Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Griffin-For an A-Level art, help needed

hey there, my Art teacher has gotten me to create and model my own 3D creature and have it put into scene. i have designed basically a kind of lion with wings and have textured it.

as you can probably see the creature so far is not looking...well A-level standard(at least i think it dose not),i need to know how i can improve and make this look ALOT better.

thank you
beginner at this as well.

Replies

• Magichobo666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    griffin+3d+view.png
    Here is the 3D rendered view

griffinpic1.jpg
    Here is a wireframe view

griffinpic2.jpg

griffinpic3.jpg
    side shot of the head(provably needs the most work done on)

uvin+griffin.jpg
    Here is my texture i used
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    for the 'muricans out there, A-levels are the UK equivalent to an AP.

there's a lot of work that needs doing here, but it's better than some third year university students we've seen! i'm going to take a guess here and say that your grade rests on how visually pleasing it is rather than how technically well made it is? there's a lot i would normally say to optimise this, but if it's all about visuals then there's no point.
  • Magichobo666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wire+side2.jpg

wire+side3.jpg

wire+side4.jpg

wire+side.jpg

here are more wire frame views
  • Magichobo666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for the 'muricans out there, A-levels are the UK equivalent to an AP.

there's a lot of work that needs doing here, but it's better than some third year university students we've seen! i'm going to take a guess here and say that your grade rests on how visually pleasing it is rather than how technically well made it is? there's a lot i would normally say to optimise this, but if it's all about visuals then there's no point.

thank you!, i understand that this is not say real time rendering for games as i have worked with unity and know the basics of polys. that's why i smoothed this down to get the visuals.

any way i can improve the visuals or just things in general?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Is there anyway for your to get this all grinded down to 2000 tris? I think if you concentrate on nailing down the silhouette with 2000 tris, you'll be able to have something with a clear read instead of a lumpy high-poly creature.

I'm starting to think my boss had a point about Low-Poly art really forcing artists to understand the value of strong silhouettes.
  • Magichobo666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there anyway for your to get this all grinded down to 2000 tris? I think if you concentrate on nailing down the silhouette with 2000 tris, you'll be able to have something with a clear read instead of a lumpy high-poly creature.

I'm starting to think my boss had a point about Low-Poly art really forcing artists to understand the value of strong silhouettes.

here is my version thats not smoothed, im not sure if i can get it lower but i could try
    the poly count is at 2324 for the whole body.
    Is this better?

wirelow2.jpg

wirelow3.jpg

wirelow4.jpg

wirelow1.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    He looks too much like
    dog.png

when, by Griffin, I think you mean this
    lion1_zpsefcdc40b.png~original

Separate his head from body. Get his head correct. You can spend more poly on the head. Head is very important. His fur can cover up the gap/seams to the body.