Home Technical Talk

Current Generation Modelling and Texturing Techniques, 2013/14

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
littleclaude quad damage
Hello

I am looking for some advice on current generation modelling and texturing for the XB1/PS4.

I thought I would start off with a vehicle 'LAV-3' an amphibious reconnaissance vehicle but feel free to give advice on characters, buildings and environments or any links to interesting articles like Brian Burell’s Futuristic Russian Helicopter I would really appreciate it.

The vehicle below is one of my student’s files and the advice I am giving is very much pieced together from reading articles on Polycount and then practicing it but I do find my own approach a little varied and I am hoping for a more solid approach. I thought I would ask you guys how would you go about constructing it for current generation? let’s say for argument sake it’s a game loosely based on a game like ‘Kill Zone Shadow Fall / Call of Duty: Ghosts / Battlefield 4. So if you could give me a rough idea of Polycount, textures, materials, lighting.

Also are there particular softwares and pipelines you would recommend?

7th Generation Pipeline for Vehicles/Assets

1. Maya/Modo/3DSmax - (model into game engine)

2. Headus UV Layout/Road Kill

3. Zbrush/Mudbox

4. XNormal

5. Mari, dDo, NDo,

6. Photoshop

7. Clean up back in Maya/Modo/3DSmax (add Substance to the pipeline)

8. Into game engine (might add Substance?)

9. Back do forth for a bit reimporting updates

10. All the time thinking about Edgeloop flow and DirX 11 pipeline?
10.1. - Physically based shaders,
10.2. - Linear workflow/gamma correct workflows.
10.3. - Displacement maps if needed.

11. Bring it all into game engine (might add Substance again here?)

12. Back do forth for a bit reimporting updates.
Here is the of the turret, so if anyone wants to use that to show best practice then that would be great, I can then show this thread to my students and get them to construct files in a similar fashion.

Thanks again your help is much appreciated

Here is the OBJ file LINK to the image below.

Capture.jpg

oif_lav_7_of_7.jpg

Replies

• SkyGround
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkyGround polycounter lvl 11
    Killzone 4 using different techiques then BF4 and COD Ghosts.
    Physical based shaders are in new Killzone, BF4 and COD - using same classic stuff.

You can look at [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_29M8F-sRsU"]Digital Dragons - Micha? Drobot (Guerrilla Games) - Killzone: Shadow Fall - Lighting - YouTube[/ame] there is some explanations
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Well, we changed our whole pipeline at Ready at Dawn, we do phyically but we do in layers adapted inside the engine, we had a conversation about this here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123826
  • .nL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    Actually, from what I understand- CoD's used a PBR shader since at least Black Ops 2. The difference is in the pipeline they use to generate the actual textures. Not sure about BF4, though.

Shadowfall and Ryse use approximately 40,000 triangles for non-hero characters,
    compared to the ~20-40k for main characters in the last gen. So as a general rule, I'd estimate that triangle counts will hover around 2-3 times the triangle limits you would have had in a 7th gen game (max). But you should never exceed the amount of triangles you absolutely need to get the job done.

Increasing triangle counts may be the most expedient way to make a game look "next gen", but it also reduces an art team's rate of output, and only offers an incremental increase in visual fidelity.

If I were you, I'd keep the majority of my meshes at 7th gen acceptable triangle counts, if only to foster an appreciation for every triangle available to you. Triangle counts can always be augmented with displacement maps a some quality tessellation.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    I disagree. Triangles are cheapest way to improve your model, and are least important resource you have.
    If you can reduce shader (material) complexity by using more triangles. Do so!.
    If you can can reduce amount of textures used by increaseing tri amount. Do it!
    If you can better normal map, by adding more triangles. Do so!.
    If adding more triangles means, you have spend less time on texturing. Do it!

And so on. If you find yourself in situation where adding more triangles means saving time or saving other resource, just add them.
    Times where. GPUs were sturggling with 1miln tris are long gone, Now they can render 1 bilion without problem.

