Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Current Character - Rot Warrior

This is the current character I've been working on over the last few weeks. Based on the concept by SOPossum over at DeviantArt. I plan on making a fully rendered scene with him after I retopo. I want as much C&C as possible, anything would be helpful. Something important to note, this will be my first character that I plan on finishing. I haven't gone through most of the process for making a game character such as baking normals but I'm fairly confident I'll be able to get good results after some trial and error. I've done a fair amount of research so hopefully things will go relatively smooth.

• Too much noise?
  • Harder edges on wooden horns?
  • Poly limit 30-40k
  • Adding fringe to burlap with alphas post retopo
  • Rendering in Unreal engine in wet cave scene with lighting similar to the first scene in the Elder Scrolls Online Cinematic Trailer.

WIP01-34.png

WIP01.png

WIP01-ShieldSword.png

Concept
rawt_warriors_by_sopossum-d6ihzd6.jpg

Replies

• Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    It looks really good in my opinion =)

I think the level of noise in your sculpt fits the concept so it's ok. I would be very interested in hearing your process for the damages/noise. I assume it's mostly drag rect alpha + noise maker + orb cracks, but I could be wrong.
  • Abrvpt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Sweet high poly ! The amount of noise is ok in my opinion, but when texturing make sure that you don't make all the surfaces pop out as the same level. (hope you understand my approximative english)
    Also the metallic parts are possibly to bumpy and irregular at the moment. I can see that you're looking for a heavily damaged look which fits perfectly to the model, but the surfaces might need a bit of trim dynamic strokes to look more hard. (but not too much on the edges, it's better to keep a bit of softness on the edges for a clean baking)

Hope that wasn't too much of a pain to read. ^^
    Keep up !
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I would use noise to help distinguish between the different materials and surfaces. As it is now you have it spread across everything pretty evenly. It would be much more readable if you varied the noise/amount from surface to surface.

Also, some of your hard surfaces are pretty soft and lumpy. There should be a distinct difference between your hard surfaces and organic ones.

It's a cool concept and you've done a great job so far. I just think it would benefit much more with more evident material and surface differentiation (in the sculpt itself).

Best of luck!
  • Guidance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback!

@Popol
    The noise was made with drag alphas on most of the stuff but I would reinforce a lot of it by taking the Damian Standard and Trim Dynamic brushes then adding detail to the "happy accidents" that came from the alphas. I would use the Orb Crack brush on a few select edges but for the most part I used Damian Standard, Clay Buildup and Trim Dynamic.

@Abrvpt, @Tobbo
    It read fine no worries! The main issue that I keep seeing is the noise variations and the hard surfaces. Some of the organic feel is supposed to be from the buildup of fungi and grunge but I definitely agree that the materials can be more defined to make the materials more recognizable. I'll try experimenting with noise to differentiate between the grunge and the actual metal. Thanks again! Ill post an update when I can as long as I can keep my self in gear.