Home General Discussion

Porfolio website feedback

Well I'm about a year or 2 in to trying to get a career in the industry. Here is my website

http://scorchingstudio.com/

Any suggestions on how to improve it to make myself more employable

Replies

• ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    you need to work on your anatomy mate, symmetrical abs are ludicrous, and it looks like you are barely accounting for fat.

as for the website itself seems like a pain to scroll, I got stuff popping in and out, its very unattractive and stuff is moving round like crazy when I stretch the window.

TBH far too complex, seems like website seems like a absolute disaster in terms of design, go for simplicity.
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    The logo in the background is really distracting to me.

When I click on some of your portfolio pieces your background changes? And more importantly it changes to colors that pop like red and yellow?! Big no!

Personally I think you should change your background for every page to a very dark gray. Maybe even give it a very slight gradient.

And lastly your pages images may be too high in res? When I scroll down it's a little slow. Could be just me though!
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    Yeah it's lagging for me as well when I scroll and all the pictures pop out and in again. A search button is also pretty redundant. What am I gonna be searching for? You already put all the stuff people want to find anyway, Resume etc.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    You're off to a good start, but there are things that need tweaking.
    • It's great that it's scalable but the design falls apart at larger screen sizes. On a phone, all of your pieces fall into one neat column and it looks good. Set a max width for that column to where your pieces are big enough to view, but that column doesn't fall apart.
    • The slideshow at the top needs to go. It's too big, has loading screens, and no one's going to sit through the entire thing. Replacing it with your demo reel would be a good idea though.
    • ALL of your work should be in your portfolio, especially what's in the "games" section and again, your demo reel.
    • This is all you need for navigation: "Portfolio", "Resume", "Contact", "Blog" (optional). It's okay for your resume section to contain additional information about you as long as the downloadable PDF is more standard. Your resume PDF looks good btw.
    • Drop the search bar and soundtrack buttons.
    • The thorny design in the background is a bit awkward. It's so colorful that it distracts from your work and because it's aligned to the right edge, my initial thought was my browser window was too small so I wasn't seeing something. I know you're going for a graffiti look but imo that background isn't helping. I'd drop it altogether or replace it with something MUCH more subtle and balanced.
    • The zoom animation on your thumbnails is too severe.
    • I'm going to echo what someone else said and suggest changing the flat black background to a dark grey. A color would work too but make sure it doesn't compete with your work.
    • Stop labeling everything as WIP.
    • Your site doesn't allow me to view images directly or download them. Your images also aren't watermarked. Many recruiters remember people by downloading one of their pieces. When they're done searching, they'll go through that folder and find a piece that pops out. If your work hits the mark, they'll need a watermark to know who made it and where to find you.
    • Unless it's your actual company, I'd probably ditch "Scorching Studios". If I'm at the site, I'm there to learn about you, not the company.
    Like I said, you're off to a good start but you're doing what a lot of people fresh out of school do (I did it too) and worrying too much about your brand and not enough about functionality.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Also a few bits to add I would like to see the Wings piece first as I believe its by far your strongest, it will at least keep potential employers looking.

the other thing other than the distracting logo I don't get what scorching studios is, is this a personal portfolio site? A company site? would I be looking to employ you or hiring your company? it lends to confusion mate.

just try and keep it simple, clear and concise above all.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13