If you can run GPU profiler on real-scene with lots of tris, I can guarantee you, that things like lighting, post-process will top the graph. Fallowed by particles. If you can you can also check how dramatic shader complexity decrease performance. The less pixel level masking/blending/other things you use the better. Fallowed by vertex masking. Multimaterials are way cheaper to use.
  • .nL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    I absolutely agree with you, triangle counts are largely irrelevant when it comes to rendering. But you do start to get diminishing returns after around 20k, so learning to intuitively allocate detail for meshes with more restrictive spec, before moving on to work in a somewhat unfettered environment, could do wonders for an artist's overall efficiency, as well as the final quality of their art.
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    .nL wrote: »
    I absolutely agree with you, triangle counts are largely irrelevant when it comes to rendering. But you do start to get diminishing returns after around 20k, so learning to intuitively allocate detail for meshes with more restrictive spec, before moving on to work in a somewhat unfettered environment, could do wonders for an artist's overall efficiency, as well as the final quality of their art.

Wow... where did this number come from? It absolutely depends on your asset. If it's something very detailed, you might want to spend more than 20k, if it's something simple, no. Just saying 20k polys is quite random and doesn't help at all.

Also, the diminishing returns stuff depends on how you plan on using said asset as well. This comment reminds me of the people that believes this image:

aFKEttJ.png

You're assuming you have the same amount of detail and you just use more polygons for said mesh.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Mik2121 wrote: »
    aFKEttJ.png

I hate that image, here's one talking about whats wrong with that image.

6vCXW0G.jpg
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This image really look like cpt. obivious strikes again.
    It's rather clear that simply subdividing will not add details, it will just mesh more smooth.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    "current gen" is pretty ambiguous right now. Are we talking 360/PS3 gen, or XB1/PS4 gen?

More polys. Most Xb1/PS4 gen games I'd imagine are using some kind of PB rendering (the ones simulating realism anyway). Mari and substance designer/dDo would probably be a good start for materials.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Thanks for the tips guys, lots to read up on and think about.

Marks - XB1/PS4

As we are not worried about polycount by the looks of what you say how would 80K for the LAV be and then make a level of detail down from there? I will also post up some material stats when I drop it into an engine.

Mari - Physically Based Shader for Real-Time Games
    https://vimeo.com/65408722
    [vv]65408722[/vv]
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    We're definitely going to still be concerned by poly counts on "next-gen" platforms. It's just that shaders are really where more of the expense / time spent is.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside wrote: »
    This image really look like cpt. obivious strikes again.
    It's rather clear that simply subdividing will not add details, it will just mesh more smooth.
    Yeah, I hate that image too for that same reason. It's a dumb comparison. Now, if you used those extra triangles to actually add detail to the model you'd see a huge increase in quality!
  • Tim270
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim270 polycounter lvl 6
    I know I am missing the point of the thread here but just to be a asshole, the vehicle in the image is much closer to the "LAV-3" than the American "LAV-25" Or even closer to a stryker Package.
  • .nL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    Mik2121 wrote: »
    Wow... where did this number come from? It absolutely depends on your asset. If it's something very detailed, you might want to spend more than 20k, if it's something simple, no. Just saying 20k polys is quite random and doesn't help at all.

I was referring specifically to character art, in reference to a quote by someone at Guerrilla during an interview on KZ:SF, about how even though the poly counts had increased hugely, the corresponding increase in fidelity was only slight (I'll find the specific article later, and post a link). Though, I agree- I was far too universal in my prescription. It's my personal opinion (be it right, or wrong) that unless a character will be consuming a large amount of the screen space, or have a lot of secondary motion in its animations (clothes, flails, chains, etc), there's no real need to use more than 20-30,000 polys for its mesh unless its to correct normal baking artifacts, or increase the quality of critical elements of the silhouette.

But, leaving my opinions behind, here are actual numbers I've been able to find so far (I'll update as I encounter new numbers):

Marius (hero, Ryse) -> 85,000 polys
    Source

Helghast soldier (Shadowfall): 40,000 polys?
    (Source was on the Geurrilla site, but it's down right now so I can't confirm)

Currently emerging workflow as I understand it:

1. build a library of physically correct materials w/tiling textures

2. construct mesh as you would for any 7th gen title (UVs should be made with tiling materials in mind)

3. assign materials to geometry (per-poly, or with a mask), as well as baked maps (normal, bump, etc.).
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    all in all, you got just toss a number out there, since all games are different and got different requirements. Like say i go with the 20k number someone tossed out, well for a 3rd person shooter that would look pretty low on player character, but in a rts game where you can see hundreds of units at once, it would be too much.

