Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Starcraft wow and much much more!!>

hey everyone!> i have been wanting to share my work with everyone. and i think it's time to do so. ;p. i'm going to keep this threat open since i plan on updating it with more stuff. the plan is to keep my options open. and i will be jumping between different themes/ games. i also do a lot of steampunk stuff. so there will be more of that as well. and from the looks. warhammer and halo is in the top options. ;p.
i will love to get feedback from the community and i am pretty much a baby when it comes to forums. ;p. thanks in advance.
flying_punk_adventures_angelvillacis.jpg

wounded_marine4_starcraft_illustration_angelvillacis.jpg
starcraft_illustration_angelvillacisprogress.jpg

some murloc love :P.

murlock_warrior_8_aangelvillacis.jpg
murloc_progress_angelv.jpg

this is something i submitted to blizzcon.

mechanic_gnome_7_av.jpg

gnome_av_preview_2_drawing.jpg

castle_city_4angelvillacis.jpg

wow_city_progress_av_1.jpg

[IMG][/img]orc_tales_angelvillacis4.jpg

carrosa_5_angelvillacis.jpg
carrosa_progress_angelvillacis.jpg

a little bit of character development.
viking_warrior_progress_av.jpg

Replies

• Vitale
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These are excellent! The first Starcraft one seems a little out of style if anything
  • John Ehresmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Ehresmann polycounter lvl 4
    Definitely loving this man, can't wait to see what else you come up with.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    At first I thought you needed some more experience (murloc looked a little flat) but I quickly realized you have a very distinct style

these are really nice
  • metric meditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metric meditation polycounter lvl 5
    as with any artist, artwork will evolve and change over time. we learn by doing. the more we do, the more we learn :)

so far, you are doing good :) to punch out the dimension of an image, you will need to push your values more. what I mean by that is to push out the brightness on the highlights... (both soft and hard). your darker values are fairly strong.

keep going... don't ever stop :)
  • AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    hey man, these are nice, I agree with metric, your main problem is that you use kinda medium values and the end result looks flat.
    The one image you have, that kinda defies that is the one with the mechanical arm guy. You have a good composition there, you have focused the viewer's eye on the character.
    So my suggestion would be to do many thumbnails and fast sketches to practice that, composition.
    Keep at it, hope to see more soon!
  • villacis23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i can't thank you guys enough for the amazing comments. and yes i completely agree with them been a little flat. so i took the time to push the values around a little bit more.

i hope this is a better version of the space marine one. and i will try to do more thumbnail studies to improve them more!> ;p. wounded_marine2_starcraft_illustration_angelvillacis-1.jpg
  • metric meditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metric meditation polycounter lvl 5
    here are some changes and adjustments

quickie.jpg
  • AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    It 's certainly getting there :D
    Keep going!
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    The changes are really helping so good work.

One thing that I have noticed is that each of your pictures seem to be really evenly lit which leaves them with little colour variation so everything is kind of blending together.

I would try adding a curves adjustment layer and seeing if that can add some contrast to your paintings. I would also try painting in some harsher shadows and focusing the light around the focal point of your paintings as they aren't really reading correctly at the moment.

Keep it up and I look forward to seeing how you progress with this :)
  • villacis23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so i decided to add a bit of light on the marine right area. to show more dimension as well as push his dark levels and add some light to his face. i have to say it looks a million times better now :). also worked a little bit on the murloc and played a little bit with his curve adjustment. added a hard shadow and the feedbacks have improve it so much!!. not only it has more depth and look less flat but it reads really well as a thumbnail. ! . thank you everyone!> i will try and fix the other illustrations as well while i finish more work :)
    wounded_marine4_starcraft_illustration_angelvillacis.jpg
    murlock_warrior_8_aangelvillacis.jpg
  • AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    Hope you don't mind I did a quick little cropping and placing to show you what would be a little more compelling at least for me compositionally. Dunno if you are interested in that approach, I 'm not an expert or anything it's just what would draw my eye and make me examine the character more.
    4nbm.jpg
  • villacis23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firith i really like what you did. :) it has a lot of depth. thank you again for taking the time and help me with my work!>
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I expected doge =P.

Wow. Starcraft. Such armor. Wow. Very zerg.
  • villacis23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    threat has been updated. * :) more to come!>
  • villacis23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some new stuff i have been working on.
    destiny_sniper_av.jpg
    destiny_fighter_progress.jpg

astronaut_av_1.jpg

dwaft_character_warrior_1.jpg
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    You've got some good starts here. My one issue is that your characters don't seem to be doing things. They've got these sort of static pre-posed looks, whereas it should look more like a candid photo. For example, your blizzcon entry looks more like someone said "Hold your arm out and pretend to push something," rather than a guy actually pushing a button on his wrist. The guy holding the hammer isn't actually holding it -- his hand is too loose, and a hammer that size would be heavy (so the arm wouldn't be in that position) and it wouldn't balance well at the point it's being held. The weight should be distributed so that it's most comfortably held farther down the shaft and it should be out of balance and clearly difficult to carry if it's held where it is now. Details like that are what you need to get to a level of true plausibility. Your murloc seems a lot closer in this regard. The angle and hold on the shield is pretty good, but the muscles would be more involved to hold a sword up like that.

I do really like seeing some less beefcake-y characters, but in line with the other notes above, people who aren't in great shape are going to be expending a lot more effort on holding and using heavy objects. If they're meant to be well-muscled under the fat, you have to hint at that definition (it'll usually show most in the arms, sometimes legs). It'll also help you to come up with a reason as to why those characters are doing what they're doing. Is that murloc a warrior? Did he just find the sword at the beach? Does he really know to stick the pointy end in the other guy? A generic pose is only going to take you so far. Murlocs aren't that bright. What if he was scratching his nose with the tip of the sword? It's plausible, it's funny, and it's a lot more memorable than standing around with a weapon.