Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blade Runner - Deckard (Study)

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Chris Bruin polycounter lvl 10
Hi everyone, I've decided to do a cloth study to improve my cloth knowledge and sculpting abilities.

I'm going to try for a once a week update on this sculpt, unfortunately I don't have much time to put into this project as I would like, so I'll post when I have new stuff to show! I don't often post on Polycount, I'm mostly in the hangout, so you can probably see more of the work in there as I go along.

I'm looking for feedback with things I am missing in the piece, details, features, form and folds, as well as the facial likeness to Harrison Ford (which will be the last thing I work on) and the Blade Runner Universe.

I will be condensing this into a "game mesh", something that is a decent polycount but something that also supports all of the folds and edges. It is primarily a cloth study, and not something I'm making for a game, so the quality of the work showing off cloth knowledge is my biggest priority with this piece. Estimated triangle count I am guessing will be somewhere in the 20-25k range, most likely I will render it in Marmoset 2, which will probably be available when I get to that stage. I'll keep it low enough so that I'm not wasting polygons, but high enough that I'm not skimping on silhouette and forcing details into a normal map.

Task List
1. Put shoes into the same scene and make the leather fold and crease appropriately
2. Work on the hair, as it currently stands it's not very good (thickness, flow, etc)
3. Fix issues with the dress shirt (non-straight tension lines, clean up)
4. Pass over all of the cloth to bring it to a final polish stage

Current Progress
Progress_July28.png

HarrisonFord_July28.png

Old Progress

Old Task List
1. Finish posing, giving a greater sense of weight on the front leg (overall balance)
2. Pose hands to hold gunlike object
3. Create gun (Doing this at work during lunch breaks, approximately 1-2 hours a week focused on the gun)
4. Change coat silhouette to re-enforce heroic A pose
5. Block in base folds and tension points
Blocking out the pose.
Base mesh was done in Zbrush from a dynamesh sphere, cloth was blocked-in in Maya.
Progress_October31.png

Some cloth reference material (Pose I am doing is the top left image)
NXqmmxO.jpg

Replies

•  Chris Bruin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, got an update on the model to show off, I finished my first 5 tasks I set out for myself, so here's the new progress.

Progress_November10.png

Next Character Task List
    1. Add in belt loops around waist for pants and outer coat
    2. Add tension points based on those loops
    3. Work on lower half of the coat, further defining the shape of the folds and forms
    4. Block in the next level of detail for the coat folds and wrinkles around the arm
    5. Improve wrinkle quality on shirt and pants

And here is the current status on the gun.

Progress_November11_Gun.png

Next Gun Task List
    1. Block in chamber/revolver cylinder
    2. Create asymetrical parts
    3. Integrate handle into the body of the gun
    4. Improve hard surface edges (sharper in places)
    5. Block in hard surface edges for poly objects

I'm looking for general feedback, so if you have any comments please let me know.

Thanks!
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    A moment of silence for Westwoods Blade Runner. :(
    And a few thoughs for EA hate. :poly127:
  •  Chris Bruin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been working on the gun on and off for the last couple of weeks, here's a quick turnaround of the high poly (Taken in Marmoset 1). A few tweaks left to do, then I'm on to the sculpting part (scratches, text etching, etc). This will have it's own showcase apart from the character model, and will be taken in Marmoset 2 once it's out (Already bought it, now waiting for release :D)

GunTurnaroundHQ2.gif
  •  Chris Bruin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the final stills of the highpoly gun, I'm calling it done at this stage. On to Zbrush!

WireframeWeb.png

If you want to view a very large version of this image, click here. Warning, it's big.
  •  Chris Bruin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my first pass at texturing this thing. Rendered in Marmoset Toolbag 2. Still lots of work to be done on the material.