Also MP vs SP player also has considerations to be made
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In multiplayer game you will be limited by amount of darw calls. Each animated character generate horrendous overhead on between CPU and GPU, IDK, why people still think that for multiplayer character should be lower poly, while in usuall situation with a lots of characters on screen, GPU is idling, because CPU can't manage to send enough data :D

I'd rather say. Pull your shit together and stop using DirectX..
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    a off the track software I like is UV layout, at first it was a bit like wtf is going on and this UI is terrible!, but now I couldn't imagine doing uvs without it is so so easy.
  • arcitecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arcitecht polycounter lvl 6
    I was referring specifically to character art, in reference to a quote by someone at Guerrilla during an interview on KZ:SF, about how even though the poly counts had increased hugely, the corresponding increase in fidelity was only slight (I'll find the specific article later, and post a link). Though, I agree- I was far too universal in my prescription. It's my personal opinion (be it right, or wrong) that unless a character will be consuming a large amount of the screen space, or have a lot of secondary motion in its animations (clothes, flails, chains, etc), there's no real need to use more than 20-30,000 polys for its mesh unless its to correct normal baking artifacts, or increase the quality of critical elements of the silhouette.

But, leaving my opinions behind, here are actual numbers I've been able to find so far (I'll update as I encounter new numbers):

Marius (hero, Ryse) -> 85,000 polys
    Source

Helghast soldier (Shadowfall): 40,000 polys?
    (Source was on the Geurrilla site, but it's down right now so I can't confirm)

2. construct mesh as you would for any 7th gen title (UVs should be made with tiling materials in mind)

3. assign materials to geometry (per-poly, or with a mask), as well as baked maps (normal, bump, etc.).
    This is a bit off topic, but what does "tiling UVs" entail? I've never heard of this used before on a character, so do you have any links or resources describing its use in character production?
  • .nL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    Quick explanation:
    wKDA81G.png

This video should provide a more complete explanation:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7WNcUotwSQ"]Inside Unreal - Character Aesthetics - YouTube[/ame]
  • arcitecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arcitecht polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks so much for the explanation and video! Gives me an idea of what to read up on.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter

most assets still require unique texturing as always, not tiling. tiling textures all over this LAV won't produce the scrapes, mud, paint weathering, iconography, and other details that will make it feel real.

generally for something like this you'll have some material value index to check out to start your texture off with, but you'll still be tweaking those values, adding overlays, and applying unique details to finalize it. now that PBR is fashionable, it's becoming more common to get lookup tables for material values, but really this is something that sharper technical artists at studios have been doing for years, and isn't endemic to PBR.

tiling textures will remain primarily used by environment artists.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    The only way to find the best practice for modeling in the style and spec of a given game is to have access to some of the assets of that game.

So, since there's no way you'll find access to Killzone files, I'd suggest scouting around the internet for communities who managed to extract BlackOps2, Ghosts, BF3 or BF4 files and follow the specs of these files exactly. These files will tell you all you need to know about how the assets were made, without the need for any educated guess.

In general, I don't think any realtime modeling assignment (with an emphasis on proper pipeline and tech) can really be given without at least a couples reference files of that nature. If such files don't exist for the latest cool game out there, then simply fall back to games/engines where such files are readily available for sure, like the stock assets of UDK and Cryengine. And when it comes to shaders and materials, if these engines don't support the material type you want to work with, simply use the Marmoset2 standards and "render" there.

Also I would advise you and your student to let the tank model sit for a while and figure all of the above first with an older, already made model (or any of the available SDK kits here on Polycount). That way you'll cut straight to the chase and figure out all the tech aspects first. There's nothing more frustrating than having to redo art because of an unforeseen technical limitation.

[edit]

Quick google search reveals that the information is definitely out there. Just dig around these forums, ask around, and so on - I think you'll get your hands on some files in no time !

