Home Technical Talk

Which game engine? - Jump N Run

Hello everyone, this is my very first post on this board and I have a very noobish question I think. Well, first of all, Im a german guy and my english is sometimes - naah - name it wonky. Please ignore this :D

Okay. Now to my question.
I want to make a simple Jump N Run. Well, simple is relative for a complete beginner like me, but I didnt want highly realistic physics or something like this. The game idea and concept is nowadays under construction and I didnt really know what I want to do. I hope at the end, it will be a mix of Limbo and Scary Girl. The atmosphere should be depressive and deep with a sad story (like limbo) and the 2.5D style of Scary Girl. Something like that.

I know, at this moment it sounds very vague, but this project is a part of my heart and I really want to do this.

Now to my real question. Which engine is the best for this job?
I want to become a game designer and it is very important for me, to take a engine, which is used in the industry. Well, I will never become a programmer, but I want to know the functionality of the different "big boss engines".

This is the only requirement. (....and the preferred script language: Python and/or C++).

If you need more informations, feel free to ask. Im not a noob in the 3D buisness (see my portfolio if you like), but I never used a game engine before.

Thanks for your attention audience.
Have a great day/night and life!

Replies

• joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    For rapid prototyping, and getting something playable up and running, Unity is the best choice imo.
    It's just really easy to get something going in that engine.

You can use C# in unity for scripting, their tutorials/documentation on it is really good, and if you run into a problem, or don't know how to approach something there are a lot of resources/examples/etc out there.

On the graphics side there is a thread about it here, maybe interesting to have a look at:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128498
  • Blackbox Corp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi joeriv,
    thanks for the reply. One question: Unity is very expensive for me - im a poor student - but there is a free version out there. In comparison to the Pro Version - where are the differents? I googled it, but nobody list it.

Thanks for your help.
  • ThomasTheTank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi joeriv,
    thanks for the reply. One question: Unity is very expensive for me - im a poor student - but there is a free version out there. In comparison to the Pro Version - where are the differents? I googled it, but nobody list it.

Thanks for your help.

http://unity3d.com/unity/licenses
  • Blackbox Corp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoops, didnt see this. I expect something different under license. Thanks.
    Okay, few features are missing, but i will give it a try.

Thanks
  • Timidy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How limited is the free version of Unreal Engine 3, alias UDK?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    udk is not limited from ue3 as far as rendering goes at all, main difference is with a full ue3 license, you got access to the source code, with UDK you don't have source code access and will be doing everything with unrealScript, and kismet.

Which isnt a big deal if you got no need to add new rendering features or really big engines changes like that, since whole games can be made in unrealScript easily.

everythign here was made with the plain UDK liscense
    http://www.unrealengine.com/en/showcase/udk/

as you can see it isnt that limited, people got everything from fps, to flight sims to top down rpgs and twin stick shooters here.

A consideration is what platforms you want to support, UDK only supports Windows, OSX, IOS out of the box i heard android and the consoles are possible, but that requires help from epic and prolly a license agreement.

Unity supports pretty much everything, Windows, Linux, OSX, iOS, android, xbox360, ps3 wii, wp8.
  • Timidy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    everythign here was made with the plain UDK liscense
    http://www.unrealengine.com/en/showcase/udk/

Badass :), it can do a lot indeed. Everything I've seen in UDK has great rendering, I agree with what is said about having to work hard to get similar results in Unity, but that may change from what I read on that other thread.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Timidy wrote: »
    Badass :), it can do a lot indeed. Everything I've seen in UDK has great rendering, I agree with what is said about having to work hard to get similar results in Unity, but that may change from what I read on that other thread.

ya im saying it is all possible, but i still do believe the unity approach, and c# is easier for doing things, just mentioned UDK since you dont have to pay upfront to get all the features of it.

for me it would very much depend on the game, for a lot of things i think i would go unity, but if multiplayer and rendering was important to me than udk.

You can get unity looking pretty nice, but that means you will have to code your own shaders, and will prolly require pro version since you cant do custom post processing without render to texture functionality.
  • Blackbox Corp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies.
    After reading this, I want to use the unity engine, but it is to expensive for me and to code the shaders by myself... I think in the future I will need help for coding.

UDK had a big adventage - its free to use and I never want to become commercial. So there is no problem for me. I think I will use UDK.

Thanks.