points, Acceptable 14.5-15 points, Poor 1-14 points
    - The animation is dynamic, interesting and easily understood, and there is a logical amount of action for the length of the animation. Outstanding 13.5-15 points, Very Good 12-13 points, Acceptable 11 points, Poor 1-10 points

Some background on my experience:
    - This was animated and rendered in Maya 2014
    - It was the second time I have done a project with 3D animation.
    - This was my second semester working in Maya.