Home Technical Talk

3ds max weighting issue

working on weighting the seam of two separate meshes. Before deformation test the verts line up 100% but when I rotate the joint the verts separate as if the weighting isnt the same on the verts.

Hope that makes sense

4fx3yq.jpg

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    If the bone weights are the same, and the vertices are on top of each other the seam shouldn't appear. Not sure why this isn't working.

Maybe make the verts on the seem rigid to one bone and see if that works. Then do some blending afterwards.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should be able to copy the weights from one vert and paste it to the other. like Monster pointed out if the weights are identical it will behave the same.

In the skin modifier click the wrench button and use the copy/paste functions.
    3dsmax%20Weight%20Tool.jpg

If it still tears apart, there is something seriously weird going on.
  • zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, no change...I appreciate the input guys.
  • Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    Could be voodoo. Weird bugs in skin, I think I have seen them all. My magic sauce when anything weird happens is this:

Try using skin utilities. I know it doesn't make sense that this might work :3, but it takes 2mins to try>

Extract skin weights to mesh. Put that aside for a second.

Use snapshot on your regular mesh to create an untainted by bad juju clone. Then delete your original geo. reset xform, collapse that to edit poly (not editable mesh)
    sacrifice a virgin cockerel, burn some sage etc.

add a skin modifier and add the bones back.

Import skin weights from mesh using skin utilities.

test

(you could actually go into the mesh you extracted skin weights to and weld those problem seams so there is not even 2 verts for your final mesh to import weights from at that seam, both verts should be getting vert weight from 1 vert in the end. Or in the case to 2 meshes, you can import the weights from 1 side of the seam from the extracted skin weight mesh to both sets of verts along the seam on the final skinned.)
  • spacefrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacefrog polycounter lvl 15
    what are the dimensions of your model in system units ?
    If it requires insane high numbers ( eg. modell dimensions are about 1000000 units or so, just as example), it might even be some rounding issue. Never seen those happen in skin, but would be logical that such things appear there too ( like in all the other areas in Max, because of it's single precision nature)

But i would check the weights in the weight table window to ensure that they are indeed the same.
    Another idea is, zero them out on every bone and press "Remove zero weights" and reassign the specific values in the weight tool window