Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tacticool Unreal Tournament Weapons

samifira
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
samifira polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys,

New thread to show off and get advice on a series of weapons I'm doing. As the title states I'm making tacticool variations of classic Unreal Tournament weapons.

So far I've got the Enforcer and the Pulse Rifle done. Enforcer is a little beat up looking but I've left the Pulse Rifle looking clean.

Here are the screenshots:

PULSE RIFLE:

SKEU9ws.png
6bDgVlG.png
J59jwna.png
CxJInPM.png

Top: PuBguR1.png
Bottom: toxChMI.png

ENFORCER:

jmacX8P.png
f2hrFWf.png
mBOq4sV.png

All thoughts and feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Next up is the Shock Rifle or Ripper!

Replies

• Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    It would probably be easier to polymodel these instead of sculpting them. Especially if you were to change anything down the line such as moving details around as you'd otherwise need to re-sculpt them in a new location. I'd just model it in Max or whatever as that would give better control, but different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Because of the fact that you've sculpted it all some details look a bit blobby (eg pattern on the enforcers grip). It'll also lead to worse bakes (if you're planning to make lowpoly versions that is) as there will be less occlusions from different extrusions as it's all part of the same shape. If you're going to sculpt it you should separate parts that would in reality be different parts.

The designs are IMO a bit lacking and I'll explain why. I will however preface this by saying that I'm not a weapons expert so I could be wrong about things.
    1. The support rail at the back of the rifle feels too thin and weirdly shaped to be functional against recoil. The reason for this is that so thin that it looks like it could easily snap and the shape of it would only weaken it. I'd go with a thicker and straighter design for that.
    2. The trigger guard on the rifle is weirdly shaped and too thin.
    3. The rifles trigger is too far away from the handle and should be longer.
    4. I'd expect some kind of scope or sights on a rifle (especially as the pistol already have that).
    5. The pistol needs another part for the sight as iron sights work by lining up two parts with each other to make sure the gun is pointing straight.
    6. The pistol grips pattern looks pretty bad and it's obvious that you've done the pattern with many different strokes (leading to it being thicker at intersections). You could maybe improve this by using projection master (I've used this like once so I could be wrong).
    7. The extrusion for the pistol grips pattern is uneven.
    8. The tape is too deformed as it doesn't look like there's anything under it (more than essentially flat pieces).
    9. The overall designs seem a bit boring and they could do with a bit more interesting shapes, however I don't have any concrete advice regarding this.
    10. You also need to make bigger bevels if you're going to bake this.

Good luck!
  • samifira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback.

I built regular models of these before the sculpts. You're definitely right about how it'd be easier to make changes down the line if I just did it all regularly but this was actually my first try at sculpting on weapons and I wanted to try something different. At least I learned something though! I will definitely be building the future weapons in separate parts though and hammering out more of the details in Max before moving on to ZBrush.

1. I got the same feedback on the stock from someone else too. Clearly I'll need to be fixing it or at least remember that for the rest of the weapons. My original intention was to make a stock that was something like this but more futuristic-y(http://www.armstechltd.com/images/clip_image002_0015.jpg) but I think I got a little carried away.

2 and 3. I got the same comment about this from the same person too! The reason it looks like it's so oddly shaped and far apart is because the trigger and handle are partially up and inside the bottom of the gun It was a design I saw a fair bit with UT weapons and tried to emulate even though it made little to no sense. I think going forward I'll try and make it a little more obvious with what's going on in that area. Also I'm definitely tweaking the trigger guard to look more realistic.

4. So the reason you can't see a scope or sights on the rifle is because I was gonna go with an actual hologram for the sights, kind of like the assault rifle in Bulletstorm.

5 - 8. Agreed entirely. Will work on these
    9. Pretty much agreed on the Pulse Rifle although the Enforcer looks pretty much like the original in shape, although the patterns on it are different.
    I'll try and mix things up a bit more for the next set of weapons.
    10. Not sure if I'm gonna bake this but I'll take this under consideration.

Thanks for the really specific feedback, this is exactly what I was looking for.
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    I think this is a very cool concept! I like the idea your trying to achieve. But i feel you should tie it into unreal a bit more, also how do these guns work? That is the key thing im struggling with On the Pulse Rifle, you have what looks like the body of a M16, wich is cool! but you also have the Jamming rod on the weapon, in real life this helps unjam the weapon, by helping to clear the firing chamber, why do you need this in a energy weapon? why do you need a clip? i would also feel the wires hanging from the gun would get in the way, or snagged or break....the wires and the clip make no sense to me, the top view of the gun looks incredibly small, and i do agree with @nosslak that the stock looks very thin and frail, im assuming it folds?
    i feel your going for a spas 12 sort of stock https://www.google.com/search?q=foldable+stocks&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=DfSpUq_aNOH4yAGTioCYCg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1034&bih=884#q=spas+12+stock&tbm=isch i would really look at this and see how you can modify what you have to beef it up :)

the pistol,

I am stuggling understanding how the pistol works as well.....it looks like it shoots regular cartridge based ammo, there for the upper part of the pistol should slide back upon firing ejecting the spent shell casing, in this case it would hit your rear sights....so it must have an internal mechanism but you do not show how this works, how do you load ammunition into the firing chamber?

I think this is a really cool idea :) and can not wait for you to knock it out of the park, keep at it bubba! :D
  • samifira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, I had the exact same conversation about the jamming rod with my friend.

My reasoning was that even though a pulse rifle wouldn't need a jamming rod, it would need a way to vent out plasma(or pulse) gas buildup. So, I decided that since gas buildup would probably be the 23rd century version of jamming, the gun should be designed in a way that is familiar to all soldiers. So, pulling on the "jamming rod" would vent the gas build up from the gun on from the bottom vent that you can see in the bottom pic. Hope that explains it and that it also makes sense.

As for the wires and "clip," the clip is actually the battery like in this version of the pulse rifle: http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/w/images/Ut2004-linkgun-osiris2.jpg It's the power source to the rifle. Now, my thinking was that in this case we would need a primary ammo source for the gun but the wires will take the residual energy and use it to power the electronic components of the gun, particularly the holo sight(which isn't even lit up right now, hahaha).

I hope that explains my design choices a bit. I do think I could make the rifle more "Unreal" looking though and I'll do a little more preplanning I think for the next set of weapons to really get that Unreal-feel down before getting too deep into building.

Pistol-wise, that rear sight thing is actually attached to the sliding back part, it's just that the attachment point is too thin apparently. I'm gonna have to take a harder look at how these things come together structurally and think about how they would actually operate.

I really appreciate your feedback. This is even more of the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Thanks man!
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    wouldn't the gun do that automatically though?

What are the circular bits on top of the gun?

i figured the clip was a battery and powered the gun and was also used for the amunition, but if this is the 23rd century why would you external wires? how many shots can be fired before you have to change the battery out?
    if you have to hook up wires when reloading this increases reloading time which increases the likely hood of getting shot...so why use this gun when there are still standard ammo types out there?

about the pistol, i thought that intially until i saw the side view of the gun, it looks to be bolted to the main frame of the gun, you should move that bolt forward just a bit so that is is on the sliding mechism.

But yes i like the thought behind the design chocies :D just trying to help you create some epic weapons :D