TextureTurnaround.png
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    It's looking pretty good so far. Just make sure to break up the spec values a bit more and to figure out where the wood will have worn bits, which should kill the spec even more. RIght now it looks like its highly lacquered, probably more then it would be out of the box. The metal on the slide above the barrel looks like its seen its fair share of battles, so make sure to give that same care to the rest of the gun.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    What looks like pitting along the barrel is a little jarring compared to how pristine the rest of the gun is, namely the grip area. Basically, what Dimfist said haha
  • Red Deliallisi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Red Deliallisi polycounter lvl 3
    Without "offending" your character, the gun is the most interesting part of this post.
    Definately because of its detail. BUT...this is my personal opinion...the wood is too red. Makes it look like a lighter gun. Dunno...gives me that feeling.
    Apart that...everything is smooth and more than ok.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    Hey man this is cool. Are you building the lowpoly in that pose?
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    The grip was not rosewood, it was a translucent amber plastic.

Rosewood looks better though.
  •  Chris Bruin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist wrote: »
    It's looking pretty good so far. Just make sure to break up the spec values a bit more and to figure out where the wood will have worn bits, which should kill the spec even more. RIght now it looks like its highly lacquered, probably more then it would be out of the box. The metal on the slide above the barrel looks like its seen its fair share of battles, so make sure to give that same care to the rest of the gun.

For sure! That's one of the things I was working on today, hopefully I can make it feel like it fits with the rest of the gun. For the most part, that section of the gun actually is really shiny. I'll introduce some grain into the gloss and spec, hopefully that will help match it.
    Without "offending" your character, the gun is the most interesting part of this post.
    Definately because of its detail. BUT...this is my personal opinion...the wood is too red. Makes it look like a lighter gun. Dunno...gives me that feeling.
    Apart that...everything is smooth and more than ok.

No offense taken! I've held off working on the character past where you currently see it because I was having so much fun with the gun itself. I'll be going back to the character come Christmas break, so the gun is providing a level of detail I need to match for the character as well. Originally I wasn't going to focus on the gun, as this was meant to be a cloth study, but I don't have any good hard surface pieces in my demo reel so I branched this off into its own project.

I'll be making the red a bit more yellow, it looks fine in the view port of Marmoset but the render itself darkens it substantially.
    LRoy wrote: »
    Hey man this is cool. Are you building the lowpoly in that pose?

I will make a 'low' poly version of the character once the sculpt has been done, in pose. I don't know my target resolution exactly, all I know is that I want 0 loss of definition in the silhouette, so it's going to be fairly high poly at the end of the day (100k tris+ probably)
  • foredea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like your gun work! it is very well polished and it looks beautiful.
    Personally, I think it would be better texture that if you put less specular or put AO on the polygon overlapping points.
    Nice work overall!
  •  Chris Bruin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost done with the gun, at least for now. I'll go back to it after I finish up an art test for a job that is much more immediate.

Here's where I'm leaving it, rendered in Marmoset
    TexturedTurnaroundHQ2.gif

When I go back to it I'll put more work into the handle, I may replace the material as well, instead of wood a tortoise shell plastic material instead. I also need to do more work on the lacquered shell on the handle, but as you see it now is a faithful replication of the original Blade Runner prop that was used. That thing was so shiny!

Here's a high quality turnaround of the gun:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH36qmYwvOw
  • Fridock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fridock polycounter lvl 11
    Wow the gun looks amazing! May i see the maps and uv layout?
  •  Chris Bruin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, time flies. I finally started working on Deckard on and off again last month, I was unable to work on this since I got hired. Feels nice to be close to finishing this now.

Here's today's current state! (Zbrush BPRs)

Body shot:
    Progress_July28.png

Head closeup
    HarrisonFord_July28.png

Shoes are done in a separate subtool, I'll have to bake them down first before I add them into the scene as they are pretty high poly due to adding the leather texture in geometry. I have one more subdivision pass to do over all of the clothes to remove any visible polygons, and one more over the hands, and then I am ready to start making a lower poly version/UV/map baking. Feedback would be really appreciated at this stage before I go ahead and realize that I buggered up something somewhere!