Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Payton Produces a Portfolio, Posthaste

Hi there PC!

So, predating this post, I haven't had a single shred of a discernible gallery outside of my modding WIP gallery at the Nexusmods.com site.

I felt the urge to change this, art is my thing, my passion.

These are the fruit of the last few months, and I believe I've improved consistently in all areas through that time.

http://dogtoothcg.wordpress.com/

I would appreciate any critiques, particularly in regards to topology, which I find is my weakest suit despite all three deforming just fine ingame (they use a different rig, skeleton, and animation setup).

Anyone particularly friendly with wordpress sites could potentially help me out with some advices on setting it up to be a little more professional without needing to edit css or php, I do not currently have that option due to not having purchased the utilities to.

I would also appreciate if anyone would proofread my bio and let me know if it comes off in a strange/unprofessional manner, as well as any addendums to the work itself, I don't feel sufficiently acquainted with the finer points of crediting the work of others if it is displayed.

Thank you for your time, patience, and continued support,
Payton Quinn

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The noise around the text in your banner is distracting; I'd remove it.

The poses overall feel forced. The way the assault trooper is holding the LMG and the scavenger is holding the cigarette seem unnatural.

The trooper's helmet really bothers me; it's almost as though it was intentionally designed to block as much of the trooper's vision and hearing as possible. Stick to a more traditional and useable design.

The trooper is armed with a machine gun, yet he has individual rounds stuck through his belt. If you want to show ammunition, then go whole-hog and have a few bandoliers strapped around his chest. Also, using art assets from a company without permission is a very bad idea; there are plenty of freely-available weapons out there that would work as well.

The crown of the baseball cap on the survivalist seems much too high.

Overall, everything feels very dark. What will be the most common form of pants after an apocalypse? Blue jeans. Why? Because they last forever and are the most common form of pants before the apocalypse. The end of the world doesn't mean that all color disappears. Yes, things will get dirty, and worn, and colors will fade over time, but they will still be there. Even if you are trying to be sneaky, black is about the worst choice whenever there is any light.

The previous rant isn't just about you; far too many games lately seem to think 'dirt' is the only available palette.

If you're looking for a job, you should include a resume.

I'd probably get rid of the first sentence on the bio; neither age nor gender really matter when looking for a job (at least in theory...)

In the final sentence of the first paragraph, you used 'than' rather then 'then'.

The first sentence of the second paragraph is awkward and long, and the final clause is ambiguous. I can't tell whether you're referring to an unhappy home-life (which you really shouldn't bring up in this setting) or a rather disastrous attempt to sculpt in your living room...

In the opening sentence of the third paragraph, I'd insert 'from' before 'topology' and eliminate the final clause.
  • TheWildHunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your clear, concise, and honest response.

Do any resources exist where I can study poses? A quick google did not pull up much for me in the way of posing the way I want, but of course, I may be aiming for the wrong type of poses.

The helmet has been a consistent point of irritation for me; I believe the US m9 combat helmet would pose as a sufficient replacement and fit in the existing uvw space.

All three of these pieces are set to be featured in an upcoming modification for Fallout: New Vegas, and I wanted to use an ingame asset to bring it all together but was unsure of how to properly credit (Obsidian developed the game, Bethesda published) or if that was looked down upon. It will be removed and replaced with a rifle courteously donated by Hans Palm.

I shall tweak the baseball cap, I have two seperate model versions where the hat is at a different height, I may have accidentally posed the "way too high" version and this will be rectified, thank you.

I tried to stray from blue jeans for the simple fact of repetition, I thought it would look a bit silly if the already dirt colored characters were all wearing the same color pants; I will do some color and material tests and post here. I've attempted to retain the most color in places that are protected from the sun, with logical dirt placement, and sun bleaching on the areas most commonly in the sun; if this is an issue, I will go back into the psd's and attempt to tone down the dirt and bring some color back. Thank you

No worries on the dirt palette concept, I've seen it become quite the ocurrence lately; I chose the palette due to the environment in which these were designed for, that is the Mojave desert, I have in hindsight however, probably taken that a bit far as washing clothes is not out of the question.

Thank you very much for the feedback on my bio. I was told to always include my name, age, and race in any bio. I will remove this promptly; the resume is currently being uploaded (I can't believe I forgot to include that...). Thank you for pointing out my grammatical errors. Spelling is one thing (not that it's entirely necessary due to spell check), but grammar when limited to the "theres", and "to's" have always been an issue for me.

I will rewrite the second paragraph; to clarify, it is not a stab at my home life; I wanted to touch on the affect that zbrush had on me, as previously my room had transformed into a lung cancer winter wonderland of clay dust and plaster particles. I will redact that and write something new.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write all this out, it will be taken to heart.
    -Payton