Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low Poly Aircraft Pack

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Polynurb polycounter lvl 15
Just something I wanted to pimp.

I've started a low poly aircraft set of models, textures, etc. I would like to share an early preview of the first aircraft I'm working on, the Cessna 172. These are going to be highly detailed aircraft without the super high polygon density of most aircraft models found on the web. I'm moving on to the interior cabin model/textures this week. You can view wireframes in the web player.

Check it out in real time in a Unity Webplayer:
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16956434/LowPolyAircraftPack/Webplayer/LowPolyAircraftPack.html

If you're working on a flight game of any type, check em out, they might be of use.
http://igg.me/at/LowPolyAircraftPack/x/2305754

CessnaSkyhawk01_Completed.png

CessnaSkyhawk02_Completed.png

Cessna_WIP01.png

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The difference between your lowest polygon and highest polygon LODs isn't that significant. As a comparison, in IL-2 the highest level was ~3000, while the lowest (seen at 500m) was less than 100. Take a look at this page, http://www.smsp.org/il2/3d_modeling_bible/ext_lodsystem.html, for a full explanation of how they broke things down. Keep in mind that from a considerable distance you'll see very little detail.

You might run into licensing issues with the aircraft; that's the reason racing games traditionally had semi-copies of actual cars with similar names.

The shading on the vertical stabilizer & rudder seems off; is there an odd polygon in the shading groups?
  • Polynurb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DWalker - Wow thanks for the LOD resource. I will definitely be doing some adjustments on the LOD poly counts. I really need to do the LODs and get a good feel for it and then I can hone in more precise numbers and get them quite a bit lower. It's always something I have to do in production first and then edit the numbers. Right now they're kind of arbitrary, but a general ballpark idea.

As for the shading, I think that just might be an edge or two that is soft and doesn't have enough edgeloops to hold a good crisp edge. I'm using Maya, so no shading groups, but I do believe it's just an edge or two being softened when it should be hardened. Thank you for the input and critiques, will help me hone this in and polish it.
  • Polynurb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought I'd post up the Work-In-Progress Cessna interior cabin. I've started modeling the exterior model for the Learjet, but didn't neglect to come back and do some more work on the cabin for the Cessna. I'll have some imagery for the Learjet within the next day or two. 850 polygons for the interior Cessna cabin so far.
    Check out the site for more info:

Cessna_Interior_WIP.png
  • kimchee519
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I went to your website for the low poly air pack and it costs money? This forum is more for pimping not selling your stuff I believe.
  • Polynurb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kimchee519 - Sorry bud, didn't mean to offend ya. I've always shared these resources here without issue. I just keep it to one artwork based thread and provide links if some people are inclined to look into it more. Not asking anyone to buy anything, it's just a donation based thing for fellow game developers. If they need something like this hey all good, if they don't no big deal, just check out some neat game development artwork. I am definitely pimping the artwork first and foremost, the campaign (in this thread) is just a secondary link. You don't have to buy anything to check out some development art or to play the webplayer demo in realtime on the web (which is super cool tech by the way)!
  • Polynurb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cessna 172 Interior cabin is completed and shipped off to be rigged up for flight! Interior model came in at 2,870 polygons. Here is a webplayer preview and a link to the site with more information on the project.

Webplayer:
    http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16956434/LowPolyAircraftPack/Webplayer/LowPolyAircraftPack.html

Website for project:

Cessna_Completed_Interior.png
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I don't think it's a great idea to have all those dials modeled in as they're costing extra polygons, texture space and give aliased edges versus just having them painted in like the 'empty dials' on the righthand side. It's not like they're giving much in terms of detail/silhouette anyway.
  • Polynurb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree. It was by necessity that the needles are seperated. These are designed to work with UnityFS and other flight sim packages that require some of the needles to be geometry that can be rotated via scripts. They are actual moving readouts just like in Microsoft Flight Simulator. They aren't modeled, they are alpha decals mapped to polygon planes. They are also mapped to a single texture atlas to save draw calls.

edit - I think I just grasped you may have been talking about the bevel surrounds for the guages, my bad on that. Yeah I chose to model those so that they catch the light. In flight they do look cool catching the sunlight. The other important thing was I needed the depth for those guages so they could accomodate both moving needles and some with countermoving backgrounds. The aliasing is just me not running any AA whilst screencapping them in the editor, not a big deal.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Still, my point is; if texture-only is good enough for the ones on the right, why not for those on the left? Right now you're just introducing unneccesary inconsistencies IMO.
  • Polynurb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I updated my post as to why the main guages needed to have actual depth. The backers are very happy with them and in the end its about the client being happy.