Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Orc Shield

Hi Poly Peepers.

So i'm back with another model putting together what I have learnt from the numerous of various tutorials around on the net. I deiced to keep things simple and make a Orc Shield based of the Warhammer franchise. As always, feedback is appreciated but I have noticed a dew things myself...

A few things I have noticed is that the mesh might be a wee bit high on the polycount (but it looks so smooth) along with my UV layout might of been better (feedback or ideas on how others would go about this would be grand). I also should of moved the handle and add a leather strap but I was following the reference, maybe, a bit too closely.

I'm still working on the specular map and I'm planning to get this into UDK before I call it done.

So come one, come all and lets hear your thoughts.

[SKETCHFAB]01d5ea60a83b4d7e89f16d7303d664d4[/SKETCHFAB]

SEir1fB.jpg

Cheers - bZero

Replies

• Cibo
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    Not orcish enough. :poly124:
    I think its to clean for a the Warhammer Universe, a sign alone make it not orcish.

Use spikes
    single metal plates
    talisman
    ears or other bodyparts

Your shield is nice and simple but for me not orcish enough.
  • Hannah
    I'm not a warhammer player, but I'd agree with Cibo - more spikes and stuff needed! In a lot of fantasy genres, orcs tend to be in tribes so perhaps look for small motifs and embellishments that could reflect that.

It's a nice start to the texturing. One of the things you could consider is playing with some colours on the diffuse map. At the moment, the red and brown of the wood looks a bit flat. If you throw some splashes of different colours in (perhaps use Adobe Kuler or something similar to make a tight colour palette) then it will add some visual interest.
  • bZero
    @ Cibo - Cheers for the input, the reference I followed where quite simple. I do like the sound of added various bits too it, so I'll have a look around and see what I can find.

@ Hannah - Being a player or not, having an outside opinion is always refreshing. I agree I could make them pop a bit more and thanks for introducing me to Kuler, didn't even know that existed.
  • ducckz
    Offline / Send Message
    ducckz polycounter lvl 6
    iam not a great artist myself but as warhammer fan i feel the need to reply here :P , as the others said orc shield mainly have alot of spikes and skulls and stuff hanging around , also they make their stuff mostly from scrap metal and wood , wich is not as "clean and new" as your model , it looks great but it could use just the little extra touch :)
    also maybe its too late but for your next time when creating wood for the shield better make the planks seperate , instead of sculpting it into 1 piece? i dont know if you did it like htat but it looks like that :P goodluck with it ! il be watching :)
  • bZero
    Cheers duccks. Its becoming more apparent that I should of thrown some random gubbins in there but as a fix I'm going to attach some teeth to the model as compensation. Next time I do anything Orcish, i'll basically kit bash stuff together.

Each of the planks where sculpted separately and then projected onto a flat polygon. I think its ok but I will bare it mind next time and perhaps push the edges it a little more.
  • bZero
    Sorry for the long delay, work has gotten a bit crazy, so trying to find time is a bit difficult. Anyways, I went away a did a quick mock-up (don't judge my drawing skills)of some changes I plan to do.

I'm not going to change this a great deal as I feel this should be more of a learning curve, reflecting on what I could of changed or made better, in either planning or design/concept.

8Lg6gSH.jpg

So, the changes I am going to add are, various metal attachments that have been a bit beaten up. Some teeth, I believe (if I did my research) this relates to the Orcs currency and then a massive split in the shield which has been patched back together with some metal strips.

A few other changes are, moving the handle over to one side, adding a leather strap to add stability and a leather strap grip to the handle too. Oh, and add a bit of variation to the colours.

Feedback is always welcome and the best thing about winter is having warm pants in the morning from the radiator.
  • Coontang
    Offline / Send Message
    Coontang polycounter lvl 5
    Looks cool, I like the idea of having it look like it's been badly put back together :D
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Duuuude if you're going to do a warhammer shield, do it badass :

0607_CAt_52.jpg

062006_CA_09.jpg

Warhammer has so much fucken great concepts ! Don't hesitate to start a new one, sometimes it's better than trying to improve the old one.
  • bZero
    I have been toying with this idea of going back to the drawing board and push model even further. I also feel like I could do a much better job with the UV's. First things, first, research some more, mood board, concept, make it happen. Cheers for the feedback and loving the little PunkBot, you should get him 3D printed if you haven't already.