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1320985&page=11&

um0i.jpg
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    most assets still require unique texturing as always, not tiling.

That's kind of a sweeping blanket statement. And one that isn't necessarily true either, depending on where you work / what your art pipeline is like.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    most assets still require unique texturing as always, not tiling. tiling textures all over this LAV won't produce the scrapes, mud, paint weathering, iconography, and other details that will make it feel real.

generally for something like this you'll have some material value index to check out to start your texture off with, but you'll still be tweaking those values, adding overlays, and applying unique details to finalize it. now that PBR is fashionable, it's becoming more common to get lookup tables for material values, but really this is something that sharper technical artists at studios have been doing for years, and isn't endemic to PBR.

tiling textures will remain primarily used by environment artists.

The implementation at Ready At Dawn uses a library of tiling materials and then each object has a unique unwrap with a mask texture to interpolate between materials on the object. Localized details like rust, corrosion, dirt, damage... Are all created by blending between parent materials. It is basically the same thing you would normally do in a PSD file by masking between layer sets. I think there are more local controls beyond that (map to affect color?) but I only did modeling for them and am not sure.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks wrote: »
    That's kind of a sweeping blanket statement. And one that isn't necessarily true either, depending on where you work / what your art pipeline is like.

Well. Lets put it this way. To add unique details you need unique texture in some way. Either mask or diffuse.
    Sometimes you need it sometimes you don't.
    For clean models, you probably can do just with tileble textures. For more rough and dirty you would need some uniqueness.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    I'm sorry that you felt my statement was sweeping, or a blanket.
    iniside wrote: »
    Well. Lets put it this way. To add unique details you need unique texture in some way. Either mask or diffuse.
    Yes exactly.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    I'm sorry that you felt my statement was sweeping, or a blanket.

What a genuinely surprising attitude from an ex-CDG'er :)
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    What a genuinely surprising attitude from an ex-CDG'er :)

look in the mirror

someone is still salty about like 2007 or whatever, get over it and stop derailing threads
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    a off the track software I like is UV layout, at first it was a bit like wtf is going on and this UI is terrible!, but now I couldn't imagine doing uvs without it is so so easy.

Good point, I have added it to the pipe line. I also know of lots of companies switching to Modo for UV creation as well as modelling.

7th Generation Pipeline for Vehicles/Assets

1. Maya/Modo/3DSmax - (model into game engine)

2. Headus UV Layout/Road Kill

3. Zbrush/Mudbox

4. XNormal

5. Mari, dDo, NDo,

6. Photoshop

7. Clean up back in Maya/Modo/3DSmax (add Substance to the pipeline)

8. Into game engine (might add Substance?)

9. Back do forth for a bit reimporting updates

10. All the time thinking about Edgeloop flow and DirX 11 pipeline?
    10.1. - Physically based shaders,
    10.2. - Linear workflow/gamma correct workflows.
    10.3. - Displacement maps if needed.

11. Bring it all into game engine (might add Substance again here?)

12. Back do forth for a bit reimporting updates.
    Here is the of the turret, so if anyone wants to use that to show best practice then that would be great, I can then show this thread to my students and get them to construct files in a similar fashion.
  • Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    I love using UVlayout over 3ds max uv tools.

Advantages:
    1. It allows you to group parts together in boxes when packing
    2. Watching the uv islands relax with shift f and shift b is very relaxing and rewarding.
    3. The cut tools, edge loops and being able to rotate around in 3d space.
    4. Moving parts off to the side or hiding them in the edit window
    5. Relax brush to smooth out small areas of uv islands
    6. The segment tool that uses a face angle, particularyly good at squarish objects when cutting them up and laying them out flat in uv space

Disadvantages:
    1. UVlayout is 32bit software, anything over 500k polygons in a obj file will cuase the software to crash a lot and run out of memory. That's a problem for me as I do a lot of high poly model unwraps not for games. So that means more maps that I use and breaking the model down to smaller chunks of obj's
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was a longtime user of Headus UV (5 years) but I have to say Unfold 3D is a true delight, and has a better unfold algorithm for unwrapping all object types. As well as tools in unwrap styles.

Give it a try if you get the chance.