Home Technical Talk

Upgrading from Intuos5 to Cintiq 13hd?

Hey guys!

I was wondering if it's worth upgrading from a intuos5 to a cintiq 13hd!

At first my biggest problem would be lack of touch, which I use to zoom in/out and turn the canvas. Intuos has the touch ring, which is nice for zooming in other apps, like zbrush an 3ds max.

I have a dual monitor setup. Would the cintiq act as 3rd independent monitor or it would mirror one monitor's image? Also, would the pen only interact with the cintiq screen, meaning Id have to use a mouse for the other 2 monitors?

Tough decision for me! You guys have any advice?

Replies

• MethodJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MethodJ polycounter lvl 4
    For me personally, I don't find a cintiq that much more useful than a tablet. But every artist is different.

If you haven't used a Cintiq, see if you can find one to play around with before buying one.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The cintiq would be an independent monitor. Provided your computer setup lets you have 3 monitors, then yes it would be your third monitor....or if you can only have 2 it would be your second.

The pen only interacts physically on the cintiq screen, but you can set up one of the buttons to swap monitors, and the curser would be on the other monitor.

Like MethodJ said..a cintiq is just another type of tablet...so for the answer to "is it worth upgrading?" Thats entirely up to you. I personally love my cintiq and definitely prefer it over a standard tablet. But at the end of the day...besides drawing directly on the screen, it works pretty much the same way.

If you get a chance to try one out before you buy...I think it will definitely help you decide.
  • technokill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The tough call here is that I can only buy this from Amazon, as I don't have an US credit card. And at amazon, cintiq companion hybrid is roughly $900 more than the 13hd.

It's really sad that I can't pay the original price for the hybrid cause really, for $500 it would be totally worth it having touch features and an android tablet. But for $900, not so much.

Think I'll keep my intuos till I can find a way to pay the actual value for the new cintiq hybrid!