Home General Discussion

Character Creation Process - Questionnaire

Hello, I am conducting research for my dissertation project and would like to ask you to help me with my task by completing my questionnaire. This questionnaire has been produced in order to gain current industry information on the process of character creation with the aim of creating an industry standard tutorial for aspiring game artists currently in university.

Responses from completed questionnaires will be collected for analysis; once this is complete the original questionnaires will be stored until successful completion of my dissertation, once this has been completed the data will be destroyed. If you have any questions this process please contact me on the provided email address at the end of the questionnaire.

Could participants preferably be industry artists, either freelance or working in a studio, rather than fellow students or people that model for a hobby. Thank you.

1. What are your Roles and Responsibilities?

2. Please describe, in detail, your current art pipeline, including the pieces of software used at each stage (e.g. low poly, 3DS Max > high poly.)

3. Do you have any reasons as to why you use these pieces of software over equivalent programs? (e.g. 3DS Max over Maya)

4. Please describe the amount of time it would usually take to complete each section of a character (e.g. low poly – 2 days etc.)

5. Are there any plugins or add-ons that you use inside or outside of work to improve any pieces of software that you use?

6. Could you please give details, per platform, on the polycounts/tricounts limit that you have for characters.

7. If you gave polycounts/tricounts, what genre of game were these for and does it change with each genre?

8. Could you give details on textures, what textures do you use for characters and also what are the texture size limits.

9. Are there any other restrictions that are imposed on you when building next generation characters?

10. Finally, if you could you give any advice to aspiring games artists’ students, what would it be?

Thank you for completing the questionnaire, please return to: UP609827@myport.ac.uk.

Replies

• MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    Hello, I am conducting research for my dissertation project and would like to ask you to help me with my task by completing my questionnaire. This questionnaire has been produced in order to gain current industry information on the process of character creation with the aim of creating an industry standard tutorial for aspiring game artists currently in university.

shouldn't the teachers at the university already know this information ?

if not, the university should hire industry professional who has up to date technical experience to give workshops and teach them practically.

asking students to write dissertations seem like a waste of everyone's time rather than practical experience of actually making art. i see too many of this dissertation going on now days.