Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Practice Handpainted Textures (wip)- Looking for feedback!

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
thebamboobear polycounter lvl 9
Hello everyone,

Recently I did some practice handpainted textures that I plan to use as part of a modular building project.
I'm sure there is till room for improvement, but I came to the point where I'm not sure what to do to improve these anymore >_>
So, I would appreciate any constructive feedback you guys/gals can give me, and I will try to make these better and post more updates of the wip.

Thanks for looking! ^^

jzMjJAE.jpg

Replies

• ElementsOfIceAndFire
    Looks good so far, I like them :D

Are they aiming for the same style? Looking at them seperately they look fine, but I don't get the whole thing.

Upper left looks like something you would see in an asian ambiente, upper right more like a modern building in US/europe.

Lower left looks more like a mediaval rooftop.

But maybe they are intended this way!
  • DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    Looks great! Try to add some color variation with complementary colors to increase the visual appeal of some of the bricks and tiles.
  • thebamboobear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Elements: Lol I was waiting for someone to say that. Thanks for noticing xD
    I started making these textures with not much of clear building style in mind. So the result was kinda all over the place :P
    But now I'm thinking to start with something like a medieval / Tudor house style. So I made a new roof texture for it today:
    xyWUv2k.png

@Doug: Thanks for the suggestion! I have to admit, I'm always struggling to add color variations in my textures :p Sometimes I went too far, sometimes not enough. I tried getting some cool color in the shadow and warmer tone around the bricks. Hopefully I'm on the right track here. Let me know if I can fix anything ^^
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Wow, these textures are great. Good job!
  • DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    The brick texture looks a lot more interesting and dynamic now :P I would say that you should hue shift the roof tiles to more of a lavender than a plum, if you want to use purple though, plum doesn't tend to light well in game engines.
  • thebamboobear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Negev: thanks Negev! :D

@Doug: thanks for the suggestion, that's a good thing to know. I tried switching it to lavender before but didn't quite like it >.> So I decided to go with this orange/red color.

I also started making some modular assets for this project. Decided to go with fantasy / medieval building style :) I'm using this as a reference along with others, but not following it 100%:
    5y8t7.jpg

I imported some assets to Unity to see if they fit each other well and this is how it's looking like right now:

5y7kf.jpg

5y7og.jpg

wireframe :
    5y7Pt.jpg

Now I'm off to make more pieces and show more updates :D
    Since I'm new to making modular buildings, I would love to hear what you think of this and I would really appreciate any constructive feedbacks! ^^
  • thebamboobear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little update here.
    Made some windows, doors, and stairs pieces today. Going to put it inside Unity tomorrow and make some prefabs with these :)
    Here are some screenshots of them (unlit):
    5BJ7B.jpg
    5BIvC.jpg
  • Anthricus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthricus polycounter lvl 5
    Textures are looking tasty bamboo, only suggestion is that one of the stone wall pieces with
    the inset and extruded pieces may look obviously tiled when they are all sat next too each other, variation of the actual model could sort that and you wouldnt have to change the texture! Similar to how you have done for your upright stone wall pieces

ss2013-11-30at022543.jpg
    But with them all in the same place they look to regular at the moment :P

apart from that its looking good, how long have you been spending on each texture approx?

hope that helps dude :D
  • thebamboobear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Anthricus: thanks for noticing! I didn't realize I made them all aligned lol
    Fixed it now, I think: :P

5C1a7.jpg

Hmm I didn't really keep track of how long I spent on each texture, but if I have to guess probably 2-3 hours on average for those tiling textures. Maybe a bit more since I had to do color correction after that.

Let me know if you have other feedback! ^^
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    The new bricks don't make sense.

Untitled-1.jpg
  • thebamboobear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got some updates on this today :D
    Made some prefabs in Unity and getting some buildings assembled. It's still missing the chimney and most likely I will make more prefabs, but here are how it is looking right now:

(screengrabs from Unity)

5LQGM

5LQHk

5LQHG

5LQHY

5LQIq

feedbacks are welcomed :)

@AzzaMat: Hmm I'm not quite sure what you meant by it, can you explain more please? Thanks!
  • esPhys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    esPhys polycounter lvl 7
    I think what AzzaMat means is that the bricks don't just look like they're deeper in the wall, they're shaded in a way that means the bevel is inset into the stone, not coming out. Basically all the edges should be in shadow. The normal lower-right edge shadows from the lighting direction, and the upper-left edges from the shadows cast by the other bricks.

Anywho. Stuff's looking good. I'm just going to bug you and ask what method you use to get the base colour variation in your textures. I'm just trying to learn this stuff myself right now and I'm looking for as much insight into people's methods as possible.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Hey looking pretty good so far. The bricks and roof tiles are a bit too noisy right now due to the high contrast in all the details. Too much black in the crevices, and it's generally a good idea to avoid blacks completely. The texture will be shaded on the model anyway so it's good to keep your maps pretty ambient.
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    what esPhys said :P Other than that the building looks nice!
  • thebamboobear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @AimBiZ: thanks for the feedback! I agree with you and I toned down the contrast in those textures. It looks better now, but I forgot to take some screenshots >_> Will post the changes with the next update.

@esPhys ah that makes sense, thanks for the info! I ended up not using that texture for the buildings, but I'll definitely go back and retouch that. As for the colour variation, I'm still learning about that too so probably can't give you much info xD
    One thing I tried was to make a different coloured material. I think it worked well for the stone but not so much for the roof texture. So for the roof, I'm thinking to shift the hue in PS and make a different texture file. Do you have any methods on this matter?

@AzzaMat: thanks! I got it now xD
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    The biggest thing that I think you could improve on is the contrast levels of all your textures. They all seem to be pretty harsh.

It also feels like you're going too detailed on certain things, its coming off a bit noisy. For example, you could do away with half of the highlight details happening on the brick texture. Just take your base color and go over the busy areas lightly. You might need to touch it up in some places afterwards but it seems to work well for me.

Keep it going!