Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Victorian Masquerade W.I.P Feedback needed

Looking for critique on my latest work. I wanted to make a character that would fit into a Victorian Masquerade Ball. I'm currently working on the accessories such as boots, gloves, earrings, etc. I'd like to get feedback on my progress so far. I've posted a variety of images. Let me know what you all think and what changes should be made before I go into the low poly phase. As always I appreciate any and all comments made. Looking forward to see what you all have to say!

You can check out this link (http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127983) to view my previous portfolio work.

5oYU3W1.jpgzM4YcJa.jpg0vMoYzX.jpg9unr7BB.jpg

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    When I think of Masquerade dress, I think of it as a much wider dress around the thigh area. Chances are the ladies are wearing corset too. So, narrow waist and bigger blossoms.
  • kmactastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kmactastic polycounter lvl 8
    This is really cool! If you are not married to the hair, why not do some sort of outlandish wig, or hair design? What you have reminds me of her milk-maid every day wear kind of thing.

Clip+Art+HAIRSTYLE+3.jpg
  • KKolar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KKolar polycounter lvl 3
    Looking really nice. Only thing I would have to say is that anatomy wise, her boobs and waist area needs a bit of work. If she is wearing a corset, which is what it looks like, her boobs need to look like they are being squished and pushed against her chest. Like pyr said narrow the waist a bit and enlarge her hips.
  • Hawkes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I listened to previous suggestions, and tweaked the character quite a bit. I completely remade the hair. I tightened the waist and blew out the dress. I also finished the wrinkles on cloth objects, added some lift to her chest, and made extra jewelry. I'm looking for final critiques so I can move into the fine details/low poly phase. I'd also like to know wither or not it is necessary to model the legs of the character? Assuming this was put into a game it would be a fully functional character but since the dress is so long I wonder if there is a need to model and texture the legs. Previously the full body was only used for reference. Any suggestions on what to do for the low poly character would help. Thanks.
    4oBaLjg.jpghcl5h6a.jpgHSIidAc.jpg

AZ2b4X4.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I quite like her upper body. Especially the sleeves' wrinkles and folds. A bust would be awesome. Can't say the same with her lower body, though. Not sure if you're pressed for time or not. But the dress design is quite uninspiring. Especially the way those drapers simply fall down evenly like cake decoration.

I took liberty and ran some search for dresses pleasing to me eyes.

colored-masquerade-dress-in-cool-colors-tabbed.png
    140708zauf5s5a6hihpajo.jpg
    538DE949.jpg
  • Hawkes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PyrZern, I'm in no kind of a time crunch. I really like the first design. I'm going to take into consideration your and @Chillydog12345's comments. Time to re-do the dress with added wrinkles. This is exactly why I started a WIP thread. Thanks for the help.
  • Hawkes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I redid the bottom half of the dress per advice from previous posters. I've also started working on the textures and low poly geometry. Here are a few wip pics of the final sculpt while I work on the texture.

Victorian_WIP34_V.jpgVictorian_WIPFV.jpgVictorian_WIPBV.jpgVictorian_WIPCUV.jpg
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    This is your final sculpt ? I would say it's 20% done ^^. No offense, just saying what I think, if you're not in a hurry you can really do a lot better, try to think BIG, maybe you won't reach your goal, but it will be better than the average goal you have here.

PyrZern refs are nice, you could go for something like this. Even now your model is a bit boring, and it almost look like you don't really observe your refs ( typically, a corset is made of hardened leather I think, and don't have horizontal wrinkles ), or maybe you simplify them too much because you think you won't be able to reproduce them.

I think you can go for some Victorian extravaganza. There is a ref I really like, it's a cosplay from Yaya Han :

untitled_by_yayacosplay-d64n7rc.jpg

new_granado_espada___wizard_by_yayacosplay-d4qj7cu.jpg

You can fins other shots on her gallery http://yayacosplay.deviantart.com/gallery/

Your goal is to impress people.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm far from being expert on human anatomy, but I think there's something off with her hands and fingers...

@Texelion, damn, those are nice ref indeed. Level of details is inspiring.
  • Hawkes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Texelion, Maybe I should preference it by saying this is my final W.I.P. Sculpt. A lot of the lace and see through detail will be done through alpha cards. This will be done without sculpting inside of Zbrush. There is a lot of small detail that will be shown in texture I'm making by hand.