Home Technical Talk

Maya Isolation selection problems

G3L
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
G3L polycounter lvl 9
This has happened in the recent Mayas for whatever reason and it might be an option that you can toggle. But case in point:

I isolate a mesh in maya and then isolate it's "elements" further. For example I have a building mesh and in this mesh I have the windows, doors and the walls. Say I isolate the walls to only view them and I want to make selections on faces or edges BUT it manages to grab components from the hidden objects (i.e. doors and windows) which is incredibly annoying because some of the doors or window's edges are snapped to other parts of the wall's edges.

I really hope this made sense and I'm sure I'm not the only person this has happened to so, anyone know where to turn this option off?

Replies

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Something like this, right?

Capture.PNG

From what I've been able to discern is that this is something you'll just have to deal with. It's most annoying when you are trying to use the Split Polygon tool and it starts on a face that isn't part of the isolation. Crease edges like to stay visible too. If your mesh is already separated into elements it may save you the headache and just separate them into their own mesh objects until you are done.
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    Yes that! I knew it wasn't just me, surprisingly haven't heard people complain about it more. Well that's a bummer, I'm going to have to separate them out in that case. It's just another extra step I have to deal with in order to work with Maya. Thanks anyways though :)
  • MethodJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MethodJ polycounter lvl 4
    I think I've run in to this - it seems to me the isolate tool behaves differently depending on which viewport renderer you're using. Viewport 2.0 tends to have the extra bits show up as in the example. When that happens I switch to the regular viewport mode.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Dont see this in 2014 though it is there in 2011. Havent tried 2012.
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    MethodJ wrote: »
    I think I've run in to this - it seems to me the isolate tool behaves differently depending on which viewport renderer you're using. Viewport 2.0 tends to have the extra bits show up as in the example. When that happens I switch to the regular viewport mode.

I'm going to try that next, didn't even think about that!
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    iv had this too, on maya2011 with default viewport renderer, havent found a solution yet :(